Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday Sachin

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Happy Birthday Sachin

Sachin Tendulkar turns 35 today.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    There are many tributes to Sachin in this mornings papers. Here is my favourite

"....the greatest and most civilised sportsman of the age".

Mind Over Matter
    Peter Roebuck

Sachin Tendulkar is an immensely strong willed cricketer whose mentality is widely misunderstood, especially in his own country where he is subjected to blind devotion and the sort of critical scrutiny better suited for those in complete command of their fate.

Perhaps, the patronising of Tendulkar is part of the dialectic process. Bored by an adulation the player has not sought, observers search for flaws and upon finding them reduce the player to the company of mortals. These philosophers seem to think it is easy for a prodigy to score 70 hundreds with a billion people shouting his name and to emerge relatively unscathed. Tendulkar is human. He is also extraordinary.

In some respects, Tendulkar has been responsible for his own underestimation. He has refused to play the role of a sporting god, has declined to set himself apart, has denied himself tantrums, has asked for nothing more than to be treated the same as everyone else.

His willingness to listen adds to the impression of a man happy to play his part, a player aware of his abilities but anxious to serve a greater purpose. He rejects his assigned role as the dream-maker and concentrates on practical matters.

Precisely because he tries his hardest in every match, and thinks only of results not his own feats, he has been chastised for failing to rise to an occasion. Yet he has done so a thousand times. Just that to him, every innings is an occasion. If this is not greatness, it is something perilously close.

Tendulkar requires no defending. Like all great sportsmen, his figures speak for themselves. Like all great performers, he has lasted a long time and produced many staggering innings, so many that they tend to be taken for granted. But remove him from the Indian team and see how naked it looks! Tendulkar is worth more even than the runs he has scored.

Of course, his accomplishments have been underestimated. Not that the mightiest of his peers have questioned them. Listen to Lara, Warne and Gilchrist talk about him. All of them understand. They know the hardness of their journey, trying to find a balance between the striving, the compromises inherent in a team game and maintaining a reasonable way of life. Remember that Tendulkar is a man, not a machine.

Like everyone else, he has to recreate himself every day. Every now and then, Tendulkar responds to carping comments. Of course, he is too much the gentleman to react with his tongue. In any case, he cannot because his words are subjected to the scrutiny otherwise reserved for Shakespeare and Dylan. Not that he is as delphic as either man, just that he could start a civil war with a murmur.

Not long ago, his failures in finals were mentioned. At once, it was a legitimate point and an undeserved criticism. Often, Tendulkar has performed heroics just to get his team to the final. Tendulkar does not see himself as an historical figure but as a respected contemporary.

Nevertheless, the criticisms touched him. He realised that the time had come to fill that gap. For once, he had batted poorly in the qualifying matches. Now, he peeled off two magnificent innings that took his teams towards a decisive victory. His effort in Sydney counts amongst the most brilliant chasing innings the game has known.

It never had been a matter of temperament. A weak man could not have performed so supremely for so long. Sachin has an exceptional mind. Just that for once he allowed a little fury into his brain. But India ought not to expect that too often. It is not in his
    nature.

Otherwise, he could not have survived all that he has survived, or contributed so wonderfully in such turbulent times.

India has been given a precious gift, the greatest and most civilised sportsman of the age.
    Last edited by SJS; 24-04-2008 at 01:11 AM.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    HB man......and hope you play many more years for india
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant
    happy bday to him legend... im sure he'll have a good one

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Wish him many many more happy returns of the day... Easily the best cricketer-rolemodel I have seen.....

And the greatest thing about him is the enthusiasm he has for the game inspite of having played so much and accomplished so much. Kids these days get bored of just 3 15 over games on the trot...... As Ravi Shastri once said, he was sent by God to do just one thing... play cricket....
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

India's greatest treasure. Probably cricket's greatest treasure too.

35 years young our Sachin, hope he has a good one and gets fit soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    India's greatest treasure. Probably cricket's greatest treasure too.

35 years young our Sachin, hope he has a good one and gets fit soon.
    Absolutely agreed 100%. The greatest representative that cricket could ever have. Quite possibly the greatest batsman of his generation, a fine leader and most importantly a great human being. Hope he has a great day.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Only 35 aye? Seems like he's been around forever. Dad always goes on about the time he played at Carisbrook when he was just a teenager. Legend.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Happy Birthday to the man. One of my favourite cricketers of all time, a living legend.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    19 years in international cricket then is it? Incredible.

Hope he has a great birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Happy Birthday to the man. One of my favourite cricketers of all time, a living legend.
    Lets have some memoirs, shall we?
    I remember this like it happened yesterday. It was exactly ten years ago and he hit back to back centuries at Sharjah against Australia, first one to take India to the final (143) and second one to win it on this day itself(134). I was 12 then, and I knew atheists were wrong.
    A lot has changed over the ten years, and though he may not be on god-mode for me anymore, he's a big part of my childhood.
    Thank You and Happy Birthday.
    Last edited by nikhil1772; 24-04-2008 at 04:31 AM.
    Member Of AAAS

Supporter of:
    Liverpool FC
    Ferrari F1
    Iron Maiden (Bombay.Feb 1st,2008...I was there)
    UP THE IRONS !!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    THAT Perth century was surreal to anyone who watched it...

I still rate it his best knock. An 18 year old showing the other famed Indian batters how to hook, pull and cut......

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    19 years in international cricket then is it? Incredible.

Hope he has a great birthday.
    yup...

the first inngs of him i saw live was the one where he hit qadir..in that exhibition match

My Favorite cricket player ever since and for ever

Happy Birthday Sachin
    Could we please have his username as well please? Not everyone knows a poster's real name...

Anyhoo, it's no mean feat on the part of Tendulkar. He does seem like a genuinely nice guy and hopefully he can go out on his own terms when the time is right.

Happy birthday.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information