• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is IPL doing a real favor to the world of cricket?

IPL has what to offer to the "cricket" ?

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
I am extremely sorry to start a thread like this and I dunno if another thread like this has ever been started or not .
What I really hate is that all the teams are just gonna play the 20-20 matches . And it really pissed me off . Almost every day I meet with this gas station attendant who is a keen follower of cricket and he at many times has proved with facts that twenty20 has done more harm than good to the world of cricket .
So, If you really are a keen follower and you have an ability to calculate the amounts of evil and good then please admit that IPL has done more harm than good to the world of cricket !

slugger

State Vice-Captain
too early....

same concerns were raised when the one dayer first started...

but if i look into my crystal ball i suspect 20/20 and suffficiently the IPL will turn the game on its head.. the market forces will dectate it...

its easy to run grade cricket matches when you only need a slice of 3 hours in the day.. this will be a slow evolution of change.. but eventually there will be a generation of players who would have only played this form..

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Need to get a new car before you worry about the impact of Twenty20 Cricket. Burning up way too much fuel by the sounds of things.

FRAZ

International Captain
Nope question is simple that, Is IPL doing some favor to the "cricket" over all or not !
it , having 20-20 format is just the part of a problem .

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not a fan of Twenty20, won't comment on that.

But I do think one thing the IPL has helped a lot with is that the teams are made up of top players from all around the world, and they seem to be getting on really well together. This is great to see after some hostility in recent international cricket.

I'm not saying all international matches will be all smiles and friendly chat from now on, but I think it's eased some of the tension.

slugger

State Vice-Captain

But I do think one thing the IPL has helped a lot with is that the teams are made up of top players from all around the world, and they seem to be getting on really well together. This is great to see after some hostility in recent international cricket.

I'm not saying all international matches will be all smiles and friendly chat from now on, but I think it's eased some of the tension.
agreed...

FRAZ

International Captain

Because they are getting huge bucks and bucks bring smiles even on Hitler's face . Once it's finished then do you guarantee the same smiley faces ?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sure, the money's the reason the players are there, but I'm sure they're getting to know one another and spending a bit of their free time together while they're there. I think you'll see some genuine signs of friendship when players shake hands with their IPL team-mates after internationals. Hope so anyway.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
not sure about other teams but for Chennai at least, Hussey seems to have become a very popular player. Almost every youngster in the side seems to be seeking him out and he, in turn, seems to enjoy chatting to them, letting them know of how to get better etc. And not just cricket, he seems to be a good influence on them just as a person...

And I hear similar things abt Warne for the Jaipur boys. So certainly it is not JUST about the money, even though it may have been one of the main reasons for them being here...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Sport has to evolve, it has to change with the times. If cricket doesn't become market-savvy the way other sports have then it will decline in popularity. The IPL is a fantastic money-making and publicity-garnering vehicle for the sport, a fantastic spectacle to watch, and no doubt a joy to play in. I'm 100% in favour.

ret

International Debutant
I m for IPL .... got to see some good cricket, nice blend of overseas and domestic players and ppl are laughing on their way to the banks

and then it also answers Qs like what if sachin and jayasuriya opened the batting, what if Mcgrath and Asif opened the bowling

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah.

Anyway, insomuch as Twenty20 crap can do cricket good - this is probably the way to do it. The one good thing I hope will come of the IPL - apart from the money-making - is that it'll force a gap in the international cricket calender which will become a working holiday for the players.

As I've said, of course, several times.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
If By World Cricket you mean the widely recognised, discussed and well known world of Test cricket yep, the extra cash is a good thing, but no it will never help develop real cricket players as it is mainly the domain for complete players to show their stuff. No place for a youngen to learn his craft...

But if by world cricket you menat to include not just the 10 full members of the ICC, but the 100 additional Associates and affiliates, then the only way they will be affected is that with even more time and money being spent swooning over the IPL, there is the risk that even that half paragraph of poorly written and biased journalism they are supposed to feel priviledged about getting will be taken away...