• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I hate Symonds as a cricketer more than I've ever hated anything before, and I'll openly admit that my bias against him gets in the way of my posts. In fact, I try not to post about him at all. However, I still fail to see where this "poor bowling form" stuff has come from. Symonds has bowled much better than I thought possible of him in his last few Tests, and while I don't think I'll ever be able to view him as a competant Test batsman, his bowling has certainly proven good enough to be the fifth option.

Since the start of the last Australian summer, innings by innings:

1/10
1/21
DNB
DNB (was injured)
0/8
1/25
0/19
3/51
1/36
2/36
1/20
1/52
0/15
DNB

He's bowled in all but three innings across seven Tests and he's done well - he's not only picked up wickets, but he's picked up good batsmen and broken key partnerships.

I don't like Symonds as a cricketer at all and I'd love to see his place under threat, but I struggle to see how he isn't performing the role with the ball that was expected of him. He's obviously a better batsman than he is a bowler, but his bowling is still being used regularly and has been effective.. I don't get the discussion.

pasag

RTDAS
I hate Symonds as a cricketer more than I've ever hated anything before, and I'll openly admit that my bias against him gets in the way of my posts. In fact, I try not to post about him at all. However, I still fail to see where this "poor bowling form" stuff has come from. Symonds has bowled much better than I thought possible of him in his last few Tests, and while I don't think I'll ever be able to view him as a competant Test batsman, his bowling has certainly proven good enough to be the fifth option.

1/10
1/21
DNB
DNB (was injured)
0/8
1/25
0/19
3/51
1/36
2/36
1/20
1/52
0/15
DNB

He's bowled in all but three innings across seven Tests and he's done well - he's not only picked up wickets, but he's picked up good batsmen and broken key partnerships.

I don't like Symonds as a cricketer at all and I'd love to see his place under threat, but I struggle to see how he isn't performing the role with the ball that was expected of him. He's obviously a better batsman than he is a bowler, but his bowling is still being used regularly and has been effective.. I don't get the discussion.
:laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well from the regulars (sans Katich and Hodge) I think pressure is only one Johnson and MacGill. Jacques has been so good for so long, he will get an extended run in the team. Australia still have Bollinger, Hilfenhaus and Noffke who are all in line. And MacGill really needs to explanation really.

Its wierd with Symo, Aus are looking for a all-rounder but have got a batsman. Wonder if they are content with Symo's lack of bowling skills to justify him as being an all-rounder.
Well, he really only had two good Tests against SL but I think you're right, he'll be given an extended run.

And PEWS, that must've hurt dude. haha Nah, good on ya.

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

1/10
1/21
DNB
DNB (was injured)
0/8
1/25
0/19
3/51
1/36
2/36
1/20
1/52
0/15
DNB

I was thinking of his poor form in the OD and t20 format, where he has been recently smashed to pieces, hopefully it is just his anke. But I would also put down those decent test figures to only playing tests in Aus, and that too bowling when conditions are most favourable. He hasn't proved himself in foreign conditions yet, so the jury is still out on him as 5th bowling option IMO.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

1/10
1/21
DNB
DNB (was injured)
0/8
1/25
0/19
3/51
1/36
2/36
1/20
1/52
0/15
DNB

Couldn't agree more. Hate the bloke, but I can't deny he has done very well with his chances.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was thinking of his poor form in the OD and t20 format, where he has been recently smashed to pieces
Test matches are a totally different ballgame though. I really don't think getting smacked for a few sixes in a domestic Twenty20 game is at all relevant to his Test selection.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pick an offspinner for the Test who has dominated this domestic season. Bowl him on day one against some of the best batsmen in the world, then for 3 overs on day four. Drop him immediately after. Wonderful policy by the selectors. No wonder we're winning Tests these days.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pick an offspinner for the Test who has dominated this domestic season. Bowl him on day one against some of the best batsmen in the world, then for 3 overs on day four. Drop him immediately after. Wonderful policy by the selectors. No wonder we're winning Tests these days.
Tbf, you have won quite a few Tests lately. :ph34r:

pasag

RTDAS
Symonds is next to useless with the ball in Twenty20s, as are most part timers. Still not convinced with his bowling in Tests but as Prince showed, he has certainly done a job.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
He has a point. A guy who has done all that in the build up to being selected should not be discarded cos one batsman decided to go after him in one innings. Its just plain too fickle.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ideally with Gayle and Taylor returning to bolster trhe Windies sid the Xi would look something like this

Gayle
Smith
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Morton
Bravo
Ramdin
Sammy/Jaggernauth
Taylor
Edwards
Powell

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ideally with Gayle and Taylor returning to bolster trhe Windies sid the Xi would look something like this

Gayle
Smith
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Morton
Bravo
Ramdin
Sammy/Jaggernauth
Taylor
Edwards
Powell
Jaggernauth has been dropped from the squad.