• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fastest Deliveries

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I was browsing Brett Lee's wikipedia article and came across this, link of the fastest recorded deliveries. It is a self admitted non complete database, but it is interesting to read.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not listed, and probably the most interesting, is one by Craig White.

He is repeatedly recognised to have bowled a 97 mph delivery (the fastest by an Englishman) but all I can find is the same claim rather than hard evidence.

Here is a cricinfo link to Lee bowling at 160.8 which is considerably quicker than anything attributed to him on that list.

In fact, from what I can see, it is a very ordinary and misleading list as it looks like the speeds were only taken from a short (maybe 2 yr) period

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bunch of those records are from 2002 - I guess thats when Lee and Akhtar were both at full flow in terms of speed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not listed, and probably the most interesting, is one by Craig White.

He is repeatedly recognised to have bowled a 97 mph delivery (the fastest by an Englishman) but all I can find is the same claim rather than hard evidence.
The fastest I ever saw from White was 93mph, sometime in 2000 - I forget whether it was Headingley or The Oval. However, White was someone who always astonished me - he could produce 90mph without seemingly much of an effort in his run-up. I often wondered what he might be able to do should he really slip himself and hurtle in a-la Shoaib Akhtar.

Of course, White was injured in 2001 and thereafter only rarely hit even 90mph, never mind more than that, again. These days he barely even bowls any more, which is something of a shame.

But had he bowled a 97mph delivery sometime in 1999/2000, 2000 or 2000/01, I can't say I'd be terribly surprised.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
But had he bowled a 97mph delivery sometime in 1999/2000, 2000 or 2000/01, I can't say I'd be terribly surprised.
Its amazing. The claim is everywhere but never is the game listed. It is even in his own bio on his own website

CraigWhiteCricketAcademy said:
Holds the accolade of the bowler of the fastest delivery to be clocked by an Englishmen of 97.5mph
http://www.craigwhitecricketacademy.co.uk/coaches.htm

Personally I will not give it credit until a game is mentioned and a reliable souce cited. However, the claim can be seen all over the internet.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nantie Hayward there, his record is actually alright, why has he not played more?
Fell out with the board.. A bit of a mentalist actually.. Have no idea what he is doing now.. I'd have him in the wings though

EDIT - Never knew he was from Uitenhage, next door to me.. And he's playing ICL now.. What a waste..

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Fell out with the board.. A bit of a mentalist actually.. Have no idea what he is doing now.. I'd have him in the wings though

EDIT - Never knew he was from Uitenhage, next door to me.. And he's playing ICL now.. What a waste..
Shame, looks like he could have been something. Was the fallout his fault, or the board?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nantie had serious speed but you wouldn't have him in the side ahead of any of the current SA bowlers.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
What an odd list, and obviously not accurate. According to it, Shane Bond has only passed 150km/h once, which I know is nonsense. I'm also certain I've seen a delivery of his hit 154km/h, and his top speed listed there is 151.2.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
What an odd list, and obviously not accurate. According to it, Shane Bond has only passed 150km/h once, which I know is nonsense. I'm also certain I've seen a delivery of his hit 154km/h, and his top speed listed there is 151.2.
Was watching a spell of his on Youtube the other day where (I think) his yorker to dismiss Ganguly was 153kmh.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fairly sure I saw Brett Lee bowl 161 kph one day, Napier I think.
Was clocked at 161.8km/h in Australia against the WI in about 2001 but that was assumed to be a mistake on the part of the speed gun because he was nowhere near that for the rest of his spell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nantie had serious speed but you wouldn't have him in the side ahead of any of the current SA bowlers.
Not any more, but it was a shame how much of a waste he ended-up being. Always thought, ever since 1998, that he could be useful. But he only was for an odd game here and there.