• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you were born as a cricketer who would you like to be?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Simple old question.:)

Imran Khan or Shane Warne for me,both had quite an eventful life on and off the field. They also had one thing in common: an unsuccessful marriage.

Dissector

International Debutant
Richie Benaud probably. I love the idea of being a wrist-spinner out-foxing opposing batsmen. Plus he was a more than useful batsman and a great captain. Seems a thoroughly decent and intelligent chap as well and I doubt anyone has seen as much great cricket from a commentary box as he has.

I admit I haven't read much about him; can anyone recommend a good book on or by him?

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Phil Tufnell....no particular reason why. Just wonder what it would be like to be a Phil Tufnell

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richie Benaud probably. I love the idea of being a wrist-spinner out-foxing opposing batsmen. Plus he was a more than useful batsman and a great captain. Seems a thoroughly decent and intelligent chap as well and I doubt anyone has seen as much great cricket from a commentary box as he has.

I admit I haven't read much about him; can anyone recommend a good book on or by him?
Several: Benaud is one of the great underrated cricket authors.

As for me... Dominic Cork or Aravinda de Silva - ideally a fusion of the two. For no reason other than that they are my favourite bowler and batsman. They're both completely different personalities to me, and without beating on too much about it I'm actually rather fond of being the way I am and wouldn't want to change that in any way shape or form. But I'd still rather like to be them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ray Illingworth. If you took all my current skills as a cricketer and keep exaggerating them at the same rate, you'd eventually end up with Ray Illingworth. I guess I'm the Ray Illingworth of HKHD C-Grade.

Wouldn't mind being Kallis though, thinking about it.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ray Illingworth.
There's an interesting one... I wonder, because of his superlative economy-rate and allowance of others to get similarly good ones... yet still giving himself a chance of scoring... by any chance?

Illy was half the bowler after covered pitches, mind.

And he's also, even more so than with me and Aravinda\Corky, somewhat of a different personality to you!

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Malcolm Marshall/Shoaib Akhtar
The combination of the man who extracted every last morsel from the skills he had and turned one of the typically greatest weaknesses of a seam-bowler into a massive strength... and one of the biggest wasters the game of cricket has ever seen.

Interesting, again.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably Shane Warne, given that the man was a total genius on the pitch.

Aside from Warne, I'd probably go with Lara. Yes, he had some dark years in the middle of his career, but that would have only made it more interesting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Warne and Lara's careers actually followed very similar patterns, aside from Warne's initial struggle which for Lara was a single Test-match and a "proper" introduction in being around the team without playing for a while.

Thereafter, they were both superlative for a long time, then both far below their usual standards for a while, then superlative once more despite a little wavering toward the very end.

BTW... great thread... a real Warne contender.