• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL 4's and 6's - a farce

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I just noticed it, how the boundries have been shortened by a good 8-10 meters. It just makes me so mad and also makes me question the legitimacy of majority of those fours and sixes scored . Was watching Raina's Sixes, none of them would have been six on a normal Chennai ground.

Not just that, it definately raises a question of legitimacy of the entire Twenty20 format (at least in the IPL context).

Correction :- One of them would have been a six, in a proper ground, two of them would not.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fours and sixes are the whole idea of Twenty20. Every single one of the 3 or 4 games I've watched (mostly only in part) has had similar ropes-in.

Twenty20 is not designed to be a battle between bat and ball, as I've said. It's something which is simply about trying to get as many runs scored in 40 overs as possible. And it's why it doesn't feel in the slightest like cricket to me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, its obvious what they want, but I don't like this one bit. The lower scoring games are more often the most competitive and fun to watch.

cpr

International Coach
Dont mind the big hits and boundaries galore of 20/20, but as said before, bringing the ropes in to increase it is just cheating the fans and the players. It may be a different format, but its still top level cricket, why deliberately bring the level down to that of a junior knockabout.

Dissector

International Debutant
I enjoy TT quite a bit but I agree that this part of the game needs to be changed. To keep interest in the format you need a variety of totals and hitting boundaries should mean something. If every game becomes a 200+ bashfest I think interest will eventually fade. I think the average game should be with a par score of 150 with a few games above and below this. Pitches and boundary ropes should be set with that in mind. Bowler friendly pitches should be prepared around 20% of the time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
sideshowtim said:
But den we wont see az many kewl sixes hyuck
Maybe we won't, but we may see a lot more catches, more stumps knocked back, etc. Sixes are already boring, the biggest cheers went for Warne and his three wickets, and for other bowlers who bowled.

People overestimate how much the fans want the batsmen to succeed. Like anything, it loses its meaning if overdone. Maybe you do, I'm not sure, but the fans really enjoyed 3/19 from Warne as much as the 114 by Hussey.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has it occurred that interest will fade far more quickly if Warne-style performances become commonplace than if 180-190 scores do?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Has it occurred that interest will fade far more quickly if Warne-style performances become commonplace than if 180-190 scores do?
Certainly possible, but I think a good balance of 130-160 run innings combined with some good bowling performances will keep the fans happy.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
it maybe raining 4s and 6s .. but if you look at kolkata's wins. there bowling line up leads the economy rates table. the top 5 contain 4 of there bowlers. this tells me there bowlers are backing up there batsmen.

we are only two games in it will be interesting at the half way mark.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kolkata played one match on an atrocious pitch, not that I am complaining. Besides this is not knock on IPL itself, but on the legitimacy of the high scores due to those enormous fours and sixes. IMO 90 % of these 6s are falling under the actual boundry.

I refuse to take any of those batting scores as any kind of Twenty20 Record. These are just farce and I would say cheating fans.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is short boundaries aren't a product Twenty20, its is product of modern cricket. Its they have become stupid in Twenty20. I still think it is a joke that you see boundaries being brought in for Test matches. Especially when they take out the charcter of ground like at Adelaide Oval. One of great things about that ground was the long straight boundaries. Now those boundaries get ropped in 10 metres just for Test cricket.

Also the most of these grounds are probably too small for International/Domestic cricket to begin with. So even they are brought in five metres it becomes stupid. But you will still get top edges going for sixes in these grounds without the ropes.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is short boundaries aren't a product Twenty20, its is product of modern cricket.
I am just waiting for Ten/10 format where the boundries ar so short that fast bowlers will have to start their runup outside the boundry. It is just ridiculous and certainly driving me away from the format.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Maybe we won't, but we may see a lot more catches, more stumps knocked back, etc. Sixes are already boring, the biggest cheers went for Warne and his three wickets, and for other bowlers who bowled.

People overestimate how much the fans want the batsmen to succeed. Like anything, it loses its meaning if overdone. Maybe you do, I'm not sure, but the fans really enjoyed 3/19 from Warne as much as the 114 by Hussey.
lol... I think sst was being sarcastic there, ss.. :)

And yeah, it is very poor. Absolutely hate it. But tbh, I think at least in Chennai, the ropes were only brought in by 3 or 4 yards than normal. As I watched both the test and this match yesterday there, I think I can say that with some confidence.