• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL 4's and 6's - a farce

slugger

State Vice-Captain
another reason they brought ropes in was for player safety... sliding into the advertising or flipping over a fence wasnt to nice... in some old games the crowd sit at ground level right by the rope, ive seen players pull up competely because they didnt want to bulldoze through the crowd. its all for public and player safety.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
another reason they brought ropes in was for player safety... sliding into the advertising or flipping over a fence wasnt to nice... in some old games the crowd sit at ground level right by the rope, ive seen players pull up competely because they didnt want to bulldoze through the crowd. its all for public and player safety.
There is a difference between bring in ropes 2-3 metres for player safety and bring in ropes 10 metres purely for more sixes.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is a difference between bring in ropes 2-3 metres for player safety and bring in ropes 10 metres purely for more sixes.
I'm sure you're right, in that, roping in the boundaries to encourage hitting was a consideration but if you're going full-speed at the ropes to stop a boundary, 2-3 metres isn't going to be enough. 10m may be more than what's needed, though. It's a hard one, though.

That said, I doubt there's been a significant increase in 6's at places like Adelaide Oval. The square boundaries still get the bulk of the big hits. Used to be a few more 5's, though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure you're right, in that, roping in the boundaries to encourage hitting was a consideration but if you're going full-speed at the ropes to stop a boundary, 2-3 metres isn't going to be enough. 10m may be more than what's needed, though. It's a hard one, though.

That said, I doubt there's been a significant increase in 6's at places like Adelaide Oval. The square boundaries still get the bulk of the big hits. Used to be a few more 5's, though.
With the padded boundary markers, 2-3 metres it is usually enough these days. Five metres probably perferable, but it makes a massive difference to ground to bring in all the boundaries five metres plus.

There hasn't been many more sixes down the ground, but there is hardly any fours run these days, let alone odd five. It was one of greatest aspects of ground that was taken away for no other reason then more fours and potentially sixes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Every single foreign player (non-Indian) who has scored big runs in IPL so far has, on being interviewed after the innings, commented on the good batting conditions, fast outfields and the short boundaries.

One can see that in most matches the on-the-ground hoardings are a few meters inside the fence and the boundary ropes further few meters inside the hoardings. Not only does it mean that many shots (including mis-hits as well as big edges) will go over the ropes, but also it makes the batsmen much more adventurous and play more shots (including those which would have cleared normal grounds) that they may have hesitated to play if the out-fielders were further back.

Of course none of the anchors and commentators, many of whom were openly talking, before the tournament started and they got signed on by IPL, of striking a balance between bat and ball to make the contests more appealing for the true cricket enthusiast, are saying a word about this when raving about the same innings.

Its amazing to hear Hussey, Hayden, McCullum, Symonds etc try to be modest about their big innings and put it in perspective and for none of the commentators to touch on this aspect even when, they discuss the same interview soon after

Clearly, BCCI and the Franchisees would not like any of the sheen to be taken away from the 'dazzling' batting on display and it wont surprise me if there are some ground rules on what line to adopt when glorifying these record breaking innings and the amazing numbers of sixes being hit in this new format where suddenly every batsman seems to have discovered his bloodline to Jessop and Thronton.

I would have enjoyed watching the T20 a bit more if edges were taken by deep thirdman (if he was in place) rather than sail over the fence and add towards the batsman's chances of getting Rs 100,000 at the end of the day as award.

I may not be very fond of T20 but one would have understood the need for some sections of the public (potential public) for shorter snappier games but where was the need to further tilt the balance EVEN FURTHER in favour of the batsman. That was already done by the 50-50 format. Cutting down the number of overs was incentive enough for the batsmen to go for higher strike rate since ,theoretically they could afford to lose a wicket every 12 balls to last 20 overs as against a wicket every 30 balls in the 50 over format.

When McGrath was bowling those tidy spells pitching on or just outside the off stump and moving away, I would have loved to see a Tendulkar or a Ponting trying to get some decent runs out of him by playing good strokes that could counter the line and length bowling. But the shorter boundaries mean that a Venugopal Rao will come and try to hit everyone of them over kid wicket in the fond hope that a mis-hit will still get him runs.

I think McGrath would have got him earlier in his innings by bowling on middle and off rather than outside off stump but even that great bowler realised that the short boundaries made it a risk not worth taking and we had this terrible spectacle of great bowling confronted by ludicrously inept batting and yet the batsman surviving.

This is not to pick out one instance from the eight matches so far to cast a slur on lots of good batting one has seen but to point out that those who made good runs, like Hussey, Hayden, McCullum, Sehwag and Symonds did not need those shorter boundaries. But those hapless bowlers do need the longer ones.

The Hussey's and Haydens will still hit the top bowlers to and over the boundaries but lets not see bowlers think this is not a place for them to be. No one has said so but Harbhajan did by not bowling 2 of his 4 bowlers in the last game they lost.

It would have been great for the game to see India's finest off spinner trying to stem the flow of runs. But it was not to be. If we put our new found love for a thrill (read six) a minute aside we will realise that this cant be good for the game - any format.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive not seen a game of IPL so the comments here are interesting.

Im a long time vocal supporter of T20 but only as an athletic and sporting event, not just as TV entertainment for ad execs.

4s and 6s need to be earned and the product of good batting and a bowler should be rewarded with the chance of a wicket if they decieve the batsmen and get a miss hit, rather than see it sail over the rope.

Mistakes that go for 6 hurt the product as the difference between the good and average players isnt being illustrated

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is unrealistic to expect that crowds for these matches will be bigger then ODIs for alteast a couple seasons. Most crowds will be around the Test mark really. To get so many people to watch a domestic tournment is pretty massive regardless. I don't think the tickets sales will be the big factor in whether they make money or not. It really is other things like TV rights that make money in cricket and in sport in general. But for the franchises themselves the big thing is how much of a share they get off this. If there not getting enough to make a resonable profit, I'm sure they will kick a sink and the percentages get changed. Also for anything new like this you usually make a loss for the first couple years. Any business person who signed up for the IPL will know, they need to be in it for the long run to make a good profit.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
you basing a prediction on one team and a couple of rounds in. .. but even this early to call it is little rough.. its quite a simple formular, you start winning and you start getting crowds.. they bottom of the table.

Im forom Auckland the same thing happens to the warriors as it does for any team in the NRL the lower down the ladder you are your crowd avg drops as well.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is unrealistic to expect that crowds for these matches will be bigger then ODIs for alteast a couple seasons. Most crowds will be around the Test mark really. To get so many people to watch a domestic tournment is pretty massive regardless. I don't think the tickets sales will be the big factor in whether they make money or not. It really is other things like TV rights that make money in cricket and in sport in general. But for the franchises themselves the big thing is how much of a share they get off this. If there not getting enough to make a resonable profit, I'm sure they will kick a sink and the percentages get changed. Also for anything new like this you usually make a loss for the first couple years. Any business person who signed up for the IPL will know, they need to be in it for the long run to make a good profit.
The ground in Hyderabad was not even half full - far from it in fact.

I doubt if the crowds are going to get better. They will get worse.

People will get bored with this 'tamasha' as quickly.

By the way, there is another article today on Why the IPL should fail

Of course, the writer here, WANTS IPL to fail but towards the end he offers his reasons why it might. Interesting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You just noticed it?

Didn't you watch McCullum's innings (as awesome as it was), it was obvious the first over of the match.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The ground in Hyderabad was not even half full - far from it in fact.

I doubt if the crowds are going to get better. They will get worse.

People will get bored with this 'tamasha' as quickly.

By the way, there is another article today on Why the IPL should fail

Of course, the writer here, WANTS IPL to fail but towards the end he offers his reasons why it might. Interesting.
Not sure about that. In most competition like this it is usually not until the 2nd or 3rd season that you see crowds really start to take off. Usually they come in mass to first couple games. The half for the rest of series, then increase a bit each year after that. The crowds are pretty much as expected for any realistic.

Find me a non baised article about the negatives of the IPL and I might actually not read those articles without a grain of salt. I could quite easier find many articles stating that the IPL is new world order and saviour for cricket. But most are from baised writers, so I just take those article with a grain of salt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is no doubt that the crowds will be larger than what comes for the first class games and probably more than some test matches on weekdays.

The point is whether there will be enough interest amongst the public and sponsors to make it a profitable venture for the Franchisees.

DLF and Reliance are extremely big and after putting in their returns on their own exposure to the public they may not worry much about losing money but others will need a solid bottom line to sustain their interest. Vijay Mallaya has a penchant for spectacle and will spend lots of money just for the glamour.

PreityZinta may be stupid but her boyfriend and industrialist Nesse Wadia isn't so he will be looking at the numbers very closely. The Deccan Chronicle will be even more conservative.

All this talk about being in it for a the long run is purely derived from the sales talk of Mr Lalit Mody. Whether it will actually be a paying proposition is not such a certainty - it may and yet again it may not.

This is a high risk venture but most will have fixed an upper limit to how much they will put in and for how long before they start tightening the purse strings and look for cutting down the losses.

There was a very interesting article in the Hindu (It was also refered to in the cricinfo article I just posted). This makes very interesting reading.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure about that. In most competition like this it is usually not until the 2nd or 3rd season that you see crowds really start to take off. Usually they come in mass to first couple games. The half for the rest of series, then increase a bit each year after that. The crowds are pretty much as expected for any realistic.

Find me a non baised article about the negatives of the IPL and I might actually not read those articles without a grain of salt. I could quite easier find many articles stating that the IPL is new world order and saviour for cricket. But most are from baised writers, so I just take those article with a grain of salt.
Difficult to define that term. :)