• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So now what do you prefer? ODI's vs 2020s

Which do you prefer

• ODIs

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • 2020s

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • undecided/unsure

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I assure you - if you go through a ODI crowd, and a domestic-Twenty20 crowd, in this country only (may easily be different elsewhere), there'll be far more in terms of number and percentage of the Twenty20-domestic crowd who are not cricket fans than the ODI lot. Though, as I said, there'll be more than a few of both.

By-and-large, in this country, if you don't like cricket, you don't like ODIs either.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I assure you - if you go through a ODI crowd, and a domestic-Twenty20 crowd, in this country only (may easily be different elsewhere), there'll be far more in terms of number and percentage of the Twenty20-domestic crowd who are not cricket fans than the ODI lot. Though, as I said, there'll be more than a few of both.

By-and-large, in this country, if you don't like cricket, you don't like ODIs either.
Maybe that probably has more to do with the way Twenty20 cricket was marketed over there. From all reports it was basically tailored towards the casual cricket fan. Whereas in Australia, it has never really been hyped up that much. Most of the marketing was based on awareness the game was on, rather the heavierly targeting a specific group of fans. In Australia you just basically ended up with the same fans that go to ODI matches only, going to Twenty20 matches. That IMO probably gives you a better long term indication of what the fans are likely to be, then what happened in England. Looking at the crowds in India and attention placed on International players. I dare a large percentage are just the same fans that go to ODI matches only.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The good thing about T20 in England is that I think they charge a slightly less extortionate price to watch the game.. Although based on recent events I might be wrong..

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
ODI's, FWIW. I don't think that Twenty20 is boring, per se, although it is certainly a wasteful sport, which promotes slogging, Hollywood-esque glamour (witness some of the personalities involved with the IPL, for instance) and fleeting entertainment, resulting in every game becoming as homogenous as the last.

ODI's have (or have had) some of these problems to a certain extent (particularly during the 1990's, due to a ridiculous ODI overload by cricketing administrators, leading, very possibly, to match-fixing), but at least there is still some room for technique and memorability.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The good thing about T20 in England is that I think they charge a slightly less extortionate price to watch the game.. Although based on recent events I might be wrong..
I don't think that going to last much longer tbh. In the first couple years of WSC they had the same thing. By the time they came back to fold prices increased rapidly and continued on that pattern.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't really have a preference, depends on the match scenario. An exciting ODi is better than an exciting t20, but I feel that T20s are exciting more often

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is a fabulous tongue in cheek piece about the direction in which cricket is going in today's Hindustan Times. My only regret on readin the piece was that I hadn't written it myself.

here it is in its entirety.

2020: Enter the Dragon
Vikramdeep Johal : HT 23rd April'08​

Date: April 1, 2020.
Venue: Beijing.
Event: Five5 World Cup final.

China wrote a glorious chapter in cricket history today by becoming the world champions in cricket’s shortest version. The hosts beat the United States in the five-overs-a-side final that passed off peacefully barring a pitch invasion by pro-Tibet streakers.

Traditional cricket-playing nations skipped this inaugural event, not due to a political boycott but because their players were on duty in various Indian leagues (IDL, IEL, IFL, to name just a few). Minutes after lifting the trophy, Chinese captain Yin Yang (pictured below in 2008) was signed up by IGL (Indian Gargantuan League) for a record sum of $1 billion, much to the chagrin of Indian as well as foreign stars.

“It’s our Greatest Leap Forward,” declared Yang in Mandarin. All praise for the latest format, he called it the future of cricket. “In these hyper-fast times, Twenty20 is painfully slow and boring. Even Fifteen15 and Ten10 are not rapid enough. Five5 is the name of the game.” What about Tests and one-dayers, the endangered species that are no longer televised? “Our cash-rich board will press the ICC to finish off these monstrosities,” the all-rounder said ominously. Asked to comment on the long-standing Tibetan demand for autonomy, Yang said red-haughtily, “They must realise that only one thing can save them from the Dragon’s fury — and that’s the Dragon itself.”

Well, like it or not, the Chinese are calling the shots. It would be perilous to take them lightly, feels Sachin Tendulkar, who’s pushing 47 but is still far from retired. “Their notorious aggression makes the Aussies look like well-behaved schoolboys,” he quipped, adding that he would love to score a hundred against ‘the Sinosaurs’. The irrepressible Kapil Dev, who recently launched the unofficial Indian Senior Citizens League, is overjoyed at the turn of events. “BCCI bullies have finally met their match,” remarked the 61-year-old with a devilish glint in his eyes

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I voted odi's only because i enjoy the 'arm wrestle' - but when i think about it; it rarely happens because sides tend to just collapse rather than sustain under pressure. at the same time 20/20 is so unsatisfying because its not a contest between bat and ball. i suppose im undecided. both are flawed but both have a place till we can reconcile the two.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Why aren't the authorities this psyched about spreading real cricket all over the world as they are about some dodgy bang bang, cash cow...:dry:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ODI's have (or have had) some of these problems to a certain extent (particularly during the 1990's, due to a ridiculous ODI overload by cricketing administrators, leading, very possibly, to match-fixing), but at least there is still some room for technique and memorability.
Absolutely, as best exemplified by one of my favourite players of all time in Michael Bevan.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There is a fabulous tongue in cheek piece about the direction in which cricket is going in today's Hindustan Times. My only regret on readin the piece was that I hadn't written it myself.

here it is in its entirety.

2020: Enter the Dragon
Vikramdeep Johal : HT 23rd April'08​

Date: April 1, 2020.
Venue: Beijing.
Event: Five5 World Cup final.

China wrote a glorious chapter in cricket history today by becoming the world champions in cricket’s shortest version. The hosts beat the United States in the five-overs-a-side final that passed off peacefully barring a pitch invasion by pro-Tibet streakers.

Traditional cricket-playing nations skipped this inaugural event, not due to a political boycott but because their players were on duty in various Indian leagues (IDL, IEL, IFL, to name just a few). Minutes after lifting the trophy, Chinese captain Yin Yang (pictured below in 2008) was signed up by IGL (Indian Gargantuan League) for a record sum of $1 billion, much to the chagrin of Indian as well as foreign stars.

“It’s our Greatest Leap Forward,” declared Yang in Mandarin. All praise for the latest format, he called it the future of cricket. “In these hyper-fast times, Twenty20 is painfully slow and boring. Even Fifteen15 and Ten10 are not rapid enough. Five5 is the name of the game.” What about Tests and one-dayers, the endangered species that are no longer televised? “Our cash-rich board will press the ICC to finish off these monstrosities,” the all-rounder said ominously. Asked to comment on the long-standing Tibetan demand for autonomy, Yang said red-haughtily, “They must realise that only one thing can save them from the Dragon’s fury — and that’s the Dragon itself.”

Well, like it or not, the Chinese are calling the shots. It would be perilous to take them lightly, feels Sachin Tendulkar, who’s pushing 47 but is still far from retired. “Their notorious aggression makes the Aussies look like well-behaved schoolboys,” he quipped, adding that he would love to score a hundred against ‘the Sinosaurs’. The irrepressible Kapil Dev, who recently launched the unofficial Indian Senior Citizens League, is overjoyed at the turn of events. “BCCI bullies have finally met their match,” remarked the 61-year-old with a devilish glint in his eyes
Fantastic! :lol:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
T20 by a mile. ODI is a snooze fest. Tests are by far the only form of real cricket. But if I have to watch limited overs crap, I'm going to go watch a format where part time crap bowlers can't get away with bowling their crap like they can in ODI middle overs. T20 favors good bowling sides. When Delhi lift up that trophy while bowling sides like the Chargers falter, people will realize this.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Out of cricket (ie, four\five-day) fans who like Twenty20, there's two patterns: one the "I like anything as long as it's vaguely cricket-like"; and two the "I've always had a rabid hatred of the one-day game so I now like Twenty20 better than it".
I dont fall into either camp, though Im assuming you are putting me into the latter.

Ive watched a lot of OD cricket. I just dont think its relevant any more.

It was always an inferior product to Test cricket (just as T20 is) but there was a niche for it to fill and it had some value.

Now its a pretty pointless exercise, where the main motivation for continuing it is the game lasts longer so more ad revenue.

I have enjoyed OD cricket, its just passed it best and has been surpassed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
T20 by a mile. ODI is a snooze fest. Tests are by far the only form of real cricket. But if I have to watch limited overs crap, I'm going to go watch a format where part time crap bowlers can't get away with bowling their crap like they can in ODI middle overs. T20 favors good bowling sides. When Delhi lift up that trophy while bowling sides like the Chargers falter, people will realize this.
:unsure:

Don't know much about the IPL line-ups but I assume you've typod there, and that the Chargers are a batting side??

slugger

State Vice-Captain
i think odi have been over cooked... it just doesnt have the exicitment it use to have.. there is only three ways to play the game attack early.. or hold onto wickets and attack at the end.. or do both if eveything works out esp. if you open the inn. alsso its not suitable for the fastt packed life style people live, they cant give up a whole day for the game anymore.. and its a pity icc have enforced a lame policy aabout restricting int, teams to one t20 per series. if they lifted the rule .. market force/demand will decide the true fate of both versions...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ODIs for me too, but...

ODI's any day.

Dont be fooled by the early crowd response to T20 in India. each venue has still only seen the inaugural game remember.

And yesterday the crowd at Hyderabad was terribly disappointing by all accounts. The first time in the seven matches so far. No ground has yet hosted two games. Its still a novelty.

Indians love a mela (carnival) but I doubt if they are going to go for a mela every week.

watch this space.
Not really relevant is it SJS? If crowd attendances actually influenced opinion on CW, than other than in England and Australia, tests would be the least liked form. Particularly with the way crowds have been, or lack there of, in Pakistan and SA to tests as of late.