• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist and Muralitharan comments

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
I just wanted to say how disappointing it was that the Australian Cricket Board charged Adam Gilchrist over the comments he made about Muttiah's bowling action. I just wanted to see what others thought about players commenting about other cricketers, what rules (if any) should be in place and whether comments made - like Gilchrist's - really are 'detrimental' to cricket???

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
It was wrong to say those things in public.

But, it was a journo who made it public. It was only his point of view and well he is entitled to it.

He also rang and appoligised to Murli.

ALSO did you see his interview on THE FAT(Australian's only)?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adam Gilchrist would be made VERY aware of the code of conduct with respect to public comment so he can't plead ignorance (which he hasn't) but personally, I think players SHOULD be able to comment on issues like that and coaches etc.

Even then, it'll never be as bad in cricket as it is in the AFL. They can't comment on ANYTHING!

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah I saw the interview he did on The Fat where he said that he called Murali in England to apologise or whatever... which just proves my point - if players are making personal attacks against other players, then they should be fined etc. etc., but when they are making a critical analysis and technical judgement of other players, like Gilchrist was, then that is something totally different.

And I reckon Murali would agree...... :-)

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I also heard on the radio (ABC NewsRadio) that the Sri Lankan manager, thought that since Gilly called Chucker(I mean Murlie) and appoligised that the matter was over.

And what the ACB did as far as Gilly was not really important!

PS. GO GILLY for saying the truth!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
I have no problem with what he said, it was how and where he said it that bothered me.

Most players would agree with what he said but know that it's a case of "Think it, but don't say it" as the Codes Of Conduct make it quite clear what will happen to a player if he steps outta line.

I'm glad to see that he rang Murali to appologise and that there were no hard feelings.