Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Best Test match captain?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Archie McLaren

0 0%
  • Warwick Armstrong

1 1.27%
  • Bill Woodfull

0 0%
  • Douglas Jardine

6 7.59%
  • Frank Worrell

1 1.27%
  • Richie Benaud

10 12.66%
  • Raymond Illingworth

1 1.27%
  • Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi

0 0%
  • Ian Chappell

4 5.06%
  • Mike Brearley

9 11.39%
  • Imran Khan

12 15.19%
  • Allan Border

3 3.80%
  • Arjuna Ranatunga

5 6.33%
  • Mark Taylor

7 8.86%
  • Stephen Fleming

20 25.32%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the captains

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Rate the captains

Amid the Brearley-vs-Lloyd thread several interesting questions are raised. So I feel it best for a separate thread discussing not two but many great cricket captains. I don't include Stephen Waugh or Clive Lloyd as I don't feel either were particularly good captains - and Allan Border is included with great hesitency too. But obviously they will receive their share of discussion.

I post a poll for people to vote for who they think best - but as I say, the idea is not really about who's best, but trying to establish why those who were good were so good.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

ret
    from the ones that I have seen in no particular order

Mark Taylor ----> liked his attitude to play for a win .... mostly positive and aggressive

Martin Crowe ----> great motivator, lead from the front and innovative [opened the bowling with Deepak Patel, the off spinner

Imran Khan ----> same qualities as Crowe .... and very attacking

Tendulkar ----> great motivator, carried the burden of the side, good strategist, has ability to bring out the best from players

Dhoni ----> a cool head, absorbs pressure, innovative, strategist and attacking

Those who almost made it

Ganguly ----> could have made the list for his aggression but was found wanting on the tactic front, along with being selfish on occasion and continuing to open even when seriously out of touch

Ranatunga ----> pretty cool customer but sometimes became unidimensional like over reliance on Murali, seen him set a packed leg-side field and then ofc the decision to continue to bat on a flat track to get that world record of 900+ instead of trying to make a match out of it, esp when SL hardly beat Ind in tests

Cronje ----> good but for that scandal

Waugh ----> strong mental strength but not in the league of taylor
    Last edited by ret; 22-04-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Fastest gun in town

I'd add - wouldn't hesitate to include Cronje in this list but for the match-fixing scandal. And while in many ways this is unrelated to his captaincy skills - many of his spurs were won before he even so much as spoke to bookmakers - there are elements of his captaincy that are and will always be entwined with the match-fixing scandal, and make it impossible for me to consider him alongside other skippers who are not known to have had any such illicit associations.

BTW, Ranatunga had no chance of a result in that Premadasa game in 1997. It'd have taken 7 days at least to get a result on that pitch.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Voted for Fleming due to him being the best in my lifetime, and captaincy is such a hard thing to truly appreciate through the history books.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Gotta love the way Fleming gets 4 votes before most people get 1... and at least 3 from young Kiwis too.

Seriously, though - wouldn't be completely outrageous to suggest him as the greatest captain ever, though I'd not really think too hard about it TBH.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Two gullies and a backward point to Martyn make one the best captain ever?
    Fleming was very good, but better than Brearley? Jardine? Even Armstrong, Chappell or Benaud in terms of on-field stuff? For their unifying ability, Worrell and Imran were both top shelf as well. Sir Frank's appointment was a huge deal for the time, and what his side did here in 60-61 left a massive legacy on the game.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Two gullies and a backward point to Martyn make one the best captain ever?
    Fleming was very good, but better than Brearley? Jardine? Even Armstrong, Chappell or Benaud in terms of on-field stuff? For their unifying ability, Worrell and Imran were both top shelf as well. Sir Frank's appointment was a huge deal for the time, and what his side did here in 60-61 left a massive legacy on the game.
    Do I have to repeat myself? Do you realise he played against other nations?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    For their unifying ability, Worrell and Imran were both top shelf as well.
    And because they had such rare skill in this capacity, their tactical on-field acumen is often overlooked. But both were sharp as tacks here too.

International 12th Man
    Richie Benaud of the ones you list for his agression, tactical ability and ingenuity and motivation.

Although I think you are being quite harsh on some other captains including Sir Donald Bradman, Lindsay Hassett and Herbie Collins by not including them in the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Do I have to repeat myself? Do you realise he played against other nations?
    No you don't, and I'm not saying he wasn't a fine captain. I'm simply questioning Richard's comment about him being arguably the greatest captain of all time.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Fleming is the only one I have seen so i can't really judge the others, hence Fleming.

And can we just erase the little myth that Fleming is rated so highly only because of field settings to Australian batsmen? Try captaining (and winning/competing) in games with the likes of Tama Canning and Iain O'Brien.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Fleming is the only one I have seen so i can't really judge the others, hence Fleming.

And can we just erase the little myth that Fleming is rated so highly only because of field settings to Australian batsmen? Try captaining (and winning/competing) in games with the likes of Tama Canning and Iain O'Brien.
    I know, I know. It's part of his mystique though.

I mean, AB won some tests in the 80s with a meh side as well. But I wouldn't rate him as highly as Fleming or others as a skipper.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    No Close ?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    There ia a lovely book called The Great Captains - edited by Arlott and first published in 1971.

It lists (in order of their respective careers)

1. Mclaren
    2. Warner
    3. Jardine
    4. Sellers
    5. Wooller
    6. Surridge
    7. Cheetham
    8. Worrell

Those in red are missing from our poll - one presumes because almost all of them (barring South African Cheetham) made a name for themselves as captains basically in domestic cricket.

To the list of great captains outside test cricket, post 1970, one could add Clive Rice and ML Jaisimha.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Surprised at the lack of Chappelli love here. Of those I've read about but never seen, I'd put him at the top. Top-shelf commentator too when he's not rambling about the old days and concentrates on what's actually happening on the field at that moment.

Of those I've seen, Shane Warne. Let's face it, for much of his career, his strengths as a leggie were his accuracy and expertise in the fundamentals (hard-spun leggie, etc.) as he didn't have a huge bag of tricks, moreso variations on a theme. Tactical nous got him a lot of wickets and on that note, as a captain, I've never seen better. Him and Lehmann going head to head as captains would be a treat to watch because when facing each other as players, it was all class.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information