Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Best Test match captain?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Archie McLaren

0 0%
  • Warwick Armstrong

1 1.27%
  • Bill Woodfull

0 0%
  • Douglas Jardine

6 7.59%
  • Frank Worrell

1 1.27%
  • Richie Benaud

10 12.66%
  • Raymond Illingworth

1 1.27%
  • Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi

0 0%
  • Ian Chappell

4 5.06%
  • Mike Brearley

9 11.39%
  • Imran Khan

12 15.19%
  • Allan Border

3 3.80%
  • Arjuna Ranatunga

5 6.33%
  • Mark Taylor

7 8.86%
  • Stephen Fleming

20 25.32%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the captains

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Command of some very good ODI players, most of whom (mainly bowlers, with some batsmen) got injured constantly and then some rabble surrounding those good players, or is Matt Bell a good batsman now?
    But lost more than he won. To really prove genius, as someone else suggested he was, surely you have to value add? A true genius would have his players 'overachieving'. I think the NZ teams/ players as on balance performed to expectations. I believe the Fleming is great captain cry has become a mythical mantra.

A further example is that Smith is univerally considered a poor captain yet gets some good results considering the teams are compromised by the quota system. I doubt he ever really gets the team he wants. And SA has never had a quality spinner.

To really test a skipper's worth it would be interesting to put Punter in charge of the kiwis and Fleming in charge of the Aussies. BTW I also feel that Fleming never as the leader of the team made the tough runs when it really counted.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
    Really? Not exactly sure how long they were captains but Bothan, Tendulkar, Pollock, Hughes and so on where good players in there own right, but once captain, they and there teams suffered.
    And none captained for any real length of time, bar Kim Hughes whose team didn't really suffer as much due to him as is sometimes painted.

And are you referring to Shaun Pollock there? There was nothing wrong with Pollock's captaincy at all. Nor was there much to shout about with it, but he was far from poor, very far indeed.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    A further example is that Smith is univerally considered a poor captain yet gets some good results considering the teams are compromised by the quota system.
    I'm not sure he is. No-one rates his captaincy as something special, because it isn't, but I don't think anyone other than those who have a rabid, irrational hatred of him (and they do number a decent few) thinks he's a poor captain.

Most people prepared to offer a fair assessment of him say he does a decent job. Not an outstanding one (there are thought to be at least a couple who might do better) but a more than acceptible one.

Another thing I think would be good would be to pick a "best from each Test team".

I'd go something like...
    Australia - Benaud
    England - Brearley
    India - Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi
    New Zealand - Fleming
    Pakistan - Imran Khan
    South Africa - Ali Bacher
    Sri Lanka - Ranatunga
    West Indies - Worrell
    Zimbabwe - Houghton

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Another thing I think would be good would be to pick a "best from each Test team".

I'd go something like...
    Australia - Benaud
    England - Brearley
    India - Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi
    New Zealand - Fleming
    Pakistan - Imran Khan
    South Africa - Ali Bacher
    Sri Lanka - Ranatunga
    West Indies - Worrell
    Zimbabwe - Houghton
    I think both Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor have good claims to be top Aussie skipper.

Yeah, they do, especially Chappell.

TBH, though, from what I've read about Benaud he "embraced" (if that's the right word) defence a bit more than Chappell did - he saw how defence could be both the best way to go of times and sometimes even the best form of attack - witness he himself turning the wristspin-around-the-wicket line into a deadly one in 1961.

Chappell, from everything I've read (and indeed heard from the man himself), placed a little too much emphasis on attack. Mostly, with his teams, he could afford to, like that most hated successor of his Stephen Waugh.

The best captains must always be able to both attack and defend and never shy away or even consider so from doing either.

Australia, with Armstrong, Woodfull and those three have undoubtedly produced more fine captains than any other cricketing nation.

First Class Debutant
    Mark Taylor ,the reason why Aussies became invincibles, in my opinion . Then the older ones ,i don't remember that much .So from those i watched .

You never watched Imran?

First Class Debutant
    Imran khan was great ,but for pure captaincy skills ,i choose Taylor ,he was more aggressive than Khan ,IMO .

International 12th Man
    Australia: Bradman
    England: Brearley
    India: Nawab of Pataudi jr
    New Zealand: Fleming
    Pakistan: Imran Kahn
    Sri Lanka: Ranatunga
    South Africa: Cheetham
    West Indies: Worrell

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    From what I've read, Martin Crowe was a pretty good captain. Whether or not that was based purely on the 1992 World Cup I'm not sure.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Gotta love the way Fleming gets 4 votes before most people get 1... and at least 3 from young Kiwis too.
    Don't know why you ask people to vote and then rubbish there opinion. Fleming could easily be considered the greatest ever when you consider the resources he has had over the years. Imagine if Fleming had captained Australia from 1997-2007. Certainly if there was a vote of which captain got the most out of limited resources it would be Fleming hands-down

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    imran for me..
    just look the pakistan results during him and others time should be better i think...
    and he had a command and respect over his players may be only miandad may not agree
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Don't know why you ask people to vote and then rubbish there opinion. Fleming could easily be considered the greatest ever when you consider the resources he has had over the years. Imagine if Fleming had captained Australia from 1997-2007. Certainly if there was a vote of which captain got the most out of limited resources it would be Fleming hands-down
    But in ODIs for eg., he's still on the wrong side of the win/loss ledger. How is this value adding? Surely a captain to be considered great could have won more than he lost? He commanded many of the world's best one day players in his time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    FFS... "rubbish their opinion". I've done absolutely nothing of the sort - I specifically said I don't think the notion of Fleming as the best captain ever is a completely outrageous one, much as I'd not consider it myself.

I just find it kinda funny that Fleming is leading the poll as TBH I wasn't really expecting it. And the fact that it's Kiwis of approximately my age almost without fail who've voted for him is doubly amusing.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information