• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Perdurable Mr Tendulkar

neville cardus

International Debutant
According to a garbled panegyric in The Australian by Mike Coward earlier this year, "[Sunil] Gavaskar believes it is within Tendulkar's reach to play until the 2111 [my incredulous italics] World Cup if his body can remain as strong as his will to succeed and break more records."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23008146-5014242,00.html

By my own reckoning, he could well still be playing at forty; by Brett Lee's, he should go on into his fifties. Waddoyou reckon?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he can still be playing - and still be being Test and ODI-class - at 40 years, it will truly be an astonishing achievement.

What I really don't want to see though is him continuing to play without doing himself justice - and continuing to play purely because he is Sachin Tendulkar, rather than because he is the great batsman Sachin Tendulkar.

If he can indeed continue to do the position justice there's little I'd love more than to see him go to 40. He has already managed the most remarkable career in terms of length at the top level in history; to take it another 5 years would be truly flabbergasting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF, it's not the most ludicrous thing Sunny's come out with lately :p.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
2011 WC .... I think that would be the perfect stage for Tendulkar to retire .... iirc, he too said that he wants to continue till 2011 and win that WC, which happens to be in India

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wheel him out - he'd still get a few runs. Footwork may not be as good as in his heyday though.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
I wish if he could..
Indian cricket always need an ikon to bulid things around.
(Rohit Sharma's presence may be a threat to him)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If it means Tendulkar's last World Cup innings doesn't read

S Tendulkar b D Fernando 0

I'll be happy.

Dissector

International Debutant
I am pretty sure that Tendulkar is hoping and aiming to play till the world cup. Lifting the trophy at his home ground would be a spectacular way to end his career and that dream will keep him going. Whether he gets there is another matter but I think it's more likely than not. He is still pretty fit and in decent form and it's not hard to see him stay that way for another 3 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wish if he could..
Indian cricket always need an ikon to bulid things around.
(Rohit Sharma's presence may be a threat to him)
While Rohit Sharma may indeed be a fine batsman, I'll be astonished if he's particularly close to Tendulkar's level at any stage of his career.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
If he can still be playing - and still be being Test and ODI-class - at 40 years, it will truly be an astonishing achievement.

What I really don't want to see though is him continuing to play without doing himself justice - and continuing to play purely because he is Sachin Tendulkar, rather than because he is the great batsman Sachin Tendulkar.

If he can indeed continue to do the position justice there's little I'd love more than to see him go to 40. He has already managed the most remarkable career in terms of length at the top level in history; to take it another 5 years would be truly flabbergasting.
Yes...although, curiously, not the most Test matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed he might, and quite something that'd be.

Something surely no-one would ever manage again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was just hinking that an English ever-present would do 50 Tests in about four and a half years, I guess we play more Tests than most though