• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Perdurable Mr Tendulkar

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well... yeah, it is really TBH. :mellow: I can't off the top of my head think of anyone that old (from a serious cricketing country) who's played in a World Cup, though there may of course be some.

Only the very best batsmen (like Tendulkar) would be likely to be able to do it.
Paul Nixon at 36 is the best I can think of. What's more he had only just made his debut :laugh:

bagapath

International Captain
just read the mike coward article. "2111" is more likely to be a typo. the tone of the article suggests he would have meant 2011. 2011 is a very realistic goal for tendulkar as long as he can maintain his body cricket-ready. i always feel that beyond 5000 runs or 300 wickets, aggregate totals of runs or wickets dont matter while judging the class of a player. similarly 70 tests is a complete career in my opinion (about one full year of your life playing test cricket ). so whether a player plays 192 tests or 163 doesnt matter. beyond a certain level, you have proved your durability and consistency. now other factors need to be considered to rank you in terms of greatness

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

At least, in the context of post-1970. Possibly lower the bar 1930-1970, and lower it again 1900-1930.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
If he can maintain his form, there's absolutely no reason why one of the greatest of all time shouldn't continue to play for as long as he can. The cricketing public will enjoy watching him for as long as he graces our fields and television screens with his presence.

Here's to another 103 years of Sachin. :laugh: