• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which spinner would you rather face?

Which spinner would you rather face?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
With respect to Sanz's thread on fast bowling and I will do this one. I went for Warne, at least anything that was even remotely short I would be playing a pull shot or outside off I could try and cut the ball or try and slog Ntini style.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Stuart Clark is a spin bowler now? I'd say Anil Kumble. He doesn't seem to vary as much as the others nor spin it as much. That said, I'd be his bunny.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Stuart Clark is a spin bowler now? I'd say Anil Kumble. He doesn't seem to vary as much as the others nor spin it as much. That said, I'd be his bunny.
Irrelevant 5th option. Some people don't like them, but screw 'em I say.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Warne, because being bowled six times consecutively by him would be marginally less embarrassing than by the others.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Warne, because being bowled six times consecutively by him would be marginally less embarrassing than by the others.
Hate to break this to you, but when he bowls you out you have to leave the crease, you don't get another go

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, depends. Are we looking at it just for the experience or do we just not want to get out?

For the experience I'd go Warne. If I don't want to ever get out, I'd face Kumble. If I want the chance of scoring the most runs, I'd go Warne. I think if you go in with the intention of never scoring a run, Kumble might be the easiest to face. Obviously, I am using the term 'easiest' relatively. Warne might be the easiest to score off because I'll either be bowled or it'll connect and score some runs. Again, this is relatively speaking.

Reason I'd go Warne over Murali for the experience because he is really beautiful to watch and I love his approach to the game. Underwood and O'Reilly would obviously be very worthy but since I grew up seeing the three bowlers above, facing them would be more exciting for me.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
I'd probably go Warne. I'd love to face one of those slow, loopy leg breaks he rips out on occasion. Kumble would probably deceive me with his quicker Googly and Murali would be an absolute nightmare.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
shane warne, he is that good you can pick his type of delivery by what line he bowls, ie leg stump or outside leg stump, the leggy, straight line the flipper or the toppy, outside off stump the wrong un

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I'd go Warne, if only to attempt a full-blooded big hit, then point towards the boundary and tease him for a reaction.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Presuming we're talking for the "if you were a top-class batsman and were trying to score runs" rather than "if you were you and wanted an experience"...

It'd vary. Of 20th-century bowlers, Derek Underwood was almost without parrallel on a drying pitch - Hedley Verity and Wilfred Rhodes the only two worthy of compare. Yet you get the feeling that had Anil Kumble had the chance to bowl on them, he too would have been almost if not as deadly as Deadly. On a rain-affected pitch I'd rather face a Warne or Murali than a Kumble or Underwood.

However, on a "normal" (ie, not very dry, and not rain-affected) pitch neither bowler would cause a top-class batsman undue trouble. And a Warne or Murali (no, I wouldn't split them either, as I've said 10000000000000 times) would be infinitely more difficult.

So irrelevant option it has to be, I is afraid.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Derek Underwood ...He would still get me first ball at this age but I have my best chances against him.:dry:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont want the ball skidding on to me nor do I wanting turning big away. Therefore Kumble and Warne are ruled out.

Murali is the obvious answer for me. Id still be massively out of my depth but I cope with the heavily spun off break better than the others mentioned.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went for Underwod here purely on the basis that there aren't that many damp pitches around these days, and there would be a bit of pace on the ball to work with, compared with someone like Warne or Bedi.
Still get out very, very cheap but jeez it would be fun.
If I had my druthers though, I'd go with Gavin Robertson or Frank Ward.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If its taking place in Australia i'll face Murali, wouldn't be all that worried about him tbh.