• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Brearley v Clive Lloyd

Who was the better captain?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And what did he come up with ? Nothing. Nothing in Test cricket. Nothing in the WC where I believe he was out-foxed by Lloyd.
A captain cannot outfox another, as I've been through before - that's not how captaincy works. There is no point in a game of cricket where one captain's captaincy skills are pitted directly against the other's.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Well, Lloyd did drop Boycs deliberately IIRC, knowing full well that their slow partnership was to Englands detriment, something with Brearley should've realized as he was in the midst of this. Had he tried something, anything, with his wealth of experience, as others have done, perhaps he could've pulled something off or at least made a fist of this.

Imran promoted himself to # 3, Kapil kept chipping away, Crowe opened bowling with a spinner.....Brearley basically suffocated the team and dug their own grave.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet, had Gooch (or someone) blasted England to victory, rather than Garner cleaning-out the middle-order, then Boycott and Brearley's stand would've looked a masterstroke.

And really, I never believe someone who says they deliberately dropped a catch. Apart from the fact that if you do that you're playing a fool's game, catches rarely come slowly enough that you can act on anything but instinct - and the instinct is to catch a chance. What was Boycott on, BTW, and where was Lloyd fielding in this instance?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yet, had Gooch (or someone) blasted England to victory, rather than Garner cleaning-out the middle-order, then Boycott and Brearley's stand would've looked a masterstroke.

And really, I never believe someone who says they deliberately dropped a catch. Apart from the fact that if you do that you're playing a fool's game, catches rarely come slowly enough that you can act on anything but instinct - and the instinct is to catch a chance. What was Boycott on, BTW, and where was Lloyd fielding in this instance?

Garner cleaned out the middle order due to the wreckless strokes they had to play to attempt to get anywhere near the required rate after the turgid opening stand. It took Boycott 17 overs to reach double figures. Chasing what was at that time a huge ODI total either Gooch or even Larkins should have opened.
Lloyd has always denied dropping the catch on purpose, but Gordon Greenidge says in his autobiography in 1980 that they made a deliberate decision not to try to get them out until they showed some signs of accelleration, and as soon as they started to attack the bowling they both got out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Garner cleaned out the middle order due to the wreckless strokes they had to play to attempt to get anywhere near the required rate after the turgid opening stand. It took Boycott 17 overs to reach double figures. Chasing what was at that time a huge ODI total either Gooch or even Larkins should have opened.
Yes, I am aware of those matters.
Lloyd has always denied dropping the catch on purpose, but Gordon Greenidge says in his autobiography in 1980 that they made a deliberate decision not to try to get them out until they showed some signs of accelleration, and as soon as they started to attack the bowling they both got out.
Not surprising given neither were exactly natural strokeplayers. In a modern context it'd be like having Mark Richardson and Michael Atherton open together, though obviously neither were batsmen of Boycott's class in the longer form.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

IIRC Lloyd was at wide mid-on. The ball was hit with no great power, and itwas at an easily catchable height. I can't remember how many Boycs had made, but he was well set. It certainly wasn't at the start of his innings.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Cant see this happening, too much pressure, too much wishful thinking. His best bet was to have Gooch (a better bat) open with Boycs to rotate/accelerate the run-rate.

Notice that Imran did do this in the WC final, but this was a foundation that Pak needed, seeing how prone they're to collapse. Also, to protect the later strokemakers from the moving ball. And it was the 1st innings. And the Eng attack was eminently hittable by the likes of Inzi, WasimAkram, S.Malik, Moin etc. This is what I'd call a masterstroke.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
IIRC Lloyd was at wide mid-on. The ball was hit with no great power, and itwas at an easily catchable height. I can't remember how many Boycs had made, but he was well set. It certainly wasn't at the start of his innings.
That describes it exactly, it was a dolly. Lloyd's own description of it as a "firm, flat drive is utter nonsense.

bagapath

International Captain
clive lloyd. for getting the better of most of his opposition for a long time. for uniting so many different islanders and giving them a sense of patriotism. for developing the four pronged pace attack that relentlessly blew away all the opposition. for playing aggressive but fair cricket and at the same time using the loop holes in the laws and bowling overs at his own pace to accentuate the intimidation. for encouraging his batsmen to play attractive, stroke filled knocks even when they had their backs against the wall. for teaching his teammates winning is more important than earning money and thus making sure no one who played under him got involved in match fixing deals. for leading by example with his rollicking batting and awesome fielding. for showing the rest of the world how cricket should be played.