• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you prefer to face as a batsman ? ?

Who would rather face as a batsman ?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So Who is the bowler that you think you are best equipped, as a batsman, to handle ?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally fancy my chances against Phil Jaques. Any better than that, and I'm in trouble.

cameeel

International Captain
McGrath, but only because he's the slowest of the available options

Actually, by 'handle' do you mean physically survive against, or the easiest to lay bat on?

Craig

World Traveller
I went McGrath, but my middle pole would be flying out of the ground before I laid bat on it or be out caught whilst stepping away and trying to play some agricultral hiok back over the bowlers head.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I would rather face McGrath because I think his bowling won't cause me bodily harm. Unfortunately, would probably get me out the most.

99*

International Debutant
Went McGrath but only cause I think he would bowl outside the line of off and I could just leave it for a while. If he started bowling at the stumps I'd only be able to block and then I'd just be getting edges.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I'd have no chance against any of them, but of the choices, McGrath is the least intimidating.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'd have no chance against any of them, but of the choices, McGrath is the least intimidating.
I think I can score 500 against McGrath but will only be able to get 499 against the other blokes..... :p

Seriously, the others are more intimidating to face than him, so voted for him. Will still be out first ball, regardless... :)

masterblaster

International Captain
McGrath, I'd probably leave every ball that he bowls outside off stump. My final score would be about 0 off 20 odd balls before he finally decides to bowl a yorker and ofcourse knock the stumps over.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
McGrath, I'd probably leave every ball that he bowls outside off stump. My final score would be about 0 off 20 odd balls before he finally decides to bowl a yorker and ofcourse knock the stumps over.
Was thinking along similar lines. The other four would scare me, but I think McGrath would get to me more in a mental sense.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
McGrath, for the same reason as the one for Warne. I'd like to get in a couple of good hits, if only to pi$$ him off. Defending is useless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Again presuming in a "if you were a top-class batsman and were looking to score" rather than "if you were you and didn't want to be humiliated\hurt\both" capacity...

Would go, in order of "would least dislike to face"... McGrath, Ambrose, Wasim, Donald. Waqar would vary - the Waqar of 1994/95 onwards would come after the lot; the Waqar of 1990-1994 would come before any of 'em.

Wasim is a bowler who, despite probably not being quite as good as McGrath or Ambrose, was always a bowler you felt had a better chance of getting you out in a way you had less power to resist. He was phenomenally consistent, but perhaps not as consistent as McGrath or Ambrose and while being buried alive while sweat dripped off your forehead (which I'd imagine was the sort of sensation facing them conjured) isn't exactly enormously preferable to being knocked-over before you'd even got a clue (which often happened with Wasim, due to his speed, the lateness of his swing, and the difficulty that picking him up often presented), I'd imagine it is just slightly so.

Donald, as most people know, I rate the finest bowler of the 1990s and any batsman choosing to face him over anyone is mad.

Laurrz

International Debutant
picked McGrath, the least painful lol

but he'd probably take 1 ball to get me out anyway...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
McGrath, because getting out first ball is infinitely preferable to losing one's.....well, actually the first body part that springs to mind is one's balls. I was gonna say head, but no, I'd definitely prefer to take a 90mph delivery to the skull than to the gonads.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just probably better stay away from the multiple batsmen hit by Wasim, and Sultan Zarawani and so many others by Donald...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Akram. Based purely on me getting trapped on the crease and I wouldnt want the taller bowlers getting awkward bounce into my gloves and body.