• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If the IPL happened just after the 99 World Cup

ret

International Debutant
How much would of Lance Kluesner gone for?
it would depend upon what type of money cricket generated in 1999 :p

better Q, what if Kluesner of '99 would be available for selection now .... i reckon, he would have been amongst the top 2-3 earners, if not the top

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I was a massive Lance Klusener fan in the day so yeah, I'd say a player like him would have been up in the top earners. He doesn't have the same visual appeal as Symonds and, as a fielder in the ring, is a more visible entity but still, for raw hitting and bowling skills, he'd have been somewhere near the top.

Actually, this raises interesting questions about who would have been the top earners in any era of cricket. Imagine if the IPL was played after the 1975 WC for example?

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
The question is what if the IPL had been running 10 years, ICL would have never happen, it probably would include 10 maybe 12 teams. and England, Sth Africa, Pak, Srl, NZ and Aust. would have had there own comp by then. but I would guess the IPL and the eng version would have been seen as the elite devisions where players could have earned the most money. But we will see what the outcome is in 2018 or 10 years from now.

Has any one herd about Aust/NZ making a 20/20 comp 6 teams from Aust and 4 from NZ. I herd someone on tlakback a few weeks mention this, it was ment to start 08 /09 season.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Klusener > than any ODI player in the last 15 years. 2nd highest earner I'd say. Its not all about cricket and considering that Dhoni is young, marketable, he would remain at the top.

Craig

World Traveller
My thoughts exactly. I find it hard to work if you look at Klusener of '99 and how much he would go for, but then guys like SRT would be taking home a motza on the basis he is SRT. Anybody going to have a go at naming at what the earnings list would be like? IMO Klusener would of been 3rd behind Dhoni and SRT.

Dhoni
SRT
Klusener
Ponting
Gilchrist
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
McGrath
Lee
Afridi
KP
Dravid
Ganguly
Kallis
McCullum
Vettori
Hayden
Fleming
Sangakkara

There is 20 or so players there, I had a punt but I have got a few players around the wrong way or missing some, so if you can do better then do so :)

Note I had Dravid and Ganguly up there as I was assuming they would be pretty big in India sponsorship-wise so they would be earning a few quid just because who they are. In retrospect perhaps I should of had SRT ahead of Dhoni.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
S Waugh would have been massive after the 99 WC, and he's very popular in India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My thoughts exactly. I find it hard to work if you look at Klusener of '99 and how much he would go for, but then guys like SRT would be taking home a motza on the basis he is SRT. Anybody going to have a go at naming at what the earnings list would be like? IMO Klusener would of been 3rd behind Dhoni and SRT.

Dhoni
SRT
Klusener
Ponting
Gilchrist
Symonds
Hussey
Warne
McGrath
Lee
Afridi
KP
Dravid
Ganguly
Kallis
McCullum
Vettori
Hayden
Fleming
Sangakkara

There is 20 or so players there, I had a punt but I have got a few players around the wrong way or missing some, so if you can do better then do so :)

Note I had Dravid and Ganguly up there as I was assuming they would be pretty big in India sponsorship-wise so they would be earning a few quid just because who they are. In retrospect perhaps I should of had SRT ahead of Dhoni.

SRT would have earned more than Dhoni if he was on the open market like Dhoni was. He was selected as an icon player for Mumbai so he just makes 15% more than the highest earner in Mumbai. Dhoni is the flavor of the month, but Sachin has been an icon for too long.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I'm very surprised that Klusener doesn't even seem to have had any IPL interest even now at 36 years of age. He's still a damn good batsman and has been performing consistently in recent years. His bowling isn't particularly good any more, but Twenty20 isn't about bowling.

Dissector

International Debutant
Thinking back to the other greats of the ODI era, I think Kapil Dev would have fetched the largest amount perhaps more than Sachin had he been on the open market.

Imran and Viv would have been huge as well probably in the top 5 and more than any other non-Indian players. Botham would have also done well; probably better than any other England player including KP and Flintoff today.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
With regards to other eras: I think guys like Miller, Sobers, Khan and Botham would fetch a pretty penny. Well, that's pretty much the top 4 all-rounders of all-time :laugh:.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBH, I'm very surprised that Klusener doesn't even seem to have had any IPL interest even now at 36 years of age. He's still a damn good batsman and has been performing consistently in recent years. His bowling isn't particularly good any more, but Twenty20 isn't about bowling.
Playing ICL