• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ticket prices in English cricket

Langeveldt

Soutie
Thought this deserved a new and seperate thread.. Just been told that it costs £20 to see Somerset in their one day game against Hampshire today, and if it rains, I don't get a penny back..

Sorry but is this acceptable, or is it just me?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Thought this deserved a new and seperate thread.. Just been told that it costs £20 to see Somerset in their one day game against Hampshire today, and if it rains, I don't get a penny back..

Do you think £20 is too much or are you only complaining about the implications of bad weather?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The thing is tho that England games are generally sell-outs despite the arm-and-leg we have to stump up. I paid £50 for the 4th day of India at The Oval last year which, when you factor in transport & "refreshments", means I probably paid out over a ton for the day. Ground was packed still.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Do you think £20 is too much or are you only complaining about the implications of bad weather?
Bit of both really, more annoyed about the price.. I guess it's simple economics and as long as they can fill grounds up then they can justify setting that price.. I hope all the Kolpaks do well and the ground is full to bursting

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The thing is tho that England games are generally sell-outs despite the arm-and-leg we have to stump up. I paid £50 for the 4th day of India at The Oval last year which, when you factor in transport & "refreshments", means I probably paid out over a ton for the day. Ground was packed still.
If people are willing to pay the prices, then they're going to stay high.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Depends what you compare it with. If you look at football then it's cheap, if you look at cricket as a whole then it's extortionate.

It's a bit sickening the way prices are going up when English cricket is getting lots of money as it is from being flogged to satellite TV.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Depends what you compare it with. If you look at football then it's cheap, if you look at cricket as a whole then it's extortionate.

It's a bit sickening the way prices are going up when English cricket is getting lots of money as it is from being flogged to satellite TV.
Yeah agreed.. I think English cricket is getting delusions of grandeur, thinking it to be more important than it really is.. They've done a quality job of alienating a good deal of their fanbase.. The sad thing is that people actually pay this kind of money.. Is it the same across all counties?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only domestic game I've been to here in New Zealand was free.

Langeveldt

Soutie
In SA we pay R100 for an ODI, and R40 for a domestic one day game, including Pro20. I think there are about 16 bucks to the pound at the moment. I know you can't compare the economics because they are different, but not that different..

Craig

World Traveller
Queensland Bulls often have days during the Pura Cup, on a Sunday, and it is a $1 to get in and I think most things are a dollar as well.

And all the yokels got left in Beenleigh as well.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah being over here makes you really appreciate how expensive sport is back home...i have to pay 22quid to watch an oldham game back home and over here i watch an AFL game for $20 and domestic cricket is $10 or less

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah agreed.. I think English cricket is getting delusions of grandeur, thinking it to be more important than it really is.. They've done a quality job of alienating a good deal of their fanbase.. The sad thing is that people actually pay this kind of money.. Is it the same across all counties?
They have? Tests and ODIs still get full-houses more often than not, and domestic-one-day (and Twenty20) cricket still gets decent and sometimes excellent crowds.

Langeveldt

Soutie
They have? Tests and ODIs still get full-houses more often than not, and domestic-one-day (and Twenty20) cricket still gets decent and sometimes excellent crowds.
But how many are watching on TV? Not that they seem to care about that.. It absolutely beggars belief how a normal person can fork out £100 for a days test cricket.. I wouldn't do it even if I had the means to

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In SA we pay R100 for an ODI, and R40 for a domestic one day game, including Pro20. I think there are about 16 bucks to the pound at the moment. I know you can't compare the economics because they are different, but not that different..
When in Durban I pay around R20 to see the Dolphins (45 overs and P20). Free of course to go and see them in four day cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
When in Durban I pay around R20 to see the Dolphins (45 overs and P20). Free of course to go and see them in four day cricket.
And still our crowds are less than English ones.. Was wondering where the R20 entrance was.. I know its R40 at Newlands and PE..

A few years ago, the ODI tickets were so cheap that a guy at the front of the ground gave me one..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But how many are watching on TV? Not that they seem to care about that.. It absolutely beggars belief how a normal person can fork out £100 for a days test cricket.. I wouldn't do it even if I had the means to
Millions more are watching on TV than are at the ground, and always will be, even if admission was bone free. Why does that matter to gate sizes? :huh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Has cost me £15 to upgrade my TV to Setanta for six weeks to see the IPL, which is cheaper than the T20 tickets I have for later in the season.

Seems ridiculous, but as has been said people will pay it so that's why the price is as it is.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
On closer inspection to the tickets on my wall, it seems that it costs me 15 quid to see any sort of cricket at Headingley, be that CC, Domestic ODs or Tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
yeah being over here makes you really appreciate how expensive sport is back home...i have to pay 22quid to watch an oldham game back home and over here i watch an AFL game for $20 and domestic cricket is $10 or less
Oldham have dropped their prices by 2 quid in your absence mate :p

At the matter of hand, I can only compare to footy. If I go to a Tranmere away game I pay £20 to watch 90 minutes of bad football, so £20 for the potential of 100 overs doesn't seem too bad, the same for the £38 I shelled out for this summer's Test V SA..I'dpay that for an England footy game against someone ****e.

Things probably are cheaper overseas, but I don't know what the wage comparisons are like???