• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ticket prices in English cricket

Langeveldt

Soutie
English football can be considered a bit of an anomaly, but cricket is going the same way by the looks of things.. Ridiculous ground prices paying the wages of a load of foreign players, sounds somewhat familiar.. Ticket prices in SA are about ten times cheaper as far as cricket goes, and wages are slightly less than a half that of the UK I'd guess.. I'm hoping it doesn't cost too much to go to baseball in the states, actually want to see some more live sport before I die..

I'm half tempted to fork out for Setanta, it's against my principles, but it beats watching nothing I guess

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
English football can be considered a bit of an anomaly, but cricket is going the same way by the looks of things.. Ridiculous ground prices paying the wages of a load of foreign players, sounds somewhat familiar.. Ticket prices in SA are about ten times cheaper as far as cricket goes, and wages are slightly less than a half that of the UK I'd guess.. I'm hoping it doesn't cost too much to go to baseball in the states, actually want to see some more live sport before I die..

I'm half tempted to fork out for Setanta, it's against my principles, but it beats watching nothing I guess
Obviously you would know better than me, I thoguht the wage disparity between UK and SA was more than that though. I remember we had a Saffie do some bar work with us in the boozer I used to work in, back in 04, and he said that the wage he was on would be MEGA in South Africa. You're talking £4.50/hour here

Langeveldt

Soutie
Obviously you would know better than me, I thoguht the wage disparity between UK and SA was more than that though. I remember we had a Saffie do some bar work with us in the boozer I used to work in, back in 04, and he said that the wage he was on would be MEGA in South Africa. You're talking £4.50/hour here
Depends on what you are doing really, but in my experiences I've been on just under half what I would be on in the UK.. Bar work/Photography and such, I was on £2 an hour (not including tips) in SA.. It equates to being equal when you look at the relitive prices, except for fuel which seems to be more expensive in SA, and cricket in England of course :cool:

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Was only 5 bucks for an OD game at the G last season, iirc, and if you had a tram ticket you could get in for free.

Craig

World Traveller
Oldham have dropped their prices by 2 quid in your absence mate :p

At the matter of hand, I can only compare to footy. If I go to a Tranmere away game I pay £20 to watch 90 minutes of bad football, so £20 for the potential of 100 overs doesn't seem too bad, the same for the £38 I shelled out for this summer's Test V SA..I'dpay that for an England footy game against someone ****e.

Things probably are cheaper overseas, but I don't know what the wage comparisons are like???
£1 = $2.11, so if it costs you £20 it is $42.25. Generally for that sort of money at the footy (NRL, A-League etc.) you are getting a pretty good seat, but even with Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, $27 gets you a good seat behind the goal posts and that is including your train fare to the ground (about £5 or $10.50 return normally). I have paid more to get into a Test match IIRC.

As for wages, I can't speak for everybody, but I take home $18 or £8.50 an hour so it is just over an 60-90 minutes of work.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only domestic game I've been to here in New Zealand was free.
Yeah, they're free with a valid metro ticket in Melbourne. Not sure about the other states. Was free to get into the MCG to watch the Vics vs WA with Gilly etc.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure about SA. But in Oz 4.50 pounds an hour is only about 12 dollars. Not a lot. It may have something to do with the fact that noone watches domestic cricket here anyway. But test matches are very affordable compared to the UK and even with the Ashes being practically a full house for each day played you could still get tickets for $25. The most expensive in Brisbane were about $80 I think. I paid 33 pounds in 2002 to watch two teams I didn't care about at Lords...that's a lot of money to watch cricket.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Bearing in mind that Somerset have recently had an £8million short-fall in the funding for the ground development, they need to get money from somewhere and ticket prices are as good a way as any to raise some funds, especially as they have half the ground missing this season!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not sure about SA. But in Oz 4.50 pounds an hour is only about 12 dollars. Not a lot. It may have something to do with the fact that noone watches domestic cricket here anyway. But test matches are very affordable compared to the UK and even with the Ashes being practically a full house for each day played you could still get tickets for $25. The most expensive in Brisbane were about $80 I think. I paid 33 pounds in 2002 to watch two teams I didn't care about at Lords...that's a lot of money to watch cricket.
Yeah, it's crap money in the UK as well, minimum wage, don't know I got by earning that tbh, but I was staggered when the guy told me it would have been good money in SA

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it has to be judged in context.

If you are planning to go everyday and they were still charging 20GBP then its crazy. However, Im sure membership is far more reasonable than that.

If it its viewed as a day out then its a fine price for me, though cheaper would obviously be preferable. I just paid more that that for a 20 min horse and carriage ride around Vienna. Id be an idiot to pay that every day but on an odd occasion or treat then splashing out is acceptable.

If you plan to see only a few days cricket a season then I think the context of paying high prices and treating yourself must be applied.

I dont really have too much of an issue with it as long as consessions apply to those that are regular attendees.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Depends where you go. The season has 162 games, so the ticket prices can't be too expensive or no one would go. You can get them for $20-$40. Now some franchises, like the New York Yankees who get full houses all year can charge more. The NFL tickets are the tough ones. In some places where the fan base is small, you can get one for $70, but I follow the Eagles and since there are only eight games in a season, they are usually sold out via phone in two minutes (literally, the last time it took 1 minute and 45 seconds to sell out 50,000 seats for eight games), you need to pay $200-$300 per ticket for a home game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Where I lived you could get a $7 Oakland A's ticket, and that is when the As were very, very good.

I went to watch A-Rods 1st game after signing the biggest contract in baseball for the Rangers. There were 6000 people at the game. Day games in Oakland dont draw many people.

Across the Bay though, Giants tickets are far more expensive and nearly impossible to get hold of. Also the Stadium empties after 6-7 innings as most people there are the wine and cheese crowd who have been given comp. corporate tickets.

Baseball is by far the most accessable of US sports to watch live, and IMO the best to watch also. Its brutal on TV though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Where I lived you could get a $7 Oakland A's ticket, and that is when the As were very, very good.

I went to watch A-Rods 1st game after signing the biggest contract in baseball for the Rangers. There were 6000 people at the game. Day games in Oakland dont draw many people.

Across the Bay though, Giants tickets are far more expensive and nearly impossible to get hold of. Also the Stadium empties after 6-7 innings as most people there are the wine and cheese crowd who have been given comp. corporate tickets.

Baseball is by far the most accessable of US sports to watch live, and IMO the best to watch also. Its brutal on TV though.
Agreed. The Phillies tickets are more expensive, but Yankees and Red Sox are really bad. If you go down to Tampa, or a place with a smaller population, you can get in for $20 easily.

In the US, I think hockey is the best sport to watch live, but baseball is a good second.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bearing in mind that Somerset have recently had an £8million short-fall in the funding for the ground development, they need to get money from somewhere and ticket prices are as good a way as any to raise some funds, especially as they have half the ground missing this season!
So great, dig up a graveyard, demolish a stand that they built only a few years ago, and hike the prices up so they can cater for a few more of the prawn sandwich brigade in the future.. I sure as hell hope they aren't paying you the minimum wage

Langeveldt

Soutie
Depends where you go. The season has 162 games, so the ticket prices can't be too expensive or no one would go. You can get them for $20-$40. Now some franchises, like the New York Yankees who get full houses all year can charge more. The NFL tickets are the tough ones. In some places where the fan base is small, you can get one for $70, but I follow the Eagles and since there are only eight games in a season, they are usually sold out via phone in two minutes (literally, the last time it took 1 minute and 45 seconds to sell out 50,000 seats for eight games), you need to pay $200-$300 per ticket for a home game.
I knew a baseball season was 162 games, but 8 games a season in NFL? Seriously? Apparently I've got an Anaheim (not LA!!) Angels shirt waiting for me there, so it's pretty clear I'll be doing some serious tanning :cool:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
and IMO the best to watch also.
Have to disagree with you, went to a Giants match nearly 3 years ago and it was dead-set the most boring sports match I've been to. It seemed the Baseball was playing second fiddle to the adverts on the big screen at every interval, was also frustrating that the batter took an age to hit the ball and continiously left it.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
So great, dig up a graveyard, demolish a stand that they built only a few years ago, and hike the prices up so they can cater for a few more of the prawn sandwich brigade in the future.. I sure as hell hope they aren't paying you the minimum wage
*Bashes head against wall*

The stands they have demolished so far have been there for donkeys years and were falling apart, the Botham won't go for ages (it shouldn't have been built in the first place). The prices are high-ish (it's cheaper if you buy in advance) in order to pay for the redevelopment, so more cricket fans can come and watch their side. I don't know where you get this 'prawn sandwich brigade' nonsense from. If you'd been recently, you'd see that a huge range of ages and social groups go to watch, especially now that Somerset are back in the top division.