• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Utility players (or less-glorified all-rounders)

Who would make your XI?

• Dwayne Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Styris

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Dwayne Bravo

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • LHD Dilhara

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Dmitri Mascarenhas

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Shane Watson

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • James Hopes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Sanjay Bangar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You misunderstand; I think a genuine all-rounder should be able to hold his place in a good test side with either his batting alone or (more commonly) his bowling alone. Practically every major all-rounder I can think of satisfies this condition. For example the four 80's all-rounders could walk into almost any test side on their bowling alone. Batting all-rounders like Sobers and Kallis were/are easily good enough to be picked for their batting alone.

By contrast a utility player is someone who is useful in both categories but not good enough in either to be picked for that alone in a good test side. That's where I would put Vettori.
If you're good enough to play as a bowler but not a batsman, you're not really an all-rounder, though, are you? You're a bowler who bats a bit, or at least a bowling-all-rounder. There were times, though, when Imran, Botham and Kapil (the latter for pretty much all his career) were equally good with both disciplines. Hadlee, on the other hand, was always a much better bowler than batsman. Sobers, likewise, was almost always a much better batsman than bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you're good enough to play as a bowler but not a batsman, you're not really an all-rounder, though, are you?
IMO, you're an allrounder if both your batting and your bowling have an influence on the selection of the team. It doesn't have to be your own selection, however - Kallis for example would make the South African team on batting alone quite comfortably, but for parts of his career, his bowling definitely would have been a factor in which other players they selected. If Kallis couldn't bowl, we may well have seen Boucher at 6 and Pollock 7 a lot more often. Flintoff couldn't make the England team as a batsman, but the fact that he can bat not only got him in the team when his bowling alone would not get him there, but allowed England to play five bowlers even when it could.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO, you're an allrounder if both your batting and your bowling have an influence on the selection of the team.
Yeah, I know, I've had this discussion with Fuller before, as well as yourself, where he insisted Andrew Symonds was an all-rounder (presume you'd not go that far, obviously).

I don't really agree - I don't feel someone like Kallis (or Symonds in ODIs) can really be described as an all-rounder because one suit is so obviously stronger than the other. For me, there has to be at least something close to equality between disciplines (bat and ball) there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not good enough, I imagine - Arjun never been a fan of his bowling, eh?

BTW something that occurred to me earlier today - is Jeevan your actual name?

Flem274*

123/5
TBF if he were either of their alter egos then I would be seriously considering a "Marshall (J) vs Bradman" thread.