• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Razzaq...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I could probably find eight examples of Elton Chigumbura going nuts and hitting bowlers around the park. Is he under-rated?

A few swashbuckling innings doesn't prove a lot at all. This is coming from someone who, if you're talking about ODIs, agrees with you that he is indeed under-rated.

Beleg

International Regular
I could probably find eight examples of Elton Chigumbura going nuts and hitting bowlers around the park. Is he under-rated?

A few swashbuckling innings doesn't prove a lot at all. This is coming from someone who, if you're talking about ODIs, agrees with you that he is indeed under-rated.

Oh, feel free to. If you can find 8 similar examples of hitting/blocking from Elton Chigumbura that can compare, that is. Hell, even five would suffice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, feel free to. If you can find 8 similar examples of hitting/blocking from Elton Chigumbura that can compare, that is. Hell, even five would suffice.
Razzaq, when he is coming-off, may indeed be capable of feats beyond pretty much anyone else. Same thing was broadly true of Vivian Richards, obviously to a different level.

Trouble for Razzaq is, there are other players who can come-off far more regularly than he. There were also people who could come-off more regularly than Richards.

Hence, why some people rate other players ahead of them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
so you think the examples I have posted are the only times he has played a worthwhile innings?
Do they really prove anything though at all that no-one knew as they are though?

I don't see what point you're trying to make with them. I think everyone is aware that Razzaq could play an awsome hitting role down the order in ODIs and played some superb innings; he was a very good ODI player. What stopped him from being a great player is what he did between those innings and the irregularity of them. Unless you have a YouTube video which highlights a consistency with his batting none of us were aware of, you're not giving us new information.

In the end, averaging under 30 and striking under 80 didn't do him justice - but it's what he achieved. A dangerous batsman and a highly under-rated bowler in ODIs he was, but he didn't do completely apply his batting talent and while he will be remembered as a very fine ODI player capable of awesome feats with the bat, he was not an alltime great.

I am assuming you were talking about ODIs by the way, given the links you provided. Tests are a whole different story...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Abdur(\l) Razzaq is a far better batsman than Shahid Afridi has ever been or will ever be. And not that much worse a bowler.
Actually, I think Afridi is enough better than Razzaq with the ball to tip him to the team as the allrounder, despite his batting inferiority.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually, I think Afridi is enough better than Razzaq with the ball to tip him to the team as the allrounder, despite his batting inferiority.
We're still talking about ODIs, right?

I don't think there's much between Afridi and Razzaq in ODIs at all with the ball. I'd even be tempted to suggest that Razzaq was a better bowler...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never really rated Afridi a great deal with the ball TBH and while Razzaq is probably even worse I feel that the fact that with the bat Razzaq = decent and Afridi = terrible makes Razzaq the more worthy player and it's a bit of a disappointment that it was Razzaq rather than Afridi who headed to the ICL.

Wonder if the assmbled Pakistani crowd would agree?

Mr Mxyzptlk

In the end, averaging under 30 and striking under 80 didn't do him justice - but it's what he achieved. A dangerous batsman and a highly under-rated bowler in ODIs he was, but he didn't do completely apply his batting talent and while he will be remembered as a very fine ODI player capable of awesome feats with the bat, he was not an alltime great.
Was a very mediocre bowler for ages toward the end of his career.

Mr Mxyzptlk

We're still talking about ODIs, right?

I don't think there's much between Afridi and Razzaq in ODIs at all with the ball. I'd even be tempted to suggest that Razzaq was a better bowler...
Excepts statistics (ie, the actual performances on the pitch) don't really back that up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was a very mediocre bowler for ages toward the end of his career.
Indeed. I actually called for his dropping at the end as I didn't believe there was much point in bowling him. I feel he was under-rated for a lot of his career with the ball though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Indeed. I actually called for his dropping at the end as I didn't believe there was much point in bowling him. I feel he was under-rated for a lot of his career with the ball though.
Oh, well worth noting that I'm talking about as things stand. Not his legacy, but rather where he is now and where he was when he last played for Pakistan. Obviously at his peak, Razzaq was a much better bowler than Afridi, but for ages now Afridi has been far more effective, even though he's been mediocre too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ahh, fair enough. I agree that Afridi is/was a much, much better bowler now/when Razzaq last played for Pakistan. I was analysing his career as a whole though as he's effectively retired.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Um.... Chigumbura doesn't have millions of Youtube cricket-youtube Jingoists (apologies for using such harsh terms) to religiously preserve every single moment he puts willow on ball or gets the odd wicket so that's not possible.

Same goes to all players who's skills get judged on the basis of you tube videos

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Um.... Chigumbura doesn't have millions of Youtube cricket-youtube Jingoists (apologies for using such harsh terms) to religiously preserve every single moment he puts willow on ball or gets the odd wicket so that's not possible.

Same goes to all players who's skills get judged on the basis of you tube videos
I record Zimbabwe games on my PC (when I can get hold of them..) so I could probably upload eight examples of him going nuts from my own collection if I could really be bothered. It's not going to happen though - certainly not at 5am.