• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most under-rated test innings?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pakistan vs Sri Lanka doesn't tend to be the most high-profile of series, no - if that knock had been made against Australia, India or England it might well have been lauded to the treetops.

Another knock that's massively underrated is Michael Vaughan's 76 against West Indies at Headingley in 2000.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan vs Sri Lanka doesn't tend to be the most high-profile of series, no - if that knock had been made against Australia, India or England it might well have been lauded to the treetops.

Another knock that's massively underrated is Michael Vaughan's 76 against West Indies at Headingley in 2000.
The things this knock had going in its favor.

1) It was not a road as seen by the sub par scores in the first innings

2) The bowling attack he was facing was quite decent. (Remember Sami was still 150+ while Kaneria was going through his best period and then add a fit Shoaib to the mix.)

3) The innings had it all some good solid batting in the first half and then typical Jaya's ruthless aggression in the latter half. He add 101 for the 9th wicket with Dilhara whose contribution was 0:-O

sideshowtim

Banned
Ponting's 118* against Bangladesh in this Test:

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/238171.html

Facing a hugely embarassing loss...Ponting stood up while most of the team fell around him on what was changing into a pretty difficult track...Chasing over 300 which is never easy in a Test either. The pressure on him must've been enormous. I have little doubt that there would've been calls for his head as captain if we'd lost that Test (There were calls for his head after we won 16 straight ffs). Gilchrist's in the first innings needs a huge mention too.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Facing a hugely embarassing loss...Ponting stood up while most of the team fell around him on what was changing into a pretty difficult track...Chasing over 300 which is never easy in a Test either. The pressure on him must've been enormous. I have little doubt that there would've been calls for his head as captain if we'd lost that Test (There were calls for his head after we won 16 straight ffs). Gilchrist's in the first innings needs a huge mention too.
If anything, I would consider Gilly's innings above Ponting's. And the following performance in the 4th innings above Ponting's and Gilly's both :-

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/64045.html

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

If anything, I would consider Gilly's innings above Ponting's. And the following performance in the 4th innings above Ponting's and Gilly's both :-

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/64045.html
Excellent performances, but maybe if those games deserved Test status we could consider them a little more seriously.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's an impossible question to answer with any pretence at authority because there must be literally dozens of gutsy knocks from the early days of cricket than posterity, fickle mistress that she is, hasn't seen fit to garland.

Of the games I've seen I'd say that Alec Stewart's monumentally brave 9* in the abandoned test at Sabina in 98 is worthy of recognition way above & beyond the runs scored. Ambrose & Walsh were charging in on a pitch that was disintegrating almost from the first ball. Alec must've been hit three or four times but typically didn't flinch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely as a fan of Atherton his 185* against a hostile South African attack must be on the list for you.
Nah not really, that innings mostly tends to get the credit it deserves IMO. Widely acknowledged as the second-greatest rearguard in Test history, and rightly so.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Hmm...I do wonder why Michael Hussey's 122 against South Africa at the MCG in 2005/06 never gets a mention. Kallis did indeed drop a sitter off him when he had about 27 runs next to his name and he did profit from some odd field placings. However, adding 107 runs with Glenn McGrath (even though he was no longer in the 'ferret' category by that point) is an achievement in itself. The innings arguably allowed us to get a lead, which was crucial on a pitch which, IIRC, wasn't terribly easy to bat on (hell, even Symonds caused problems). Some of the shots that he played, against a good bowling attack (an in-form Nel and Ntini, with Kallis and Pollock providing good back-up), were also superlative (i.e - hitting Nel for two sixes over mid-off).