Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Most under-rated test innings?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I dont know about under-rated but I came across one amazing innings. Amazing because of the context, the situation, the attack and most of all the complete inadequacy (it appears) of the individual concerned to play such an innings.

It was a hot May day in the Carribean (Kensington Oval) and West Indies were pitted against Johnston's Australians. Australia had batted first and amassed a mammoth 668 runs Everyone got runs but the century makers were the world's finest pair of fast bowlers of the times, Lindwall and Miller !

Almost every West Indian got a start but no one stayed long and finally they found themselves at 147 for 6. Still 521 runs behind and an inexperienced (near bunny of a batsman) in wicket keeper Clairmont Depieza to join the skipper Denis Atkinson.

It was Atkinson's 14th test match and his highest score till date was 74. The young wicket keeper was playing his second test match and his highest first class score, in four first class seasons, was 44 , the second highest being 26 !!

Not a great comfort for West Indian supporters.

The bowling attack had Miller, Lindwall, Benaud and left armer Ian Johnson. It was a no contest.

Depieza stayed with his skipper in what is still a West Indian record partnership for the 7th wicket of 347 runs !! When he got out they were just 6 short of 500. The young man had scored 122 runs. Atkinson scored 219 (his one and only test hundred) and the follow on was avoided and the match drawn.

I am sure there would have been more amazingly unexpected knocks in test cricket but I dont know of one that is so little known except to those following partnership records for it is still a record after more than half a century.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really? First I've heard of that, if so obviously he wouldn't even have come close to winning the game but for Moin.

Was this actually realistically a stumping, or was this something that clipped the end of Moin's fingertips and which he actually didn't have any chance at all of taking cleanly?
    even I had forgotten it, tbh.

Guess the chances one gets in a match that was won gets highlighted more too than the innings in other games....
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well it can do, obviously, but mostly if a chance is given it gets mentioned.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    , dawg you is problems son..
    Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    can you give us the scores he was dropped on. 1 maybe but 4 seriously....
    Actually looking now I can only find 2... off Bond to Astle on 11 and Cairns a c&b on 51. Thought there were more, but maybe those were the only ones.

Banned
    Inzamam's 138 not out against Bangladesh.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information