• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asian Invasion in English Cricket

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
With the first round of the new County season soon to be finished, it is interesting to note the influx of players of an Asian background in the competition. I'm just curious as to how many of these players of an Asian background could possibly be featured in an English side Test, ODI or 20/20.

Ravi Bopara: already has had a taste of international cricket with mixed success. I get the feeling once Freddie is gone from the reckoning (who knows when that may be), Bopara will get his cahnce to flourish. He has batted too low in ODIs and was picked to early to play Test. Definite long term prospect for England.

Samit Patel: probably one of the best u-25 batsmen is the country, with such a record - average +45, I'm suprised that he hasn't had many more fans claiming a future English position for him. Any thoughts as to whether he will play for England?

Varun Chopra: doubt he will amount to anything of note

Moeen Ali: could be an Ali Brown like figure or a KP like figure. Will surely play for England in ODIs but his success could go either way. An exciting prospect nonetheless and if there is anyone who I would like to see succeed, it would be him

Sajid Mahmood: I'll keep it short and sweet. Has had his taste, I got a feeling he might go the same way as Sidebottom

Kabir Ali: has performed well at the domestic level, worthy of a call up, more than likely won't get it

Adil Rashid: a few more seasons in County will determine which path he takes. Someone mentioned that he will take the same route as KP and become a batsman rather than the bowler he was touted to be. But I think he can develop his bowling along nicely. Hopefully he can average sub 35 with ball and above 40 with the bat. At least with Monty in the team, Rashid won't be rushed in. Hell of a prospect.

Owais Shah: forgot to mention him. i guess its only a matter of time for him and a matter of time for Strauss too.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Well England certainly has a fair number of people from Asian descent. Probably over respresented in FC cricket, but not by too much. Probably down to the factor that cricket is by far the no 1 sport in Asian culture, whereas the White kids will spend a summer evening playing football instead.

Ravi Bopara: already has had a taste of international cricket with mixed success. I get the feeling once Freddie is gone from the reckoning (who knows when that may be), Bopara will get his cahnce to flourish. He has batted too low in ODIs and was picked to early to play Test. Definite long term prospect for England.
Hmm, wont flourish if he's taking over Freddie's role, purely because he's not comparable. Unless Ravi's the new Imran Khan (which i doubt), nobody's gonna fill that role for probably a generation. Talent like Freddie's is few and far between, and Bopara isnt the alrounder Flintoff is when he's fully fit. Would've suggested him more for the Collingwood role, decent batsman worth chucking the ball for 5 overs.

Samit Patel: probably one of the best u-25 batsmen is the country, with such a record - average +45, I'm suprised that he hasn't had many more fans claiming a future English position for him. Any thoughts as to whether he will play for England?
Good season this year, and he'll be in the mix IMO

Not writing him off yet, still young and learning. Highly thought of I believe.

Sajid Mahmood: I'll keep it short and sweet. Has had his taste, I got a feeling he might go the same way as Sidebottom
What, come back 6 years later with a bang? Hoping so from a Lancashire point of view :)

Kabir Ali: has performed well at the domestic level, worthy of a call up, more than likely won't get it
Had his call up, had a run in the OD side, didnt do enough to impress. Like many a bowler, stands out in FC but not quite able to make the jump to test standard

Adil Rashid: a few more seasons in County will determine which path he takes. Someone mentioned that he will take the same route as KP and become a batsman rather than the bowler he was touted to be. But I think he can develop his bowling along nicely. Hopefully he can average sub 35 with ball and above 40 with the bat. At least with Monty in the team, Rashid won't be rushed in. Hell of a prospect.
Agreed, hoping another spinner doesnt get ruined by early pressure on his career, let him learn his trade, with mebbie an odd app here and there for a few years. Doubt he'll bat as well as you hope, but FC level reckon he should do better than that (hell, Giles kept his ave below 30!)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always thought Samit Patel was a fine batsman, I really thought there may have been more fans of this forum.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taught in England early last year, and struggled through the register many times. Expect a lot more Asian names in the England cricket side in years to come.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Hmm, wont flourish if he's taking over Freddie's role, purely because he's not comparable. Unless Ravi's the new Imran Khan (which i doubt), nobody's gonna fill that role for probably a generation. Talent like Freddie's is few and far between, and Bopara isnt the alrounder Flintoff is when he's fully fit. Would've suggested him more for the Collingwood role, decent batsman worth chucking the ball for 5 overs.
I don't think that Flintoff is as good an all-rounder as everyone says he is. I didn't state what I did as Bopara being the replacement of Flintoff, but as a replacement solely as a batsman.

As for Mahmood and Ali, why can't they do the same as Sidebottom? Ali has been great for the last 2 seasons and has started of well thus far and Mahmood finished the back end of last season well.

Rashid, he was Yorkshire's 4th highest run scorer last season and averaged 45+, hopefully he can maintain something above 40.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the first round of the new County season soon to be finished, it is interesting to note the influx of players of an Asian background in the competition. I'm just curious as to how many of these players of an Asian background could possibly be featured in an English side Test, ODI or 20/20.

Moeen Ali: could be an Ali Brown like figure or a KP like figure. Will surely play for England in ODIs but his success could go either way. An exciting prospect nonetheless and if there is anyone who I would like to see succeed, it would be him

Owais Shah: forgot to mention him. i guess its only a matter of time for him and a matter of time for Strauss too.

Thoughts?
Hmm...

Bopara and Flintoff aren't really comparable, are they? :huh: The bowling all-rounder and the batsman.

Samit Patel I've never really been truly sure of TBH. For one who's been so impressive, there's been remarkably little written of him and he's only been playing much the last couple of seasons in which time I've watched next to no domestic cricket. Must keep more up to date this year and hopefully I can make-up a mind.

Chopra - still have hopes for him.

Moeen Ali is still very young and hasn't done much yet.

Sajid Mahmood is one of the worst bowlers I've ever seen and I don't expect that to change.

Kabir Ali I suspect will remain just a little short of what's required to be an outstanding domestic (and hence adaquete international) bowler and will remain merely good at the domestic level.

Adil Rashid too is still exceedingly young, his wristspin has inevitably been hugely overhyped, but is nonetheless still better than that of most Englishmen who've tried to bowl it in the last 40 years. He appears a batsman of great promise.

Owais Shah is obviously exceedingly unfortunate more Test avenues have not opened-up for him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Kabir Ali I suspect will remain just a little short of what's required to be an outstanding domestic (and hence adaquete international) bowler and will remain merely good at the domestic level.
Saw him in a County game last season and he was around the 87mph mark, a yard or two quicker than when he last played international cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's good, but he'd need to be more accurate than he's ever seemed to me to be to make that vital step up.

Langeveldt

Soutie
And yet bar Nasser Hussain, Monty Panesar and possibly Adil Rashid in the future, there is very little international class talent to speak of..

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Broad that may change in future, and while Kabir clearly > Harmison as their careers stand, the reasons for Harmison repeatedly being picked ahead of him are obvious, that's evident from the fact virtually no-one ever suggested Harmison be dropped for Kabir. I don't agree with this reasoning, but it's obvious why it is.

On the other hand, that Anderson has played as many games as he has and Kabir so few is indeed odd in the extreme.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And yet bar Nasser Hussain, Monty Panesar and possibly Adil Rashid in the future, there is very little international class talent to speak of..
Owais Shah for one, simply hasn't had the stars align for him. Mark Ramprakash, though he's Guyanese, does qualify as Asian and obviously was international-class in skill terms, just not in temperament, Aftab Habib could conceivably have been had he got more opportunity, Usman Afzaal could very easily have been in ODIs had he got the chance.

And there's several aside from Rashid who could be in future.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ali = at least Anderson, Harmison, Braod
I would love to what sort of accuracy, pace and seam movement Harmison got against Durham University, last week - he came out with some pretty great statistics that merely would not have been possible were he bowling the 80mph, wide, overpitched tripe that he bowled against New Zealand.