10 58.82%
  • Sreesanth

7 41.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ajit Agarkar vs Sreesanth in Limited Overs

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!

Ajit Agarkar vs Sreesanth in Limited Overs

Bearing in mind that this comparison is in Limited Overs Cricket only (ODI's and Twenty20's), who would you rather have as a bowler in your squad. Ajit Agarkar gets a lot of stick on this board, for test matches this is deserved. But he's been a leading ODI bowler for India over many years.

Agarkar has been criticised as being expensive, erratic and inconsistent. When you compare him with Sreesanth however, Sreesanth is just as expensive (if not more), erratic and inconsistent.

If you had to choose between one player in your side for ODI's and Twenty20's who would you pick?

Here is a statistical comparison between the two players in ODI's:

Ajit Agarkar

Batting: 1269 runs at 14.58 with a SR of 80.62
    Bowling: 288 wickets at 27.85 with a ER of 5.07 and SR of 32.9

Sreesanth

Bating: 34 runs at 4.25 with a SR of 36.17
    Bowling: 59 wickets at 31.45 with a ER of 5.78 and SR of 32.6
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Agarkar.

He was nowhere near as ridiculously expensive as Sreesanth and they took their wickets at roughly the same rate. I think Sreesanth could probably influence a match more, but that doesn't help when he usually goes for 60-70 runs in others. Agarkar could bat too, which is an added bonus.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Agarkar.

He was nowhere near as ridiculously expensive as Sreesanth and they took their wickets at roughly the same rate. I think Sreesanth could probably influence a match more, but that doesn't help when he usually goes for 60-70 runs in others. Agarkar could bat too, which is an added bonus.
    My reasoning exactly here too. Agarkar gets my vote. I've always been baffled by people who continously support Sreesanth in ODI's and then criticise Agarkar. Agarkar has been India's best ODI fast bowler over the last 10 years where many have come and gone. Sreesanth continues to be really expensive and unreliable in the shorter format of the game.

None of them.. they both sucks..

Agarkar has obviously had the better career so far.

Sreesanth isn't expected to replicate his career record whenever he's selected, though - never mind the fact that Agarkar looked ridiculously bad the last time he played ODIs. If both retired tomorrow, Agarkar would definitely be regarded the better bowler, but I'd rather have Sreesanth in my squad at the current time because I think he'd do better than his career record suggests (and ITBT I think Agarkar would do much worse than his career record suggests..). Sreesanth is an improving bowler; Agarkar is in decline.

Given the question asks which I'd rather have and not which has had a better career, I voted Sreesanth.

It should also be noted that I've completely ignored Twenty20 cricket in this assessment despite what the opening post says.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 19-04-2008 at 12:43 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by haroon510 View Post
    None of them.. they both sucks..

It doesn't matter if they suck; that's not the point. Which one sucks the least?

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    in terms of career so far, I picked AA.

But as Prince said, if I am asked who I will pick as of now, it would be Sreesanth.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Different stages of their careers

Given a choice between the 2 TODAY, I'd pick Sreesant every time as it is an investment in the future

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Bearing in mind that this comparison is in Limited Overs Cricket only (ODI's and Twenty20's), who would you rather have as a bowler in your squad. Ajit Agarkar gets a lot of stick on this board, for test matches this is deserved. But he's been a leading ODI bowler for India over many years.

Agarkar has been criticised as being expensive, erratic and inconsistent. When you compare him with Sreesanth however, Sreesanth is just as expensive (if not more), erratic and inconsistent.

If you had to choose between one player in your side for ODI's and Twenty20's who would you pick?

Here is a statistical comparison between the two players in ODI's:

Ajit Agarkar

Batting: 1269 runs at 14.58 with a SR of 80.62
    Bowling: 288 wickets at 27.85 with a ER of 5.07 and SR of 32.9

Sreesanth

Bating: 34 runs at 4.25 with a SR of 36.17
    Bowling: 59 wickets at 31.45 with a ER of 5.78 and SR of 32.6
    Why oh why would u even consider making that comparison?AA is the third highest wicket-taker in ODI's at a better average than Kapil Dev. He may not have taken many five wicket hauls to single-handedly win matches but his constant ability of taking 2-3 wicket hauls has done much more in helping India win so many matches. Those are conveniently forgotten.
    Member Of AAAS

Supporter of:
    Liverpool FC
    Ferrari F1
    Iron Maiden (Bombay.Feb 1st,2008...I was there)
    UP THE IRONS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Sreesanth isn't expected to replicate his career record whenever he's selected, though - never mind the fact that Agarkar looked ridiculously bad the last time he played ODIs. If both retired tomorrow, Agarkar would definitely be regarded the better bowler, but I'd rather have Sreesanth in my squad at the current time because I think he'd do better than his career record suggests (and ITBT I think Agarkar would do much worse than his career record suggests..). Sreesanth is an improving bowler; Agarkar is in decline.

Given the question asks which I'd rather have and not which has had a better career, I voted Sreesanth.

It should also be noted that I've completely ignored Twenty20 cricket in this assessment despite what the opening post says.
    Yep
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Agarkar.

It doesn't matter if they suck; that's not the point. Which one sucks the least?
    Pretty much agree completely with these posts.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Nah, Limited overs definately Sreesanth 'cos he's young, and who knows how long he will play for, but speaking of past and records, I pick AA because he has already done his job wheras Sreesanth could retire tomorrow (not gonna happen though). So you CAN NOT decide so early, anyway why are you comparing these two at two totally different stages to there careers?
    This topic is
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

And Sreesanth is a show off and a moron

Ajit Agarkar. Even though he is quite expensive (econ. rate 5.07 - he's consistently been around there for his career), at least you can call him an established ODI strike bowler. Sreesanth frankly isn't and is so expensive in ODI's (5.78) that I'd be happy if he never played another ODI.

Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    And Sreesanth is a show off and a moron
    You forgot to add, '...to say the least'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information