• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Purchasing cricket equipment in the States

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hey all

Me and a friend have come up with the bright idea of starting a knockabout cricket team in Southern California (Anaheim area), because we are both mad cricket fans and will be based there this summer, and are also in touch with a lot of expats who are also craving a game.. What I would like to know is how easy, where and when, can I buy good quality (I'm talking GM, Kookaburra, BAS, MRF, BS) cricket equipment? Or would it be easier for me to Fedex all my stuff over from South Africa (which I don't really want to do).. Thoughts and opinions welcome, thanks

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I know a fair bit about Cali cricket, cant believe you didnt ask me about this.

A team could be formed but there are already a few out there. Its going to be a fair effort.

The first question would be where would you play? Anywhere half decent is already taken.

Possibly form a social team and play friendlies but you would need contacts and opposition.

A note on joining SCCA, dont join unless you guys are good and committed. Its an intense form of cricket (like most US cricket lots of cheating, politics, arguments over the smallest things and general pettiness) and in the top divisions it is of a very high standard.

So the top divisions will be of a top standard and the lower ones would be of guys from a tennis ball background that dont know the rules or how to behave on a cricket field. It also isnt the most fun form of cricket.

I think your best bet would be to find a local pub team like this one from where I was in San Francisco and play social games for them.

Also, there are many equip suppliers in Cali.

EDIT- Have a look for some contact details for Stephen Speak (World record holder and brother of ex-Lancs batsman). He knows a lot about S. Cal cricket and used to be the main English guy down there. I dont know him personally but I hear he is a good guy that could help you with this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Thanks, slightly depressed at your take on club cricket.. I was expecting it to be very friendly stuff on a low standard, not the other way around :)