• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Statistics Quiz

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Now, it is for those who love cricket stats.

1. Who took most number of wickets for England in the 50's?
2. Which bowler playing more than 20 tests has the best strike rate in test cricket after World War 2?
3. Which kiwi bowler took the most number of ODI wickets in the 5 years from '96 to '00?
4. Who has scored most number of ODI runs for West Indies in the '90s after Lara and Hooper?
5. Who am I? I bowled only 18 overs in test cricket...took 3 wickets for 47 runs for India...And after that didn't get any chance to bowl at test level.
6. How many (if any) English batsmen scored more than 21 centuries in test cricket? Name them/him (if applicable).
7. Who are the two West Indian captains captaining exactly in 22 test matches?
8. Who am I? I took 2 test wickets at an average of 174.5. I also scored 13 ducks. And yes, you've assumed correctly, I also had the priviledge of captaining my side at test level.
9. Who am I? I played more than 150 ODIs. My overall average in ODI is below 40 but my home average (in my country) in ODI is over 50.
10. Who am I? My test average in '90s was 44.43 and that in ,00s is 53.21.

For each of the questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7; first correct answer will get 1 mark, 2nd correct answer 0.9, 3rd correct answer 0.8 and so on.
For each of the questions 5, 8, 9 and 10; first correct answer will get 1 mark and all the correct answers to follow will get 0.
Searching and looking at others' answers are allowed :) .

Come on, let the wild guesses flow.

[Note: All the quoted figures are true only till the date of posting; some of them might change after some days.]

Last edited:

99*

International Debutant
Here are my answers then.

1- Laker.
2- ??? (I think it's a WI bowler, but can't remember the name.)
3- Vettori (or Nash)
4- Chanderpaul.
5- ???
6- 3, Boycott, Cowdrey and Hammond.
7- ???
8- Don Bradman?
9- ???
10- ???

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Here are my answers then.

1- Laker.
2- ??? (I think it's a WI bowler, but can't remember the name.)
3- Vettori (or Nash)
4- Chanderpaul.
5- ???
6- 3, Boycott, Cowdrey and Hammond.
7- ???
8- Don Bradman?
9- ???
10- ???
Only the first reply will count (in either of the 2 threads) :) ...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Points till now:-

son of coco : 1
*99 : 1.9
Pup Clarke : 1.8

A score of over 2.5 will be great I suppose. Every single first correct answer deserves an accolade.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Jim Laker with 162 wickets, just ahead of Statham with 159.

2. Which bowler playing more than 20 tests has the best strike rate in test cricket after World War 2?
Frank Tyson with 76 wickets at 45.4

3. Which kiwi bowler took the most number of ODI wickets in the 5 years from '96 to '00?
Chris Harris with 79 wickets

4. Who has scored most number of ODI runs for West Indies in the '90s after Lara and Hooper?
Phil Simmonds with 2,888 runs

5. Who am I? I bowled only 18 overs in test cricket...took 3 wickets for 47 runs for India...And after that didn't get any chance to bowl at test level.
Subroto Banerjee

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
6. How many (if any) English batsmen scored more than 21 centuries in test cricket? Name them/him (if applicable).
Three - Boycott, Cowdrey and Hammond each scored 22 test centuries.

Theres actually three - Walsh, Hooper and Goddard

8. Who am I? I took 2 test wickets at an average of 174.5. I also scored 13 ducks. And yes, you've assumed correctly, I also had the priviledge of captaining my side at test level.
I don't think such a player exists.

9. Who am I? I played more than 150 ODIs. My overall average in ODI is below 40 but my home average (in my country) in ODI is over 50.
Ajay Jadeja

Mahela Jayawardene

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain

FS Trueman. Too difficult to guess. Could also be Bedser or Laker or Statham.

RNK Dev

CZ Harris ?

K Arthurton ?

Subroto Banerjee

Boycott, Hammond, Cowdrey, Gooch definitely. I think Gower too.

Richardson & Hooper

PA De Silva ?

Too many possible guesses. Chanderpaul ?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain

RNK Dev

Wait. You wouldn't call him a mere bowler, will you ? I'll have another FS Trueman

a massive zebra

International Captain

Jim Laker?

Waqar Younis?

Gavin Larsen?

Richie Richardson?

No idea.

Three - Cowdrey, Hammond, Boycott.

Goddard & Hooper?

CK Nayudu?

Ajay Jadeja?

Shivnarine Chanderpaul?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Here goes the right answers -
1. Jim Laker
2. Dale Steyn (I've given marks to Mark Boucher also, though that wasn't intended :) )
3. Chris Harris
4. Phil Simmons
5. Subroto Banerjee
6. 3; Boycott, Cowdrey, Hammond
7. Walsh, Goddard
8. G. Kirsten
9. A. Jadeja (Well, mistake on my part, I. Haq is also correct; this kind of mistake won't be there in quiz 2 I promise)
10. Jaywardene of course.

Marks will be posted soon. 2nd quiz will be better in the sense that getting answers by mere searching will be difficult I promise.