• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting is a better batsman than Don Bradman

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No pity is different from sarcasm. See the roll eyes as a sarcasm thing, especially if someones just had a blonde moment. Use it IRL to that effect, usually with a smile on my face.
Interesting, I never do - only time I ever roll my eyes at something is... well, yeah, when someone makes a stupid comment. Usually have a smile, but it's a contemptuous one, and usually accompanied by a headshake too.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have always emphasized on the difference between better and greater.

Bradman's greater than Ponting fo sho. Better, probably. But maybe not.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was expecting this to be the ol' 'standards improve over time so modern players are bound to be better' chestnut, i.e. the true-but-pointless outlook

Turns out it was just babble

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was expecting this to be the ol' 'standards improve over time so modern players are bound to be better' chestnut, i.e. the true-but-pointless outlook

Turns out it was just babble
This thread was more or less just me being an elitist arsehole 12 years ago and looking down on the normal fans of the game whose patronage ensures diehards like me have a polished, professional product to follow, and that people who are good at cricket are financially incentivised to actually keep playing it.

It was definitely a dumb defence of what I think is a dumb outlook in the first place though.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's easy to forget just how highly regarded Ponting was in 2008. If he'd retired them he'd be the guy everyone thought retired too soon and that he still had another 5000 runs in him. We'd be asking if he was legitimately the 2nd best batsman of all time.

Just goes to show how much hiss legacy was hurt by him playing for an extra 4 years averaging 40 in that time.

But still, the things quoted in the OP are ridiculous.

a massive zebra

International Captain
What happened to Richard? He was on here pretty much 24/7 for quite a few years making dozens of posts per day and then seemed to just drop off the face of the earth. Does anyone keep in contact with him?

Howe_zat

Audio File
What happened to Richard? He was on here pretty much 24/7 for quite a few years making dozens of posts per day and then seemed to just drop off the face of the earth. Does anyone keep in contact with him?
According to sledger he has found God, and that now occupies his posting.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He could have just continued to post on here if he wanted to write about Tendulkar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But from whatever I am given to understand, God's FCA average is pretty poor. It was only his second chance that made it clear he was God, right?