• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its not a question of film stars. Its investors reassessing the return on their investment and finding the returns lower than expectations, cutting variable costs/expenses to bolster a reddish bottom line.

I know, I know they should be in it for the long run, and this is no way to treat cricketers and so on - but these people are investors pure and simple, cricket, cricketers and everything else takes a backseat to their commercial interests and its going to be like that whether we like it or not.

As far as all that talk about ICL and IPL being for the good of Indian cricket and helping develop Indian cricketers of the future - who are you kidding ?

Yes some Indian cricketers will make much more money that they would have otherwise, but this is far from a ground for developing future cricketing giants.

This is carnival, this is entertainment (for those who dont find cricket entertaining or just dont like cricket), this is the selling of the icing as the cake, and this is all about the big bucks. You still want to fool yourselves that this is for the game of cricket and its betterment - go ahead - be my guest.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Its not a question of film stars. Its investors reassessing the return on their investment and finding the returns lower than expectations, cutting variable costs/expenses to bolster a reddish bottom line.

I know, I know they should be in it for the long run, and this is no way to treat cricketers and so on - but these people are investors pure and simple, cricket, cricketers and everything else takes a backseat to their commercial interests and its going to be like that whether we like it or not.

As far as all that talk about ICL and IPL being for the good of Indian cricket and helping develop Indian cricketers of the future - who are you kidding ?

Yes some Indian cricketers will make much more money that they would have otherwise, but this is far from a ground for developing future cricketing giants.

This is carnival, this is entertainment (for those who dont find cricket entertaining or just dont like cricket), this is the selling of the icing as the cake, and this is all about the big bucks. You still want to fool yourselves that this is for the game of cricket and its betterment - go ahead - be my guest.
This is a cricket team, not merely a corporate entity. There are such things as team dynamics, dressing-room atmosphere and a whole lot of facets beyond the money exchanged.

Merely discarding players just because they're 'useless' and the team needs to 'cut costs' wil upset the morale of the team a lot. Look at Bangalore- the 'corporate' method of running the team has ruined the mood there, and it's reflected in loss after loss.

Moreover, this bunch includes a heavy run-scorer (they are seriously short of runs), a steady medium-pacer who's got loads of wickets (even celebrated bowlers like Sharma, Gul and Akhtar are not a certainty) as well as a promising youngster who's had a hand in winning a one-day tournament for his team. Back in Punjab, Sangakkara is injured and Uday Kaul is inadequate, so they are forced to go in with a bowler less- perfect for this veteran keeper/batsman, who's now ordered out.

Do you get rid of them just to 'cut costs'? The very idea behind excluding all these players so unceremoniously is not good at all. They make such claims about mutual agreements, but it's obvious- it's a boot-out.

If the ICL an IPL don't help Indian cricket, who will? The Indian domestic scene?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is a cricket team, not merely a corporate entity. There are such things as team dynamics, dressing-room atmosphere and a whole lot of facets beyond the money exchanged.

Merely discarding players just because they're 'useless' and the team needs to 'cut costs' wil upset the morale of the team a lot. Look at Bangalore- the 'corporate' method of running the team has ruined the mood there, and it's reflected in loss after loss.

Moreover, this bunch includes a heavy run-scorer (they are seriously short of runs), a steady medium-pacer who's got loads of wickets (even celebrated bowlers like Sharma, Gul and Akhtar are not a certainty) as well as a promising youngster who's had a hand in winning a one-day tournament for his team. Back in Punjab, Sangakkara is injured and Uday Kaul is inadequate, so they are forced to go in with a bowler less- perfect for this veteran keeper/batsman, who's now ordered out.

Do you get rid of them just to 'cut costs'? The very idea behind excluding all these players so unceremoniously is not good at all. They make such claims about mutual agreements, but it's obvious- it's a boot-out.

If the ICL an IPL don't help Indian cricket, who will? The Indian domestic scene?
My dear fellow first stop the steam coming out of your ears and relax :)

I am not saying what is happening with Shah Rukh Khan and even Vijay Mallaya is correct. READ AGAIN> I am just stating a fact that this is how these guys WILL behave (remember the difference between will and should) because they have their own reasons for being involved with cricket and those reasons involve the big crisp ones that come out of the Reserve Bank of India.

What you and I and Dravid and Ganguly think is not relevant to them if it does not serve their interests and those interests are simple - return on investment.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Wait - I don't quite understand - what exactly is wrong with releasing players who haven't played and will not play?
I dont think there is anything wrong with releasing the players frankly. Though the way Vijay Mallaya is taking the poor show of his team in the public domain must be very disheartening for the team players. It seems that just before the last game they got a solid dressing down in public by the boss.

It is also now confirmed that senior officials of the UB group have also been seen telling off the team officials and players in no uncertain terms. This is not something the players could be used to. At least when a selector made the error of criticising a player in public (no justification mind you) they were people who at least spoke the cricketing idiom. Not these guys. For them spending the most money in the auction is directly supposed to yield the best results on the ground just as they would expect in the industry.

That the correlation between the money may be to the players caliber/potential (which too is tenuous) but not necessarily to the match results is not understood by them.

This is something thats not going to go away for some teams are bound to be at the bottom of the table and for the licencees who have opened their treasuries at the time of the auctions these bottom teams cant include their teams. That shocks them.

It is true that Bangalore made some bad choices in player selection but even if the choices are better they dont always show in results.

Particularly for those licencees who are using their teams not just to make some money but more importantly as a vehicle of corporate marketing and image building, these losses are a loss of face for the corporation.

I expect Vijay Mallaya to make a much bigger racket than Shah Rukh because Shah Rukh may only lose money Mallaya believes he loses much more than money.

Steulen

International Regular
So what's the consensus? This tournament been any good?
Since stating in this thread that I couldn't care less about the IPL, the Shane Warne success story at Rajasthan has got me involved. So I'm now checking their progress quite keenly while keeping half an eye on the other scores.

pasag

RTDAS
Hasn't been bad, enjoyed it more when the Australian internationals were there and whilst it was fresh, still good to have cricket on on FTA every night. However the fixture is wrong, can't put my finger on how to exactly make it better but they need to either make it shorter or have a break in the middle. Starting to drag on a little in a similar fashion to the WC, IMO.

pasag

RTDAS
Fair effort from Shoiab here, 4 wickets in his opening spell of the IPL, in defence of a pretty low score as well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Akhtar so far has turned in the best spell of the IPL. Fast and accurate. Fantastic spell here, loved watching every ball even though I'm rooting for the Delhi Daredevils.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's been really good to watch. The whole T20 format is perfect for me in terms of watching. I love tests and a brilliant test series (eg Ashes 2005) is fantastic, but that is rare. And tbh I don't have anything like the time to watch test cricket. The T20's are about half way through when I get home from work, so an hour or two of cricket in the evening is great. I think I'd watch a T20 any day over an ODI now. I think talent and good quality cricket has been winning matches in the IPL which is fantastic.

Also, I have to say, I think the coverage on Setanta has on the whole been very good. I always enjoy a good mix of different internationals commentating, and I think this lot have been good. (It would be nice to know who they are though! I find it strange, lots of them I have no idea).

And, of course, the performance of Rajasthan in general and of Shane Watson in particular has been the icing on the cake. Or, well... if it carries on I think it'll be the whole cake too.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Huge upset. Kolkata win with Shukla taking three wickets in the last over.

Shoaib Akhtar was the one man the Knights relied on, and obviously, when he's bowling at 150k and over. The duo of Sehwag and Gambhir had absolutely no answer, as their attempts to attack were countered by catches- at point and by keeper. But the rest of the Delhi batting was dreadful on show, and the demotion of Dhawan to five was baffling, to say the least. High-profile signings Dilshan and AB were well below par in this match.

We don't know what the Delhi team were thinking, but while Sehwag and Gambhir tried to attack Akhtar, the rest were largely defensive. And unsuccessful. Akhtar was the dangerman, and they tried to attack him- even as there were three weak links in the bowling that they could attack- and the counter-attack landed the Daredevils flat. Let's not even talk about running between wickets- Dilshan repeatedly tried to outrun Ponting and Yuvraj, but this team has been proven slower than the human arm between wickets.

The Daredevils would do well to get back locals Manhas and Bhatia for the next game, somehow. And also a bowling machine that's as fast as Shoaib Akhtar.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The Daredevils would do well to get back locals Manhas and Bhatia for the next game, somehow. And also a bowling machine that's as fast as Shoaib Akhtar.
Do you really have a clue about the stuff you post ?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think there is anything wrong with releasing the players frankly. Though the way Vijay Mallaya is taking the poor show of his team in the public domain must be very disheartening for the team players. It seems that just before the last game they got a solid dressing down in public by the boss.
I must admit, my level of sympathy isn't very high for the players. This is, as you said, a carnoval with nothing on the line other than money and perhaps ego's. If they are to be paid this amount of money, well the kicker to that is a public dressing down if you're not performing. Mallya owes no-one so it's not as if he has to have the interests of the game at heart (unlike, say, a board official). If I was one of the players, much of what he'd have to say would wash over me because it's not as if I'm representing my country.

The players might be trying hard in this tournament but that's because the sort of personality required to play such a high level of sport just hates losing (plus, it is the first one) and while it's all back-slapping and positive, like it was for the first part of the tournament, they're all smiles. But if some far away talking head criticises them in the press, I'd say their care factor would be somewhere near zero. They've all made enough money now that if he threatens to or does cancel their contract for next year, I don't think they'd give much of a crap.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Love you Shoaib, absolutely love you!!
Exact feelings here. What a players, what a bowler. I had given up on watching IPL, just tuned it today during Delhi batting just to watch Shoaib and man what a show he put up today.

It was so fascinating to watch the great bowler bowl today and loved the way Ganguly Handled his spell, encouraged him throughout it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_F7t0SigYg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYTkSefxmZc&feature=PlayList&p=DA36EA8637D4116A&index=12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTvRSkEv-ms&feature=PlayList&p=DA36EA8637D4116A&index=13

Became his fan 10 years ago after his performance on this very ground. The difference was that day Crowd hated him and today Crowd was chanting 'Shoaib Shoaib' All credits to him.

PS :- There is no better sight in cricket than watching a Pakistani bowl and nothing worse than hearing a Pakistani talk cricket on TV. Rameez Raja, STFU. What that hell is a 'Patriotic Appeal' ? Dead set worst commentator ever.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol... after a spell like that, u keep wondering how on earth could the PCB not handle him better???

And man that run out effort by Dinda was special.

And Tiwary... He better learn fast on playing 145+ bowling...... He looked clueless against Brett Lee and he looked clueless when facing Shoaib yesterday and yet he looked very confident against the lesser pace of Dinda. The kid has got talent but I think he is really not ready for international cricket just yet. And I dunno why you would ask your best fielder to keep... Who knows.. They might have missed a couple of run out chances or so because AB was keeping rather than fielding.