• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Cricket Weekly Quiz Thread

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Suppose I should give the whole thing a go.

1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship? Warwick Armstrong
2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'? McCabe
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002? Gavaskar
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball? NFI
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour? Wyatt and Bradman
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings? NFI
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final? Roberts
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)? Steve Waugh
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over? NFI
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50? 6

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'? No idea
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002? Sachin Tendulkar
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball? I know Brian McKechnie (sp?) was facing, but I can't remember the non-striker...
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour? No idea
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings? Nobody, he was not-out
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final? Sir Viv Richards
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)? Mark Waugh
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over? Sir Learie Constantine
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50? 4. Kallis, G. Pollock, B. Richards and one other... May have been Nourse or Faulkner

EDIT: Forgot to answer #2.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
If Goughy doesn't mind. just to get this rolling again:

1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship?

Warwick Armstrong

2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'?

Walter Robins

3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002?

Kapil Dev

4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball?

Bruce Edgar

5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour?

Bob Wyatt for England. Was it Vic Richardson for Australia ?

6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings?

It was a 173 not out in the 404 run chase at Leeds

7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final?

Clive Lloyd

8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)?

Mark Waugh

9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over?

Gerry Alexander

10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50?

Greame Pollock. Barry Richards. Lee Irvine averaged 50+ in his only series. Dudley Nourse. Jack Kallis. Denis Lindsay ?

Will be pretty tough for some and really easy for others.

shankar

International Debutant
1.Armstrong (Forgot his first name)
2.-
3.Kapil Dev
4.Hadlee
5.-
6.-
7.Clive Lloyd
8.Mark Waugh
9.-
10.3 (Not including Kallis)

pasag

RTDAS
Reckon that's all we'll get. Not going to mark everyone, but here are the right answers:

1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship?
Warwick Armstrong
2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'?
Walter Robins (regarding Puss Achong)
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002?
Kapil Dev
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball?
Bruce Edgar (on 102* at the time)
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour?
Bob Wyatt (England), Vic Richardson (Australia)
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings?
He made 173* and was therefore not dismissed (:ph34r:)
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final?
Clive Lloyd (Made 102, which incidentally makes him one of the best ODI batsmen ever :p)
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)?
Mark Waugh (181)
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over?
Gerry Alexander
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50?
I should have been clearer here, I meant the standard minimum 20 innings, but I'll accept the total number of players regardless of innings played as well. So 3 min 20 innings (Kallis, Pollock, Nourse) or 9 no min innings (Kallis, Pollock, Nourse, Grieveson, Richards, Melville, van der Bijl, Coen, Irvine).

Tapioca pretty much got them all right which was a brilliant effort.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'? Don Bradman
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002? Sachin Tendulkar
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball? McKechnie?
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour? Michael Clarke and Ian Bell
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings? Eric Hollies
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final? Viv Richards
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)? Mark Waugh
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over? Winston Churchill
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50? 9

sanga1337

U19 Captain
1) Sutcliffe
2) New Zealand?
3) Geraint Jones
4) Ian Botham
5) Ponting and Jayawardene
6) English willow
7) 1877
8) West Indies
9) Tendulkar
10) Pakistan

sanga1337

U19 Captain
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Don Bradman?
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Toss up between Sobers and Vettori... I'l go with Vettori
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Muralitharen
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? No idea
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) The dolphins, the eagles and lions. Really got no clue
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? Muralitharen
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? Everton weekes?
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Tatenda Taibu
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 1988
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) Sanath Jayasuria

Some easy ones and some tougher. I hope its a little harder than the last one but still accessable. When people start getting 10 out of 10 Ill look to make it more difficult.

and remember, no cheating. :)
Far out that was a lot harder than the last test, most of those I have no idea.

7/10 in old test at least