• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Cricket Weekly Quiz Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Another case of GISM lo, 7/10, pretty much what I expected once I read everyone else's answers. Not bad.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Now, it is for those who love cricket stats.

1. Who took most number of wickets for England in the 50's?
2. Which bowler playing more than 20 tests has the best strike rate in test cricket after World War 2?
3. Which kiwi bowler took the most number of ODI wickets in the 5 years from '96 to '00?
4. Who has scored most number of ODI runs for West Indies in the '90s after Lara and Hooper?
5. Who am I? I bowled only 18 overs in test cricket...took 3 wickets for 47 runs for India...And after that didn't get any chance to bowl at test level.
6. How many (if any) English batsmen scored more than 21 centuries in test cricket? Name them/him (if applicable).
7. Who are the two West Indian captains captaining exactly in 22 test matches?
8. Who am I? I took 2 test wickets at an average of 174.5. I also scored 13 ducks. And yes, you've assumed correctly, I also had the priviledge of captaining my side at test level.
9. Who am I? I played more than 150 ODIs. My overall average in ODI is below 40 but my home average (in my country) in ODI is over 50.
10. Who am I? My test average in '90s was 44.43 and that in ,00s is 53.21.

For each of the questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7; first correct answer will get 1 mark, 2nd correct answer 0.9, 3rd correct answer 0.8 and so on.
For each of the questions 5, 8, 9 and 10; first correct answer will get 1 mark and all the correct answers to follow will get 0.
Searching and looking at others' answers are allowed :) .

Come on, let the wild guesses flow.

[All the quoted figures are true only till the date of posting; some of them might change after some days.]

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
lol christ...

i was thinking of the T20 WC.

Kashmir...what was i thinking. Im sure some bats are made from kashmir, probably under 9 bats.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

2. Which bowler playing more than 20 tests has the best strike rate in test cricket after World War 2?
3. Which kiwi bowler took the most number of ODI wickets in the 5 years from '96 to '00?
4. Who has scored most number of ODI runs for West Indies in the '90s after Lara and Hooper?
5. Who am I? I bowled only 18 overs in test cricket...took 3 wickets for 47 runs for India...And after that didn't get any chance to bowl at test level.
6. How many (if any) English batsmen scored more than 21 centuries in test cricket? Name them/him (if applicable).
8. Who am I? I took 2 test wickets at an average of 174.5. I also scored 13 ducks. And yes, you've assumed correctly, I also had the priviledge of captaining my side at test level.
9. Who am I? I played more than 150 ODIs. My overall average in ODI is below 40 but my home average in ODI is over 50.
10. Who am I? My test average in '90s was 44.3 and that in ,00s is 53.21.

For each of the questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7; first correct answer will get 1 mark, 2nd correct answer 0.9, 3rd correct answer 0.8 and so on.
For each of the questions 6, 8, 9 and 10; first correct answer will get 1 mark and all the correct answers to follow will get 0.

1. Laker
2. Marshall(!?)
3. Bond
4. Chanderpaul
5. Gavaskar
6. No idea
7. Richards, Hooper
9. Adam Gilchrist
10. Hayden

99*

International Debutant

9. Who am I? I played more than 150 ODIs. My overall average in ODI is below 40 but my home average in ODI is over 50.
10. Who am I? My test average in '90s was 44.3 and that in ,00s is 53.21.

For each of the questions 6, 8, 9 and 10; first correct answer will get 1 mark and all the correct answers to follow will get 0.

[All the quoted figures are true only till the date of posting; some of them might change after some days.]
1- Laker.
2- ???
3- Vettori?
4- Chanderpaul.
5- ???
6- 3, Boycott, Cowdrey and Hammond.
7- ???
8- Don Bradman?
9- ???
10- ???

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Jim Laker
2. Waqar Younis
3. Chris Cairns
4. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
6. 1 (Hobbs)
7. Viv Richards, Richie Richardson
9. Adam Gilchrist
10. Matthew Hayden

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Here goes. :)

1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe - Herbert Sutcliffe
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located? Cape Town (its also whether the Sharks play their Super 14 matches)
3. Which Test cricketer was born in Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea? Geraint Jones
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40 - Sir Ian Botham
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final? Punter and Jayawardene
6. From what wood is a cricket bat made from? Willow
7. In what year was the first ever Test match? 1876 I think
8. Which team won the first mens Cricket World Cup? West Indies
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs? Sachin Tendulkar
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match? Not sure on this one...India?

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
In a blatant rip off of the thread in Off Topic.

These questions are cricket related and the same rules apply. No cheating, google, wiki, looking at the answers posted by others etc.

1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located?
3. Which Test cricketer was born in Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea?
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final?
6. From what wood is a cricket bat made from?
7. In what year was the first ever Test match?
8. Which team won the first mens Cricket World Cup?
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs?
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match?

If the questions are too easy Ill make them harder next time. Same goes for if they are too hard.

Honestly though, Im expecting a few 10 out of 10s here, though its tough to get all correct.

Good luck :)
1. George Headley
2. Johannesburg?
3. Geriant Jones
4. Ian Botham
5. Ricky Ponting and Mahela Jaywardene
6. Willow
7. 1884
8. West Indies
9. Sachin Tendulkar
10. England

cpr

International Coach
I'll show my total cricket ignorance here

1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe I'll go with Sutcliffe
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located? Know its Saffie, as Langeveldt stuck a picture up the other day and played guess the ground. Go with Cape Town
3. Which Test cricketer was born in Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea? Gerraint Jones
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40 Ian Botham
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final? Ricky Ponting and .....
7. In what year was the first ever Test match? 1878?
8. Which team won the first mens Cricket World Cup? India?
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs? Tendulkar
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match? A random guess at Sri Lanka

Be happy to get 5 tbh

biased indian

International Coach
Love how people are answering questions after Goughy posted the right answers. :p

And still getting them wrong. ;)
it says weekly quiz and he p[osted answer so soon...havnt lloked it up so posting it any way

1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located?
3. Which Test cricketer was born in Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea?
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40? Botham
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final? Ponting Vs Mahela
6. From what wood is a cricket bat made from?English\Kashmir willow
7. In what year was the first ever Test match?1877
8. Which team won the first mens Cricket World Cup? W I
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs?Sachin
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match?India

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe George Headley
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located? Cape Town
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40 Ian Botham
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final? Ponting and Jayawardene
7. In what year was the first ever Test match? 1877
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs? Tendulkar
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match? India

Ill add together the score of those that took part soon
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located? Port Elizabeth
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40 Botham
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final? Ricky Ponting and Mahela Jayawardene
7. In what year was the first ever Test match? 1788
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs? Sachin Tendulkar
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match? India
Didn't I get 8/10? :wacko:

cpr

International Coach
Love how people are answering questions after Goughy posted the right answers. :p

And still getting them wrong. ;)
Most of us who dont fancy cheating are reading the first post then pressing QR so as not to see others answers, THEN going and reading the rest of the thread :p

Got 5 (and a half), not too bad considering i'm not that big a cricket geek.

Matteh

Bit disappointed to be left off the ladder, especially as i didn't say Nick Knight once.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, reckon my score should be added to the ladder next time, its blatent i didnt cheat (or i'd wouldnt have been one out on the test year)

Perm

Didn't look at anybody elses answers here.

1. Jim Laker
2. Shane Bond
3. Chris Cairns
4. Richardson
5. No idea
6. Ken Barrington, Len Hutton, Wally Hammond
7. No idea.
8. No idea.
9. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
10. Mahela Jayawardene