• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Did You Used to Pretend to Be?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When you were a kid (and for those that still are), which cricketer(s) did you pretend to be in the nets/garden/street?

Maybe suprisingly, on the fields I used to pretend to be Abdul Qadir when I was a small kid (10-11 yrs old).

When I started taking cricket more serious (14-16) I liked to try and imitate Larwood.

I still think there is a little bit of Qadir 'funk' in my fast bowling action. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Used to? When I play cricket I pretend to be Freddie, obviously
I dont know what standard you play, but Im imagining you in a league game running in to bowl whilst doing your own commentary out loud "and Flintoff comes into bowl...and ohhh, a perfect leg cutter leaves the batsman clueless" :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pretty much everyone, but my batting is pretty much modelled on Boeta Dippenaar, and my bowling, Allan Donald.. When I bowled legspin my role model used to be Stewart Macgill

Precambrian

Banned
When I bat, I unconsciously imitate Dravid. Extra tight defence and hardly any shots upfront. No wonder, I never made it big.

When I bowl, I used to imitate Pollock's action, the front foot going way acrss and landing right in front of the stumps. I got excellent purchase and economy with the action. I used to bowl off spin for some time and liked to imitate Rajesh Chauhan;s action.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When I bowl, I used to imitate Pollock's action, the front foot going way acrss and landing right in front of the stumps. I got excellent purchase and economy with the action. I used to bowl off spin for some time and liked to imitate Rajesh Chauhan;s action.
I couldnt say why, but I always like Chauhan. Came from really sideways and he got great pivot.

99*

International Debutant
Bowling it would be Warne. Would try so hard to spin a tennis ball but would never work.

Batting, Cairns. Stand and deliver.

bond21

Banned
Batting I used to imitate Hayden to the tee, I was playing rep games in another state and I put zinc cream on my lower lip like he does, and went out to bat with my chest stuck out like Hayden does.

I was also opening the batting at the time(the opening batsman faked an injury to get out of it) and I did well so I did it for the rest of the tournament.

For bowling, I used to try and imitate McGrath....who didnt. Now I realise that I cant while keeping a natural action, and Shaun Pollock's action is a lot like mine so I am trying to implement some things he does into my action. ie stop trying to bowl full pace and bowl a bit more casually.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Batting, it was Slats, or Blewett. Loved the front foot pull shot with swivel that Blewy used to play.

As a bowler, a bit of Fleming. In recent times, I've worked out that I do a handy rendition of Mo Matthews, and Long Tom Moody.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bat like Damien Martyn, bowl like Simon Jones, Brett Lee. Stance almost exactly like Chanderpaul now tbh.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I dont know what standard you play, but Im imagining you in a league game running in to bowl whilst doing your own commentary out loud "and Flintoff comes into bowl...and ohhh, a perfect leg cutter leaves the batsman clueless" :p
LOL I only ever play for fun, spot on with the imagination thoguh

GGG

State Captain
Jeff Thompson with the ball and Lance Cairns with the bat, my shoulder and back have never forgiven me for my wild windmill bowling spells.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would fashion my batting stance after Ramnaresh Sarwan and my bowling action after Brett Lee at one point. I experimented with a Corey Collymore action at one point though.