• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Did You Used to Pretend to Be?

tooextracool

International Coach
I couldnt say why, but I always like Chauhan. Came from really sideways and he got great pivot.
Always thought Chauhan was a fairly good finger-spinner. Didnt really reflect in his figures but had great loop and was able to turn the ball a fair bit.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based my bowling action on Glenn McGrath.

And probably my batting too come to think of it. Although he left me in his wake when he improved later in his career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Based my batting on Jonty Rhodes, almost all the time... Maybe it is the pull shot, maybe it is the exaggerated foot movement, maybe it was his restlessness at the crease... But I had them all too.. Obviously a million levels below in terms of talent and ability, but still, I always felt (and my friends too) that my batting style, stance etc. were similar to him. And he always looked good at the crease too. You won't see him hang around and beaten all the time, he either got out quickly or else he was batting in his usual fluent style........ :)

Am a wicket keeper, so haven't really modelled myself on anyone on that, since I tend to be rather tall for a wicket keeper. But when I do bowl, I try to bowl leggies with Sachin's action.. Think he has a great action and finger/wrist position for a leg spinner. :)

sideshowtim

Banned
I used to pretend to be myself. I'd often place myself in the scenario of a high pressure Test or One Day match in which I delivered the goods and celebrated wildly. I had incredibly batting and bowling stats and went down as the greatest player to ever play the game.

biased indian

International Coach
Kapil dev....batting was similar like him..and bowling used to be...but later changed to waqar..in the beginning of 90's

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Used to bowl like Carl Hooper before getting my own action. Tried bowling leg spin for a season but didn't model it on anyone.

Never really tried to emulate anyone with the bat as I was hopeless. Though when playing 'tests' versus a friend we'd pick 11 real life players and have to bat with the same hand or stance they did.

Used to be fun trying to bat left handed pretending to be Lara. Hit a 50 once batting leftie too (backyard).

Chubb

International Regular
When I was very young;
Batting: Gooch- because he was the best English batsman and he was from Essex like my family were. I used to imitate his pick-up (he never rested the bat on the ground he just kept it up at his waist). I can just about remember him playing for England. The BBC used to put a batsman's highest score at the bottom of his stats box in light blue, and Gooch's always read "333 v. India at Lord's".

Bowling: Hadlee- he'd retired by what I can remember but even then I was mad keen on New Zealand (first cricket jumper I had had black stripes on it), and he was the best New Zealander of all time.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used to run down the driveway at the back of our place yelling "I'm Thommo" before bowling a delivery that would inevitably knock a bird out of the nextdoor neighbour's tree.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, you're only as old as the person you're feeling.
Good. She's younger than me.... :ph34r:

When I was very young;
Batting: Gooch- because he was the best English batsman and he was from Essex like my family were. I used to imitate his pick-up (he never rested the bat on the ground he just kept it up at his waist). I can just about remember him playing for England. The BBC used to put a batsman's highest score at the bottom of his stats box in light blue, and Gooch's always read "333 v. India at Lord's".
I was at that match. Gooch always impressed me. His 450 runs plus that game were particularly impressive and also provide me my vivid memories of Manoj Prabhakar.

archie mac

International Coach
When I was a kid

Batting = GSC
Bowling = FOT
Keeping = Bachus

In reality

Batting = Lefthanded Boycott (without the skill)
Bowling = Edmondson (without the skill)
Keeping = Did it once, did not enjoy it, have never tried since

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Base my batting on the textbook technique and pointers from people with a bit of my own personality.

Have bowled like Warne, Jermaine Lawson, Fidel Edwards, Courtney Walsh and Steve Harmison in the past. Tried to see if I could bowl like Murali as well. My action now's just nothing. Don't know what it looks like. Only started doing some sort of cricket work recently. Will try to get a vid in the coaching section soon.