• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ's Vice Captains

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I just saw in the paper that Daniel Vettori and Jacob Oram are co-vice captains for the test side.

What are your thoughts here. I think Vettori is a good option but I would have thought Hart instead of Oram because I don't think Oram has secured his place in the team. The selectors made it quite clear that Oram wouldn't have played in the first match if Styris had been fit to bowl.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From a leadership POV, once Fleming calls it quits Oram would be the next best to take over the reigns..having said that he'll have to become a more consistent player to hold his place in the team.

Giving Hart vice-captaincy straight away would probably be unfair on him & his team-mates because even though he's an experienced first class player he is a relative new-comer to test cricket & despite Oram having played little test cricket, he has played quite a number of ODI's now. Although with more experience, i'd definately put Hart ahead of Vettori & Oram.

I know McMillan has been touted as the next captain for NZ, but as far as im concerned McMillan shouldn't even be near the directors chair because his attitude towards the game in recent times has been poor to say the least.

So at the moment, there really is only Oram & Vettori & Cairns if he ever plays Test Cricket again.

krkode

State Captain
Tim said:
& Cairns if he ever plays Test Cricket again.
?

Personally, I think Fleming's in for the LONG run...he's only 27-28 now and I think he could go on till he's in his mid-30s.

By then someone will have certainly stood out enough to be speculated as the next Kiwi captain.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming has a mortgage on the captaincy until he retires..right now I think he is 29 & if he continues to bat well he can probably have the job until he's around 34 or 35 or whenever he wants to end it.

So that probably cancels Cairns out & probably McMillan aswell because he'll be getting on in age by the time Fleming calls it quits.

So I can see why they've picked 2 relatively young players to be vice-captain ahead of Hart who is 28..and I think Vettori & Oram are capable of being very good captains anyway so its not like they've just given it to 2 young players for no reason.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't have any problem with McMillan's attitude towards the game. I think he is a great captain and I would love to see him when he is out of the form 'slump' with the captaincy.

The reason i think he is good is that he is not afraid to try things. It has been his downfall many times but it is good to see people being creative.

Oram is also my pick from the present team. He has captained CD for many years where as Danial has only captained the ND'A' side when he was coming back from injury.

anzac

International Debutant
I think it is a long term decision and this is why they have co vice captains.

Oram is probably the current heir apparent especially as he has several years experience at national level comp. Vettori has little captaining experience but is one of the most experienced players in the National team - a great foil with Oram & they are both young enough to 'think outside the square'.

Macca is unorthodox but has major probs re his form to get sorted & re-establish himself in the team & as a quality international player.

I hate to say it but these days I look upon Cairns as almost a spent force - not thru any lack of ability / form, but because of recurring injuries. He has not played a full season since the ZIM / SA tour several years ago, and there is no indication he will be able to do so again any time soon. At 32 odd years of age his time is running out. Orams' appointment & improving form along with that of Styris will also make it hard for Carins to walk back into the side again.

:)

Legglancer

State Regular
krkode said:
?

Personally, I think Fleming's in for the LONG run...he's only 27-28 now and I think he could go on till he's in his mid-30s.

Tim said:
Fleming has a mortgage on the captaincy until he retires..right now I think he is 29 & if he continues to bat well he can probably have the job until he's around 34 or 35 or whenever he wants to end it.

marc71178 said:
Fleming was 30 last month.

Boy ! Fleming keeps growing old pretty fast Eh? ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say he'll retire after the 2007 World Cup if he gets that far anyway.

krkode

State Captain
Tim said:
I'd say he'll retire after the 2007 World Cup if he gets that far anyway.
The way he's going now, compared to the rest of the team, I can see him making it with ease. :P

I really think Richardson should play on the ODI side. He seems bloody good.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Richardson was tried in the VB Series & didn't do that well, plus he's a liability in the field..I mean he's excellent at catching, he just can't run very fast. But hey if he's going to score runs then why not play him?