Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: What is your priority as a Cricket fan?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • To be entertained or watch great performances, regardless of the result

20 50.00%
  • To watch my team win, at all costs

18 45.00%
  • Izzy Stradlin' and the JuJu Hounds

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment V Victory

Entertainment V Victory

Something I've been wanting to ask on CW for a while.

I was wondering what you guys would rather see, a victory for your team or a thrilling match that your team loses? I know the Aussies have discussed similar things before; some genuinenly enjoyed the 05 Ashes more than the 06/07 Ashes.

For me personally, I would rather see my team win ugly than lose pretty, that goes for all my teams in all sports. I find it hard to be entertained if my team is getting beat, and even if a match (in any sport) is a thriller, if it results in defeat for us, I wear a for hours, maybe even days, I don't sit there and think, "wow what have I just seen."

Last summer, I was talking to someone online (won't name them but they are a CWer) and it was the first day of the footy season. We had been getting tonked by India, and I said that it would be a relief to get to the footy as it gave me a bit of a breather from the tonking. They suggested I was turning my back on my tea, I tried to explain, far from it, I just can't bear to see us being turned over, even when it's by greatness. As a Cricket fan, the 06-07 Ashes were the pits, Australia were fantastic, I don't dispute that but I cannot enjoy greatness when it is at my expense.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate great players and great play, and at the end of a great contest where England have been beaten, I try my best to be gracious (). I can marvel at how good someone from the opposition is, but I would still rather see them fail.

This isn't me being one-eyed, I hope people don't see it that way. To me, victory is the most important thing in Cricket, and in sport, and that's what I signed up for. But I reckon we'll have a lot of people here who would rather watch their team lose a thriller, henceforth, I made the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The contest and entertainment of the game is more important, for me, unless it comes to England. Don't ever want to lose to England, ever. Ideally though, my team would win everything and it'd be on the back of thrilling matches, having the best of both worlds.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

99*
    Depends on the situation, overall I'd rather see a great game than a blowout/easy win (Oh, but not against Australia.) but if it a semi or grand final I'd want NZ to win no matter what.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    An entertaining contest is more important IMO. I love the sports I'm interested in more than anyone playing them.

I prefer NZ to not play embarrassingly badly though, which happens remarkably often when I go to games.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    The contest and entertainment of the game is more important, for me, unless it comes to England. Don't ever want to lose to England, ever. Ideally though, my team would win everything and it'd be on the back of thrilling matches, having the best of both worlds.
    Yeah, I thought you would be in that camp. Seem to remember you stating once before, Cricket>Australia, AFL>carlton (?is that right?)

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Against Australia, winning at all costs. Against anyone else I can enjoy a good match.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Style, substance and content of a game are all valuable.

However, they dont compare to the importance of winning. Its the reason the game is played.

The only truly important thing is winning but it is devalued if achieved 'at all costs' and against certain ways the sport should be played. It becomes tainted.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I prefer to be entertained. Except in S.O.O. games. Would rather win 100-0 than see us lose 6-4, as winning 100-0 would be really entertaining.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Banned
    Yep entertainment here.

I am not proud of it, but the second option for me.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Winning is important, but I can enjoy a great contest. I enjoyed the Kanpur and Ahemdabad Test in the recently finished series. I hated it in Ahemdabad while it was happening, but I was still enthralled by some great performances.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Bowling tgfg Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Everything changed after the Ashes.
    Jesus brings life eternal

Hmm, as much I try not to be a fanboy, I think in the end my answer is the 2nd.

For eg. this match/

Very good ODI to watch, and Australia's defence of such a small total, and come back when the game looked gone, was unbelievable. Showed they truly are a champion team.

Yet when India lost that game I just sat on the couch without moving for 20 minutes pissed off at how my team could lose from such a position.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Such a difficult question.

TBH I usually get bored if any team wins too often, at any level of cricket, from international to club. But I've never experienced a team which is my team doing such a thing. If this was Exeter Cricket Club, I cannot conceive I'd get tired of us winning every game of a season even if it did go on for 10 years. But then maybe I'd feel differently if it happened. Likewise with England. Neither has ever looked like happening, of course, and it's pretty unlikely to do so any time soon, as one team dominating the cricket scene is exceptionally rare, and the last time England did it was the 19th-century, which doesn't exactly count IMO for any number of reasons.

I'd have to say that, much as poor quality cricket is a turn-off, I honestly don't think I could ever enjoy an England defeat - at least in a Test match. Nor a failure to win a game that should have been won - eg, SCG 1990/91. And this latter is worse still if it's a game that's had time lost - eg, Lord's 2007, Old Trafford 2005, Trent Bridge 2002, Basin Reserve 2001/02, Edgbaston 1998, Kensington Oval 1998, SCG 1994/95, Trinidad 1990. One thing I certainly don't enjoy though is seeing England saved by lost play - eg, Galle 2007/08 AND 2003/04, Edgbaston 2003, Trent Bridge 2000, Old Trafford 1999, The 'Gabba 1998/99, Lord's 1997. I imagine most England fans positively revelled in these games - I certainly didn't, such escapes feel very hollow indeed to me.

I can certainly enjoy a good-quality draw involving England - including a drawn series. And I'll always be absolutely thrilled by an escape that doesn't owe to the weather - eg, Old Trafford 1998. One of the most delighted I've ever been after a game of cricket. But I don't think I can ever genuinely enjoy a defeat, never mind a series defeat.

In ODIs I only ever really care about the results of the games in World Cups, though.

Where Yorkshire are concerned, on the other hand, every game means something and like England Tests the game can be as good as you like (not that I often get the chance to watch), and defeat will remain a massive disappointment.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Pinball Champion!
    Winning at all costs.. If I watch an entertaining game and we get beaten, I'm usually more upset than if we just get wiped out.. Love see us play boring cricket and grind a team down, which used to happen all the time
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information