• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Entertainment V Victory

What is your priority as a Cricket fan?

• Total voters

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The win, the whole win and nothing but the win.

Between other teams, no probs with an emphasis on the entertainment value, but when Australia play, it's about winning to me. Obviously prefer it if they do it in an entertaining way, but if I have to make a choice, the win every time.

We have this discussion in Australia re. rugby. These people always carry on about "running rugby" and the Australian way of playing expansive - we played expansive for about 3 years when Mark Ella was 5/8. Then we throw the ball around, make mistakes and get flogged. Let 'em play winning rugby, not attractive rugby, imo.
Haha. When has union ever been attractive? :p

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I play winning is everything, by hook or crook. When I watch I want to be entertained.

Protean

State Regular
Usually only get upset when SA performs really badly. If they play well and still lose, then that's okay. So I guess entertainment, entertainment being to me when both sides play well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Love India to win but there are times when you feel like switching channels even when we are winning..... Not really sure, tbh... would love to see all teams play attacking stuff when honours are even.. I can understand teams gng on the defensive when under the pump but I would rather see a batsman come out with positive intent when walking in at 120/3 than with the intent of blocking everything and playing out sessions... But mainly, winning means a lot more these days but I don't mind losing close games as long as we are able to come out trumps in some of those games as well...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand tend to have a habit of either winning very entertaining games (Chappell-Hadlee for a start), losing them terribly, or winning by 7 wickets with 20 overs to spare.

Personally I'd rather see NZ win 60% of their matches and play an entertaining brand than to win 80% and play dull cricket. Its probably the culture that people here love to be entertained at sports events but I'd say that a side that entertains will promote the game better than a team that wins everything but offers very little in terms of entertainment.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To swipe Frank Keating's mot juste: winning ugly is always preferrable to losing beautifully.

He was actually talking about the difference between English & French rugby philosophies, but I apply it to all team sports.

biased indian

International Coach
winning at any cost......as far as i am considred a neutral game can be entertaining dont care who win..but when india is playing winning is the entertainment..the dominent it is the more entertainment for me and if its australia it even more entertaining

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Since the most times I get to see my team most they are blatantly out of their depth...I have had to kearn to enjoy quality cricket over mere results:cool:

ret

International Debutant
nothing compares to a victory

thought, i would want my team to play good cricket most of the time, if it is playing bad cricket then it deserves to lose and in that case i will show no mercy on it :twisted:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I see a lot of the posters who've voted for "entertainment" are Australian (although kudos to andyc, SST, Nnanden & morgieb for their honesty), I suspect it's rather easier to hope the game is the winner when you've been riding roughshod over the rest of cricket for 15 years. :p