Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: What type of batsman should the # 3 ideally be

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grafter

    9 56.25%
  • Attacker

    7 43.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: The Number 3 batsman

  1. #16
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    1,097
    The # 3 position is a specialized position. The batsman has to go out immediately if a wkt falls or after a long wait or somewhere in between. Unlike the openers who know immediately their mandate or the late-order batsmen who have a chance to assess conditions/situation.

    This makes the # 3 a pivotal position. The batsman has to either build a foundation or take the fight to the enemy and establish dominance.

    And considering that the # 3 is generally selected regardless of the opening partners, would a Dravid be more suited to the current Indians than lets say a Kanhai ?

  2. #17
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    If Ponting is playing for India, he would bat at 3 ... then Dravid would open or drop down to #5
    Fastest gun in town

  3. #18
    Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    9,290
    It really depends on the structure and team set up as others have pointed out! If you have two solid openers like Hayden, Langer, who are bound to give you a solid start more often than not..than someone aggressive like Ponting can really go and play his shots! However...when you have someone like Smith or Gibbs or Sehwag who are not always that consistent..than a Kallis or a Dravid is your saviour!

    I once had this discussion with my friends, that if you are picking a side, and you have just one position left, the number 3 position and your options are - Dravid, Ponting or Kallis? It was an interesting discussion...most Ponting because he is a more attractive batsman to watch, he is someone who gets more attention. So it really depends on a lot of factors, infact even the number 4 and 5 also makes a difference! If you have someone like Inzamam coming in at 4...then thats also a factor that would affect the decision!
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

  4. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    66,642
    I think the answer is you need to be an adaptable player to bat at 3. If you come in a 1/10, well you need to be able to cope against the new ball, but if you come in at 1/110 you need to be able to press home your side's advantage and keep the momentum going.
    I don't think the poll options cover my views on this - the ideal number 3 is a fellow who can do both - graft and play aggressively as the situation demands, coz "1 for" isn't always a big deal, but "2 for" usually is.
    Last edited by Burgey; 16-04-2008 at 07:27 PM.


  5. #20
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,568
    Ideally the number 3 should be comfortable against both pace and spin. Also, the ability to bat for long periods as well as play attacking is necessary.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

  6. #21
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think the answer is you need to be an adaptable player to bat at 3. If you come in a 1/10, well you need to be able to cope against the new ball, but if you come in at 1/110 you need to be able to press home your side's advantage and keep the momentum going.
    I don't think the poll options cover my views on this - the ideal number 3 is a fellow who can do both - graft and play aggressively as the situation demands, coz "1 for" isn't always a big deal, but "2 for" usually is.
    Agreed. Poll deffo wrong.

  7. #22
    International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,221
    In Test cricket the number 3 batsman needs to be the most versatile batsman. On plenty of occasions he'll come in after the fall of a quick wicket and he needs to be able to see out the new ball. However, he also need to be able to quickly assess the situation and the conditions and figure out the best method for scoring, as a major brunt of that load falls on him. In excessively difficult batting conditions, he may need to find creative means for run scoring if the other batsmen in the team are not up to the task.

    Imo, it doesn't need to be the most prolific run scorer on the team at this position, but rather one with the aforementioned versatility, and preferably it should be a veteran due to their experience and feel for the game.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

    Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

  8. #23
    State Captain haroon510's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    california united states
    Posts
    1,627
    i think a batsman who can play aggrassive and definsive should play in number three

    i consider Ricky Pointing the best number three batsman right now for that reason..

  9. #24
    Banned sideshowtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by haroon510 View Post
    i think a batsman who can play aggrassive and definsive should play in number three

    i consider Ricky Pointing the best number three batsman right now for that reason..
    Good stuff mate. Punter is a man for all occasions.

  10. #25
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Whoever bats like Sangakarra, perfect No 3.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  11. #26
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,684
    a mixture of both?

    Punter and Sanga are excellent examples of this

  12. #27
    Hall of Fame Member Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    15,463
    A #3 should be both. If he is one or the other then he shouldn't really be #3. A number 3 is also better when skilled at both pace and spin. Essentially, but not always, the best batsman in the side.
    ★★★★★

  13. #28
    99*
    99* is offline
    International Debutant 99*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    In Test cricket the number 3 batsman needs to be the most versatile batsman. On plenty of occasions he'll come in after the fall of a quick wicket and he needs to be able to see out the new ball. However, he also need to be able to quickly assess the situation and the conditions and figure out the best method for scoring, as a major brunt of that load falls on him. In excessively difficult batting conditions, he may need to find creative means for run scoring if the other batsmen in the team are not up to the task.

    Imo, it doesn't need to be the most prolific run scorer on the team at this position, but rather one with the aforementioned versatility, and preferably it should be a veteran due to their experience and feel for the game.
    Stephen Fleming.

  14. #29
    State Regular Indipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    926
    Like has been said, it really depends on the side. If you have batting depth like Australia had for most of the 90s then you can easily put an attacker/third opener at 3. Otherwise, it's gotta be someone who glues the order together.

  15. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    Good stuff mate. Punter is a man for all occasions.

    Not necessarily north of the equator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 13-12-2009, 10:00 PM
  2. Number 400 ?
    By irfan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 08:18 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 29-04-2005, 03:55 AM
  4. Sloggin' Batsman = Good Batsman ?
    By masterblaster10 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 31-01-2005, 05:53 AM
  5. Who is the best number 6 batsman in Tests right now?
    By scud101 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 08:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •