Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 70

Thread: Why australian batsmen score more century at Home ??

  1. #46
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    No he won't. If Symonds starts averaging 50+ over the next three or four years without getting dropped everytime he makes a decent score, then he'll be a good batsman.
    It'd depend - if he needed let-offs to score most of his big scores, as he has done so far, then he'd not be that good at all.

    Hopefully he won't get them.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #47
    99*
    99* is offline
    International Debutant 99*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It'd depend - if he needed let-offs to score most of his big scores, as he has done so far, then he'd not be that good at all.

    Hopefully he won't get them.
    Why are we judging a player based on how bad his opposition played? The batsman just hit's the ball to score runs. It should not reflect on him if the fielder/bowler can't do their job.

  3. #48
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    The batsman's job is to score runs. If he requires the fielder's (or wicketkeeper's, or Umpire's, or whoever) help to score them, it's not through the calibre of his own play that the runs have come.

  4. #49
    99*
    99* is offline
    International Debutant 99*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The batsman's job is to score runs. If he requires the fielder's (or wicketkeeper's, or Umpire's, or whoever) help to score them, it's not through the calibre of his own play that the runs have come.
    Wait, so your saying that once a batsman gets a chance they no longer 'earn' their runs? That doesn't seem fair at all.


  5. #50
    International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    Wait, so your saying that once a batsman gets a chance they no longer 'earn' their runs? That doesn't seem fair at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

    Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society

  6. #51
    Hall of Fame Member Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    15,463
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    Wait, so your saying that once a batsman gets a chance they no longer 'earn' their runs? That doesn't seem fair at all.
    Haha, Welcome to CW.
    ★★★★★

  7. #52
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    Wait, so your saying that once a batsman gets a chance they no longer 'earn' their runs? That doesn't seem fair at all.
    Any runs scored after a let-off are obviously different from those scored from the start of the innings without let-offs.

    Not worthless, of course, but it pretty well goes without saying that runs scored after a let-off wouldn't have been scored under normal (ie, when you do something that should result in dismissal you get dismissal) circumstances.

  8. #53
    International Debutant slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    2,002
    Nah, you basically, well, not you but as a team deserve a no-ball run. Otherwise we would do no balls every ball

  9. #54
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    10,260
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Nah, you basically, well, not you but as a team deserve a no-ball run. Otherwise we would do no balls every ball
    Hand's up anyone who has the foggiest idea what that means.

  10. #55
    99*
    99* is offline
    International Debutant 99*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Any runs scored after a let-off are obviously different from those scored from the start of the innings without let-offs.

    Not worthless, of course, but it pretty well goes without saying that runs scored after a let-off wouldn't have been scored under normal (ie, when you do something that should result in dismissal you get dismissal) circumstances.
    But that's based on an assumption that runs scored by a batsman given a let-off would not be scored by the next batsman. (e.g.- Say an opener gets a 'chance' on 20*, and goes to score 220. By your reasoning the batsman/team have been handed 200 runs. But then I could say, IF the 'chance' was taken what would stop the next batsman scoring that 200?)

  11. #56
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It is quite possibly an aberration, but eight Tests are what you'd expect any player in any country, and passing 20 only once in 8 Tests is too dire to ignore. It's not like one series, where you could pass it off. This is three separate tours over eight years. I mean you could if you were talking about a good, even great player. Which Ponting clearly is. But what we're talking about is one of the best of all time, and in that, the standards are much higher.
    Nah having seen Ponting bat in India in 98, 01 & 04 i definately do think his failing in India 2001 is really just an abberation. Not saying he is the greatest player of spin either but i don't think he is as bad as it has been made out over the years on CW.

  12. #57
    Hall of Fame Member Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    15,463
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Nah having seen Ponting bat in India in 98, 01 & 04 i definately do think his failing in India 2001 is really just an abberation. Not saying he is the greatest player of spin either but i don't think he is as bad as it has been made out over the years on CW.
    I would tend to agree. He has no problems with spin and absolutely no problems with Indian bowlers. It's just in India where for some reason he fails pretty badly.

  13. #58
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,303
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    I would tend to agree. He has no problems with spin and absolutely no problems with Indian bowlers. It's just in India where for some reason he fails pretty badly.
    may be its then the fans i think ????

    he is not used to such noise..he has failed in the 2 games in ipl and both where full house...is he a failure in ODI too..then it has to be indian fans
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  14. #59
    Hall of Fame Member Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Don't leave me Murph!
    Posts
    15,463
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    may be its then the fans i think ????

    he is not used to such noise..he has failed in the 2 games in ipl and both where full house...is he a failure in ODI too..then it has to be indian fans
    Bad form of Ponting; good form of Indians; just bad luck (lot of 0s); maybe a combination of spin/Indian pitches; there can many reasons. But Ponting is strong against spin and more than strong against Indian bowlers away. So it's a weird thing that he fails so miserably in India because logically he has all the tools to succeed.
    Last edited by Ikki; 21-04-2008 at 01:46 AM.

  15. #60
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    But that's based on an assumption that runs scored by a batsman given a let-off would not be scored by the next batsman. (e.g.- Say an opener gets a 'chance' on 20*, and goes to score 220. By your reasoning the batsman/team have been handed 200 runs. But then I could say, IF the 'chance' was taken what would stop the next batsman scoring that 200?)
    1: yes, of course that could happen (unlikely, of course, but perfectly conceivable)
    2: why on Earth does what one batsman does (or might do) matter when assessing another batsman?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best ODI Batsmen Not To Score A Ton
    By gettingbetter in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 28-08-2007, 04:00 PM
  2. Did i score the fastest double century on this forum?
    By rodzilla1010 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 05:00 AM
  3. Were the Australian batsmen Overrated?
    By Arrow in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 18-08-2005, 03:44 PM
  4. First to score an ODI double century
    By Barney Rubble in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 08:53 AM
  5. Australian ODI batsmen (past & present)
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 28-04-2004, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •