• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why australian batsmen score more century at Home ??

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am not so sure this is very significant except in the case of Hayden.

Lets compare the record of the leading current Indian batsmen against the leading Australian batsmen and see the innings/century (much fairer than tests per century). We find that Only Ganguly of the top five Indian batsmen has a significantly better home record in this regard. Dravid on the other hand has a better away record. The overall record of the five Indians is about same away and at home.

I left out Yuvraj since he hasn't played enough test cricket (particularly at home) yet for his figures to be really relevant.

Code:
	                Home				Away				
        Tests	Innings	100's	I/100	Tests	Innings	100's	I/100	Diff(+/-)
Ganguly	46	76	7	10.9	60	98	7	14.0	-3.1
Dravid	53	92	9	10.2	69	118	16	7.4	2.8
Laxman	40	63	5	12.6	53	88	7	12.6	0.0
Sehwag	25	43	7	6.1	32	53	7	7.6	-1.4
SRT	63	103	16	6.4	84	135	23	5.9	0.6
[B]Overall	227	377	44	8.6	298	492	60	8.2	0.4[/B]
When you look at the current Aussies (I have included the very recently retired Gilchrist you find that of those who have played a lot of test cricket, Hayden shows a better record at home which is off set by Gilchrists better away record. Ponting is more or less even. I left out Hussey for reasons similar to Yuvraj. He has played only five matches away from home just as Yuvi has played only as many at home.

The fourth player in the Aussie list, Clarke shows a BIG bias in favour of home games but he has played so few games compared to the other three that it still doesn't make much of a difference to the overall Aussie record which shows a better performance at home but not by much.

Code:
		HOME				AWAY			
                Tests	Innings	100's	I/100	Tests	Innings	100's	I/100	Diff (+/-)
Gilchrist	 55	75	7	10.7	41	62	10	6.2	4.5
Hayden     	51	89	21	4.2	43	78	9	8.7	-4.4
Ponting     	68	112	19	5.9	48	81	15	5.4	0.5
Clarke       	19	27	5	5.4	14	23	1	23.0	-17.6
[B]Overall      	193	303	52	5.8	146	244	35	7.0	-1.1[/B]

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS is here again. :notworthy

Having just checked your recent post history I find you've been here on-and-off for the last 2 months. :wacko: But having not noticed that I was getting worried about you. :)

BTW, any chance you could add your part?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As others have said, it really isn't much of a talking point with the aforementioned players apart from Hayden who has a significant distance between his home and away records. However, even that's mitigated somewhat considering he averages about 70 at the Gabba which is one of the most liveliest pitches in the world.

Australia has been so great away, it's not that unusual to see them even better at home - as teams usually are.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS is here again. :notworthy

Having just checked your recent post history I find you've been here on-and-off for the last 2 months. :wacko: But having not noticed that I was getting worried about you. :)
Oh I have just been busy with finishing my new home (which is now done) and then with a big house warming party for which we had family and friends visiting from all over and staying for upto 2 weeks !! Then we took time off to recuperate :)

Thanks for the concern Richard

BTW, any chance you could add your part?
Done.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh I have just been busy with finishing my new home (which is now done) and then with a big house warming party for which we had family and friends visiting from all over and staying for upto 2 weeks !! Then we took time off to recuperate :)
Daym, sounds good. Hope you'll be back to regular participation now.

Precambrian

Banned
The simple reason is that Australia and England play more home tests than any other country. (Can someone put stats for English batters also?). No wonder Ricky's test runs look so awesomely skewed in favor of home runs against away runs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think in my book this comes down to Australian pitches being the flattest ones around in the world. The bounce is consistent and the ball comes on to the bat, simply speaking if you get out on Australian pitches you only have yourself to blame. It does not come as a surprise to me that Australian batsmen have feasted in these conditions, largely because they have played a plethora of bowlers who were either incompetent or rendered unpenetrative as a result of the conditions. Not to take away from the quality of the list of players put up there, but the basic fact is that in the last decade there has been nothing in the pitches or the conditions(with the odd exception) to assist bowlers.
Australian conditions have definitely become easier for batting but, having said that, McGrath & Co havent had too many problems humbling the opposition

Bottom line is that either some opposition players arent as good as their stats would have you believe or some Australians are better - probably a combination of the 2

Precambrian

Banned
Australian conditions have definitely become easier for batting but, having said that, McGrath & Co havent had too many problems humbling the opposition

Bottom line is that either some opposition players arent as good as their stats would have you believe or some Australians are better - probably a combination of the 2
McGrath & Warne could do well literally anywhere in the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sometimes because opposition have simply fallen in a heap.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The simple reason is that Australia and England play more home tests than any other country. (Can someone put stats for English batters also?). No wonder Ricky's test runs look so awesomely skewed in favor of home runs against away runs.
He averages about 53 (which is about the same as Tendulkar) away from home. Not sure how skewed that is and how many batsmen match that record. His away average is even that just because of India. Disregarding India he averages a whopping 62 away.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This will bite you on the ass in 5 years time if he has 20 odd test tons :laugh:
Nah, he'll remain a crap player however many Test centuries he gets ITBT. Not that there's any chance whatsoever of him getting 20.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, he'll remain a crap player however many Test centuries he gets ITBT.
No he won't. If Symonds starts averaging 50+ over the next three or four years without getting dropped everytime he makes a decent score, then he'll be a good batsman.

Not that I can see it happening.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He averages about 53 (which is about the same as Tendulkar) away from home. Not sure how skewed that is and how many batsmen match that record.
Not sure where you are getting your data from but Ponting's away average is 51.34, Whereas Tendulkar's Away Average is 55.58.

His away average is even that just because of India. Disregarding India he averages a whopping 62 away.
And why would you disregard India ? Because it suits your argument ?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He averages about 53 (which is about the same as Tendulkar) away from home. Not sure how skewed that is and how many batsmen match that record. His away average is even that just because of India. Disregarding India he averages a whopping 62 away.
Hhahahaahahah.

Let's remove the weaknesses of everyone's records now hey.

Sami, taking away all the games he got smashed around the park in, is a pretty damn good bowler then.

sideshowtim

Banned
Hhahahaahahah.

Sami, taking away all the games he got smashed around the park in, is a pretty damn good bowler then.
I think it just shows that his record in India is a bit of an abberation. He has had great success in all other parts of Asia and overseas so...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure where you are getting your data from but Ponting's away average is 51.34, Whereas Tendulkar's Away Average is 55.58.
Ponting has matches on neutral soil - notice the term: away from home. They were very good knocks in very tough matches.

Tendulkar averages 55.58 counting Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

And why would you disregard India ? Because it suits your argument ?
No, I am not saying we should disregard it. But it gives you another picture of his performance away from home seeing as his only performances in India drag his away average down. It's quite a difference that Ponting averages 62 everywhere else and about 15 in India.

Hhahahaahahah.

Read the above. Not my intention to remove Ponting's weakness. I thought it gave a another look into his record. It's quite telling what I pointed out. If you think it doesn't matter, then it still doesn't matter because his away record is still very good.

Your comparison also doesn't make any sense. Ponting has only been poor in one country. Not even two.

Last edited: