• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden vs Sehwag (+ other tasty treats)

Who is the better batter?

• Sehwag and I care about FCA (first chance average)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Sehwag and I don't care about FCA

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Hayden and I care about FCA

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Hayden and I don't care about FCA

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Richard

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden has this bad habit of losing his wicket as soon as he passes his 100 in tests. But Sewhag once he gets a 100, ensures that it is big. That is a positive for Sehwag.
Yeah it is, though Hayden's is no doubt a problem more batsmen would like to have.

Reckon this one's closer than everyone thinks.

My main issue with Hayden is that he dominated on the hard, true surfaces at home but away was merely decent.
Haydos's record is only okayish in England, NZL and South Africa
and his record in India is somewhat overplayed - he was brilliant against an understrength Indian attack in 2001 but didn't have anywhere near that kind of success against stronger Indian attacks in 2004 and 2008.

Sir Alex

Banned
Reckon this one's closer than everyone thinks.

My main issue with Hayden is that he dominated on the hard, true surfaces at home but away was merely decent.
Haydos's record is only okayish in England, NZL and South Africa
and his record in India is somewhat overplayed - he was brilliant against an understrength Indian attack in 2001 but didn't have anywhere near that kind of success against stronger Indian attacks in 2004 and 2008.
That is the ey thing here. Hayden was phenomenal in 2001 but could not repeat that and he was a pale shadow of that in 2008. Hayden's away average is a good indicator overall of his ability to perform on varied surfaces.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is the ey thing here. Hayden was phenomenal in 2001 but could not repeat that and he was a pale shadow of that in 2008. Hayden's away average is a good indicator overall of his ability to perform on varied surfaces.
He is still very very good though.. And perhaps, for me, a tad more likely to fight out swinging conditions than Sehwag (neither are very good there though, tbh)... So that needs to be considered as well... While I do not think Sehwag is as fallible as subshakerz and aussie would have us believe, he does have his deficiencies on seaming and swinging tracks... Either way, will be rather glad if those two were opening for me, against anyone anywhere..

Sir Alex

Banned
He is still very very good though.. And perhaps, for me, a tad more likely to fight out swinging conditions than Sehwag (neither are very good there though, tbh)... So that needs to be considered as well... While I do not think Sehwag is as fallible as subshakerz and aussie would have us believe, he does have his deficiencies on seaming and swinging tracks... Either way, will be rather glad if those two were opening for me, against anyone anywhere..
I agree. Sehwag has to prove himself in tests in New Zealand, and England and to some extent in SA as well. But in sheer terms of demoralising opposition, he is ahead of Hayden.

Sehwag to me is like Gilchrist rather than Hayden.

When he's on song, it doesn't matter what the pitch is like. He'll get runs and he'll get them in a hurry.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. Sehwag has to prove himself in tests in New Zealand, and England and to some extent in SA as well. But in sheer terms of demoralising opposition, he is ahead of Hayden.
Debatable. Sehwag scores at an unbelievable rate, but Hayden comes down half-way down the pitch to belt you everywhere around the pitch. Both are very demoralising for a bowler.

Sir Alex

Banned
Debatable. Sehwag scores at an unbelievable rate, but Hayden comes down half-way down the pitch to belt you everywhere around the pitch. Both are very demoralising for a bowler.
I don't think he ever intimidated bowlers when conditions were tough... he walked only to the likes of Irfan Pathan, Ajit Agarkar etc. Sehwag doesn't give even Muralitharan a damn.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think he ever intimidated bowlers when conditions were tough... he walked only to the likes of Irfan Pathan, Ajit Agarkar etc. Sehwag doesn't give even Muralitharan a damn.
Was walking down the pitch in 05/06 vs S.Africa. It epitomised him when in form. And Hayden also gave Murali a right belting.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I can't split them tbh. Hayden had the intimidating body language and the walk down the pitch, and scored his runs quickly. Sehwag intimidates with his shots, and scores 20 runs more than Hayden every 100 balls, he's a freak. Atm, Hayden gets the nod for me. Would be a fairer comparison when Sehwag completes 100 tests.

Neither of them beat Anwar + Hussain though.