• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fleming believes Murali is no longer a threat

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand's batsmen were no longer worried by ace spinner Muttiah Muralitharan's tweakers, skipper Stephen Fleming said on Saturday ahead of the second and final test against Sri Lanka.

"We've seen almost everything he can bowl, he's no more a threat than he was a week ago," said Fleming. Fleming posted 174 not out and 69 not out in the two New Zealand innings of the first test, where Muralitharan met with little success by his lofty standards.

Muralitharan claimed three wickets in the first innings and two in the second, but New Zealand had virtually insured against a defeat by that time.

The New Zealand batsmen adopted the safety-first approach against Muralitharan that kept the pad ahead of the bat and helped smother Muralitharan's prodigious spin.

"If you show the right technique, you can handle him with ease," Fleming said.

"Considering the amount of spin he produces, he's relatively easy to play.

"The more he turns the ball, the easier it becomes for a batsmen to play him."

Fleming acknowledged Muralitharan can turn the ball on any surface, so the batsmen always needed to be watchful.

"Murali can turn it on anything, we've all seen that," he said.

"But it isn't easy to hit the stumps with such sharp spin."

Before the start of the series, Fleming had termed Sri Lanka a "one-man team" with Muralitharan the biggest threat to any side visiting the island nation.

Having overcome the fear of Sri Lanka's four-pronged spin attack, Fleming's team was looking to an improved show in the second test.

But coming back to his home ground in Kandy where he claimed a career-best nine for 51 in one innings against Zimbabwe, Muralitharan remained a major threat.

"It's not that he's become predictable, but the guys have spent a lot of time on how to play Murali ... I think that's worked out," Fleming said.

Source: AAP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a bold statement for Fleming to make, and if NZ can prove it against Murali in the 2nd test then maybe they have worked out how to play him.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Lol Never Ever Under estimate someone like Murali , and 1 day new zealand could amass totals against him and next day crumble easily ...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I would take that statement as only a part of Fleming's mind games tactics, till the NZ batsman really prove me wrong at the end of the series, if at all.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would hope that NZ are confident & serious about this rather than trying to fire Murali up & pretend that they know what they are doing.

krkode

State Captain
Well, he just seems to be playing word games. As much as I admire Fleming and his opinion, I know Murali can do better.

It's similar to what some people thought after India bashed Sri Lanka for 373, and Ganguly with 183 in the World Cup. What happens a couple of months later - 7/30 by Murali and 54 all out in the very next match.... :wow: