• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing knights

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
A quick question: are there any players alive today that you think deserve a knighthood for services to cricket? I would say Brian Lara for one.

masterblaster

International Captain
There was news recently that Gordon Brown wanted to reward Sachin Tendulkar with a knighthood once he retires. Gordon Brown I think was in favour of Indian's starting to receive the honour once more. If he gets his way and all the formalities are approved, then one would expect Tendulkar to receive the knighthood sooner or later. I personally would love to see it happen.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's a bit of a pity Australia doesn't accept knighthoods anymore; Sir Richie Benaud & Sir Stephen Waugh both have rings to them.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Are Australia or India like the US - ie Queen can confer knighthood, conferee can accept it but not use the title.

Incidentally, Tendulkar was awarded India's second highest civilian honor (Padma Vibhushan) this year. So he has that type of recognition already. Does Australia have a similar system?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are Australia or India like the US - ie Queen can confer knighthood, conferee can accept it but not use the title.

Incidentally, Tendulkar was awarded India's second highest civilian honor (Padma Vibhushan) this year. So he has that type of recognition already. Does Australia have a similar system?
Yes we do. Order of Australia Medals, being OAMs, AMs, ACs are awarded as civil honours here since about the 1980s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure if Sri Lankan knighthoods are done, but if so Sir Muttiah Muralitharan would indeed have a very nice ring, for so many reasons.

Sir Brian Lara is simply a must. To fail to follow Sir George Headley, Sir Everton Weekes, Sir Garfield Sobers and Sir Vivian Richards (not to mention Sir Frank Worrell and Sir Clyde Walcott and possibly others I've missed as well) would be non-sequiteur. Lara is arguably a better batsman than Weekes and Richards.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing is, I've never really been a big fan of awarding knighthoods to cricketers purely because of how good they were as a player. IMO there has to be some other contribution to the sport, coaching clinics, years of commentary/press work or something like that. Failing that, even a combination of cricketing genius and charity work would be a worthy thing.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali (if SL do have knighthoods) certainly fits that requirement, he did fantastic work after the tsunami.

That completely changed my opinion of the man.