• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If a cricketer's career was a tune...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Trying to do a Neil Young theme.

Steve Waugh - Heart of Gold, for his charity work
Sreesanth - Don't Cry (No Tears)
Justin Langer - Ambulance Blues
Symonds/Hayden/Bhaji - Words
W.G. Grace - Old Man
Jaffar, Harmison any other player not likely to be reselected - Don't Let It Bring You Down
Hansie Cronje - Tell Me Why
Shane Warne - A Man Needs A Maid
Shane Warne - Lookin' For A Lover
Harmison - Why Do I Keep *$#?ing Up?
Adil Rashid - Comes A Time
Marcus Trescothick - Oh Lonesome Me
Ravi Bopra - I Believe In You
Ed Giddens - Powderfinger
Stephen Fleming, Andre Nel and other SA players - Mellow My Mind
Alex Higgins - Hurricane
Dermot Reeve - Needle And The Damage Done?

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Dermot Reeve - Needle And The Damage Done?
Don't know too much about him: smack addict or diabetic?

Always a song that comes to the forefront when talking about Neil, but I can't too many cricketers with drug problems. Drug usage yes, but drug problems I'm not too sure about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far of what I've read, Reeve has just tried cocaine, no injecting.
He was a full-blown addict, not sure whether it was sniffing, swallowing, injecting or whatever (all equally 'orrible) but he had to resign from his C4 commentary job due to it, having turned-up late for shifts and the 'ole kaboodle. He lost quite a bit though it, must be said.

Don't know how much written coverage there has been of it, though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But now he's living in a nice house in Queenstown. And charms everyone with occasional stints in the commentary box during NZ home games.

Flem274*

123/5
Not a bad commentator either. Not brilliant but isn't annoying.

Hope Fleming gets into commentary now. He outclasses all bar Smith in the NZ box.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Ricky Ponting - Power and the Passion by Midnight Oil (some would argue that he takes passion for his country a little too far)
Sreesanth - No More Tears by Ozzy Osbourne
Harbhajan Singh - ****ing Hostile by Pantera
Doug Bollinger - Movin' On Up by Primal Scream
Javed Miandad - Territory by Sepultura (according to Steve Waugh, he referred to Pakistan as "my turf")

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Check it out. Not sure at all what you're into, of course, but it's one I rather like - it's the first song I heard upon starting to listen to "oldies" radio and has some sort of special place in my heart.
Oh, this song. Hmm...I dunno...any song featuring Phil Collins automatically qualifies as a 'guilty pleasure', IMO - at best. At worst, I can't stand him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Only Brian Adams-

Please Forgive Me - H. Cronje
The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me is You - S. Tendulkar with his bat
Cloud No. 9 - S. Afridi
Everything I Do - S. Warne
Here I Am - S. Ganguly
Summer of '69 - D. Underwood
Cuts Like A Knife - V. Sehwag

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bryan TBH.

Another couple from him:
Run To You - IIRR, it was Andy Flower and Arnoldous Blignaut in the WC2003 game against Kenya (where both ended-up diving for the same crease). Certainly something along those lines.
Heaven - could be any batsman who plays especially attractive strokes really.
Could do two from Cronje actually - both Please Forgive Me and Can't Stop This Thing We Started.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, this song. Hmm...I dunno...any song featuring Phil Collins automatically qualifies as a 'guilty pleasure', IMO - at best. At worst, I can't stand him.
Haha, love much of his work ITBT. :ph34r:

Speaking of which...
Something Happened On The Way To Heaven - Vinod Kambli or anyone who started sensationally then crashed.
Another Day In Paradise - Alec Stewart at Old Trafford in 2002 when he confounded those who thought he was finished.
Easy Lover - (yeah, he's been mentioned loads) Shane Warne
One More Night - the 2007 World Cup or 2004 Champions Trophy finals
In The Air Tonight - Shahid Afridi
There's probably more which could be used, but I CBA.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
BTW, for anyone who has seen my Neil Young post on the previous page, did anyone notice the last player? Thought it would of got a laugh if not a few.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did think "has he just put a snooker player in there? :huh:" but as no-one had said anything in the 14 hours between you posting it and me looking at it thought I'd best not mention it. :ph34r:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Haha, love much of his work ITBT. :ph34r:
:ph34r:, indeed.

Hasan Raza - School's Out by Alice Cooper (a referral to his supposed debut age)
Justin Langer - Man in the Box by Alice in Chains (thought of as gritty by many, when, in practice, he was too explosive)
Shane Warne - Smokin' by Boston
Hansie Cronje - Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode :ph34r:
Glenn McGrath - Jane Says by Jane's Addiction (his wife is named Jane)