• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka's post World Cup ODI form

pasag

RTDAS
How have they gotten so relatively poor so quickly? They were looking like such a good side in the WC and since then they've lost series against Pakistan, England at home, didn't make the finals in the CB series and now lost to the WI.

What's the deal?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indies series isn't a great reflection on their slump, given the squad composition. For one, they're without 3 of their choice seamers (Malinga, Fernando and Maharoof) and their choice spinner (Murali). Jayasuriya and Arnold are also gone, of the squad that reached the WC final last year. It just seems that there've been several changes of personnel since the WC last year, and I'd think that that's unsettled the team greatly.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was an average World Cup, in general, in terms of the standard.

There were only 2 teams realistically capable of winning the thing. The others would knock each other about depending on form.

Sri Lanka had certain players that hit good form and they were the best, during the month or so, outside the top 2.

Due to South African mistakes they ended up facing Aus in the semis. Australia dumped the 2nd best team in the World out and went on to beat the best of the rest (Sri Lanka) in the final.

I think the key points about then to now are a) all nations outside the select few are of a roughly similar standard. b) results go on form of a few key players rather than reflecting the overall strength of a country.

IE its tough to use recent results as a guide for future ones as the difference is small that the loss of form or getting in 'nick' of just a couple of players can turn a series result around.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I think it was an average World Cup, in general, in terms of the standard.
Below average, arguably. Lou Vincent not laying a bat on Anderson Cummins' medium-pace outswingers during the first few deliveries epitomised the tournament from my perspective - an embarassment, even by what I was expecting (I'm not Lou Vincent's biggest fan, if you get the hint).

As for Sri Lanka, perhaps the fact that they've lost both Atapattu and Jayasuriya has affected them somewhat, given that both are supremely experienced players and possibly talismanic, as well. There are other reasons, but I couldn't be bothered finding out what they are, TBH.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Players peaked at the right time, nothing more nothing less really. There weren't really any great signs apart from maybe a improved pace attack that we were going to keep the form going. If it was a team full of youngsters you would expect them to keep the form up and improve. But it was mainly a team a mid aged players and experienced players.

Mind you I still think the lost of Tom Moody was biggest effect we had on our side. He really was the main reason why some of our average players put in dominent performances. The fact that NSW won another title this season, showed how little impact Bayliss had on the NSW. As a coach he is good manager of men, but doesn't have the ability to get the most out of lesser players. Which is what Sri Lanka really need.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're probably about to start/ have started a pretty significant rebuilding phase. A number of players have been out of the recent WI series, while they struck two pretty hot sides in the CB series out here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jayasuriya, if rumours are to be believed, soon to be gone. Vaas seemingly almost certain to be gone.

If so, sooner the better for my money, then we can get a clearer picture.

tooextracool

International Coach
How have they gotten so relatively poor so quickly? They were looking like such a good side in the WC and since then they've lost series against Pakistan, England at home, didn't make the finals in the CB series and now lost to the WI.

What's the deal?
The reason being, surprise surprise, they werent very good ITFP. Sri Lanka are a very ordinary test and ODI outfit, that is fact. Despite the largely humorous comments made by Sangakarra that the top 3 teams were playing the tri series in Australia, IMO Sri Lanka were simply the best of a very poor group in the world cup. Essentially, they played in conditions that largely suited them (and Bangladesh) and had a couple of players hit form at the right time.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

What's the deal?
They still rely way too much on Sanath doing the business for them. Unless he fires I don't see them winning unless Sanga plays a blinder.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think most people who follow Sri Lanka realized that the performance of the World Cup wasn’t the beginning - it was the end. And we have a fair way yet to fall.

Tom Moody tenure was a bandaid on an open sore. The selectors had already mismanaged senior players for over a decade. If you ran business and 11 out of your 15 staff were aged 55 years and over, you would prepare for the day they hung it up. So of course when coach, who was not of international standard (see. Trevor Bayliss), took hold of the reigns it was too late, the horse had already bolted.

Case in point: Sanath Jayasuriya. Jayasuriya has had way too much of an influence over the performances of Sri Lanka's batting line-up for far too long. Our entire success in ODI cricket since De Silva retired has been on the back of Jayasuriya. But since he's stopped scoring consistently, he's been retained as a keepsake rather than a batsman.