Cricket Betting Site Betway

Thread: Sri Lanka's post World Cup ODI form

Sri Lanka's post World Cup ODI form

How have they gotten so relatively poor so quickly? They were looking like such a good side in the WC and since then they've lost series against Pakistan, England at home, didn't make the finals in the CB series and now lost to the WI.

What's the deal?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    The West Indies series isn't a great reflection on their slump, given the squad composition. For one, they're without 3 of their choice seamers (Malinga, Fernando and Maharoof) and their choice spinner (Murali). Jayasuriya and Arnold are also gone, of the squad that reached the WC final last year. It just seems that there've been several changes of personnel since the WC last year, and I'd think that that's unsettled the team greatly.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I think it was an average World Cup, in general, in terms of the standard.

There were only 2 teams realistically capable of winning the thing. The others would knock each other about depending on form.

Sri Lanka had certain players that hit good form and they were the best, during the month or so, outside the top 2.

Due to South African mistakes they ended up facing Aus in the semis. Australia dumped the 2nd best team in the World out and went on to beat the best of the rest (Sri Lanka) in the final.

I think the key points about then to now are a) all nations outside the select few are of a roughly similar standard. b) results go on form of a few key players rather than reflecting the overall strength of a country.

IE its tough to use recent results as a guide for future ones as the difference is small that the loss of form or getting in 'nick' of just a couple of players can turn a series result around.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I think it was an average World Cup, in general, in terms of the standard.
    Below average, arguably. Lou Vincent not laying a bat on Anderson Cummins' medium-pace outswingers during the first few deliveries epitomised the tournament from my perspective - an embarassment, even by what I was expecting (I'm not Lou Vincent's biggest fan, if you get the hint).

As for Sri Lanka, perhaps the fact that they've lost both Atapattu and Jayasuriya has affected them somewhat, given that both are supremely experienced players and possibly talismanic, as well. There are other reasons, but I couldn't be bothered finding out what they are, TBH.
    Last edited by DaRick; 14-04-2008 at 06:49 AM.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Players peaked at the right time, nothing more nothing less really. There weren't really any great signs apart from maybe a improved pace attack that we were going to keep the form going. If it was a team full of youngsters you would expect them to keep the form up and improve. But it was mainly a team a mid aged players and experienced players.

Mind you I still think the lost of Tom Moody was biggest effect we had on our side. He really was the main reason why some of our average players put in dominent performances. The fact that NSW won another title this season, showed how little impact Bayliss had on the NSW. As a coach he is good manager of men, but doesn't have the ability to get the most out of lesser players. Which is what Sri Lanka really need.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Banned
    They're probably about to start/ have started a pretty significant rebuilding phase. A number of players have been out of the recent WI series, while they struck two pretty hot sides in the CB series out here.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Jayasuriya, if rumours are to be believed, soon to be gone. Vaas seemingly almost certain to be gone.

If so, sooner the better for my money, then we can get a clearer picture.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    How have they gotten so relatively poor so quickly? They were looking like such a good side in the WC and since then they've lost series against Pakistan, England at home, didn't make the finals in the CB series and now lost to the WI.

What's the deal?
    The reason being, surprise surprise, they werent very good ITFP. Sri Lanka are a very ordinary test and ODI outfit, that is fact. Despite the largely humorous comments made by Sangakarra that the top 3 teams were playing the tri series in Australia, IMO Sri Lanka were simply the best of a very poor group in the world cup. Essentially, they played in conditions that largely suited them (and Bangladesh) and had a couple of players hit form at the right time.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post

What's the deal?
    They still rely way too much on Sanath doing the business for them. Unless he fires I don't see them winning unless Sanga plays a blinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I think most people who follow Sri Lanka realized that the performance of the World Cup wasn’t the beginning - it was the end. And we have a fair way yet to fall.

Tom Moody tenure was a bandaid on an open sore. The selectors had already mismanaged senior players for over a decade. If you ran business and 11 out of your 15 staff were aged 55 years and over, you would prepare for the day they hung it up. So of course when coach, who was not of international standard (see. Trevor Bayliss), took hold of the reigns it was too late, the horse had already bolted.

Case in point: Sanath Jayasuriya. Jayasuriya has had way too much of an influence over the performances of Sri Lanka's batting line-up for far too long. Our entire success in ODI cricket since De Silva retired has been on the back of Jayasuriya. But since he's stopped scoring consistently, he's been retained as a keepsake rather than a batsman.

Thread Information