• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vivian Richards 189*

Swervy

International Captain

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think there's any 'probably' about it. Clearly the best ODI knock IMO.

ret

International Debutant
Kapil's 175* is right up there .... Kapil's would probably be the best ODI knock ever

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They were both under pressure, this was against a better attack though. But Kapil's came in the WC. I'd give it to Richards personally.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, I'd give it to Richards too. Far stronger bowling attack on a pitch which suited them after they'd just wrecked the top-order.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yep, I'd give it to Richards too. Far stronger bowling attack on a pitch which suited them after they'd just wrecked the top-order.
The pitch suited the fast bowling in Zimbabwe too, 17/5 is no easy time to come in. Still give it to Richards, but Kapil's innings was also on a very good pitch for bowlers.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The pitch suited the fast bowling in Zimbabwe too, 17/5 is no easy time to come in. Still give it to Richards, but Kapil's innings was also on a very good pitch for bowlers.
Wasn't trying to denigrate Kapil's knock. Richards' only just shades it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wasn't trying to denigrate Kapil's knock. Richards' only just shades it.
I know, I was just pointing out that the ball was doing a lot, plus there was more pressure being 17/5 and being in a WC match. The English attack was obviously much better, so Richards innings is better.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I was fortunate enough to be present at the Richards knock in 1984. There are many things to take into account when judging the greatest ODI innings ever. A while ago someone started a thread on great ODI knocks and I mentioned the innings by Steve Waugh against South Africa in the 1999 World Cup. Taking into account the fact that Australia were on their way out of the World Cup on a difficult pitch against quality bowling I rate it as one of the best ever. Of course it wasn't chanceless (Mr Gibbs) and wasn't full of electric stroke play but in the circumstance of the game and the tournament it was a great match winning innings. Of course there'll always be those who think the innings can't be rated as great because of one shot, but fortunately those are few and very far between.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Love how he parades around like a panther on the prowl, lord and master, surveying his domain. The inimitable swagger. Tradition is for trudgers. Notice how he moves away exposing all stumps to a ball headed down leg-side, yet hits it towards off, missing the bowler. A statement of intent. I can toy with you anyway I please. I am King Richards the VIV

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was fortunate enough to be present at the Richards knock in 1984. There are many things to take into account when judging the greatest ODI innings ever. A while ago someone started a thread on great ODI knocks and I mentioned the innings by Steve Waugh against South Africa in the 1999 World Cup. Taking into account the fact that Australia were on their way out of the World Cup on a difficult pitch against quality bowling I rate it as one of the best ever. Of course it wasn't chanceless (Mr Gibbs) and wasn't full of electric stroke play but in the circumstance of the game and the tournament it was a great match winning innings. Of course there'll always be those who think the innings can't be rated as great because of one shot, but fortunately those are few and very far between.
Nah, not because of 1 shot.