• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roger Twose - Did England miss him in odis?

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50
ODI 87 81 11 2717 103 38.81 3603 75.40 1 20

Julian87

State Captain
Considering England have been bordering on deplorable in one dayers for at least the last 15 years, I'd say they would have taken him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In retrospect, of course they would. It's hard to think of any country besides Australia that would turn down a top order batsman capable of averaging nearly 40 at a good strike rate. But I dunno, he only really became a good player after he moved to New Zealand...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember he had a real purple patch from mid 1999 to late 2000 where he really showed England his potential. However, whilst his average is close to 40, one 100 in 80-odd ODIs isn't exactly world class. I'm sure England would have wondered during the previously mentioned period if he'd have made their ODI side stronger but then again, from memory the results he managed in England were never that inspiring to hint at an international selection.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England had a decent batting lineup at around the time Twose was at his best - Knight, Hick, Fairbrother, etc.

Might have got a go ahead of Ali Brown though.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ofcourse, they missed him! Roger Twose is a top player! I still remember an innings of his against Australia in the 99 World Cup, which New Zealand went on to win, the ease with which he played Warne and McGrath..you have be a bit better than the rest to be able to do that!

Considering England' below average track record in ODIs, yes Twose is a batsman they badly missed! Infact, even New Zealand missed him! With Astle, Flemming, Twose, Cairns, Horne, New Zealand was a much better ODI side than they are without them!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Twose just might have ended-up better than Fairbrother. Just such a shame he was such a late developer, and that he'd already gone to New Zealand by the time his development started.