Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why dont cricketers try baseball?

Banned

why dont cricketers try baseball?

i play both cricket and basball, i am a average batsmen in cricket but i am amazing at batting in baseball. why dont cricketers try baseball? i really think they would do great because batting in baseball is so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by deira View Post
    i play both cricket and basball, i am a average batsmen in cricket but i am amazing at batting in baseball. why dont cricketers try baseball? i really think they would do great because batting in baseball is so much easier.
    In Aust in the 60s Baseball was a winter sport and many FC cricketers played cricket in the summer and Baseball in the winter, players like the Chappells, Lawry and O'Neil were very good at both, I think the fact that they are now both summer sports has meant choosing
    You know it makes sense.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think Allan Border was talking about playing baseball too, to prepare for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think Allan Border was talking about playing baseball too, to prepare for cricket.
    Any time we have had baseball players trying cricket, it is their fielding that stands out most

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Vic Richardson played baseball for Aus I think, as well as cricket.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

I'm surprised a few more MLB franchises don't come scouting great batsmen as designated hitters. If they made the grade (which I understand would be difficult) they could make a lot of dollars post-retirement.

Guys like Adam Gilchrist who have tremendous eyes and forearm strength could transfer their skills to baseball quite well I think.

U19 Vice-Captain
    There was something about Gilly being approached by MLB a few years ago IIRC.

It is a completely different technique though. It'd be like trying to turn one of the best halfbacks in rugby league into an AFL player.

Cricketer Of The Year
    I can think of no reason why a cricketer should be any good at baseball. The only First Class Cricketer I remember who attempted to take it up as a profession was Ian Pont and he failed miserably...........mind you he wasn't all that successful at cricket either.

No idea how the batsmen and bowlers would fare in the corresponding departments in baseball, but looking at the quality of some of the ground fielding in baseball, I'm pretty sure 90% of all cricketers would look rank amateurs in that department.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deira View Post
    Baseball is not easier though. Batting may be easier at a very very low level of the game, but it takes something special to hit 100mph pitches moving gratuitously through the air. And to throw those pitches with accuracy and action is even more difficult.

Heck even hitting 80mph pitches is a good effort, let alone picking pitches that are in the strike zone. And let's not even get started on how difficult it is to hit a home run under pressure.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    I'm surprised a few more MLB franchises don't come scouting great batsmen as designated hitters. If they made the grade (which I understand would be difficult) they could make a lot of dollars post-retirement.

Guys like Adam Gilchrist who have tremendous eyes and forearm strength could transfer their skills to baseball quite well I think.
    There are enough designated hitters in baseball who would put Gilchrist to shame. These are people who have spent most of their lives playing the sport, and not cricket.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    To be fair, cricket is the most popular summer sport in all the test playing nations so it makes a bit more sense IMO that it takes priority over baseball (or softball, as in New Zealand's case - at least we can win in that!).

I don't necessarily agree that baseball is easier as I'd say that if a professional cricketer was thrown into a (reasonable level) baseball league, having to slog everything to what would effectively be mid wicket to extra cover would be a bit unusual and require a completely different mindset.

Football seems more popular all year 'round in England. But maybe that's just in the south.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Football seems more popular all year 'round in England. But maybe that's just in the south.
    Yes well....that sums up England and their football craziness, the rest follow the summer sport trend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information