• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
President Nixon.
Nixon wasn't that bad. He ended the Vietnam War, for one thing.

Seriously though, Mahela Jayawardene's career bears some similarities. Both failed or have failed against Australia. However, Jayawardene has scored 374 against SA, whereas Inzamam did not have to face Pakistan. There are probably better examples, but this is one, for now.

Inzamam's obviously the superior ODI player, even without looking at the stats. Their ODI careers are often different, but not entirely (again, both underachieved against AUS).

Inzamam>Jayawardene for mine, although neither are that disimilar in skill.

irfan

State Captain
Leverock?

Then again I'm not sure whether Inzamaam has taken any diving slip catches.

Beleg

International Regular
Nixon wasn't that bad. He ended the Vietnam War, for one thing.

Seriously though, Mahela Jayawardene's career bears some similarities. Both failed or have failed against Australia. However, Jayawardene has scored 374 against SA, whereas Inzamam did not have to face Pakistan. There are probably better examples, but this is one, for now.

Inzamam's obviously the superior ODI player, even without looking at the stats. Their ODI careers are often different, but not entirely (again, both underachieved against AUS).

Inzamam>Jayawardene for mine, although neither are that disimilar in skill.
Inzamam is about 10x the player Jayawardene is.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I think the Jayawardene comparison, whilst understanding where he's coming from, is unfair on Inzy who was a much much better batsman.

I think Inzy will sit below Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Dravid and Kallis. I also believe Hayden was a better batsman, but that's debateable.

Inzy was definitely a great, but his record vs. Australia will always be one tarnish on his career. Its hard to state exactly where he stands, but I do believe he wasn't quite as good as Miandad.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yeah I think the Jayawardene comparison, whilst understanding where he's coming from, is unfair on Inzy who was a much much better batsman.

I think Inzy will sit below Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Dravid and Kallis. I also believe Hayden was a better batsman, but that's debateable.

Inzy was definitely a great, but his record vs. Australia will always be one tarnish on his career. Its hard to state exactly where he stands, but I do believe he wasn't quite as good as Miandad.
I think that's a good summary. Inzi, whether fairly or not, would go down as just a notch below the top batsman of the era. His parallels to Miandad's career are remarkably similar. Both were the backbone of Pakistan's batting. Both were considered great batsman, but had the knock of having average records against the best two teams of the era (West Indies, Australia). Miandad does edge Inzi IMO, if only for the fact that he finally prevailed against the might WI in a crucial away series.

funnygirl

State Regular

Miandad Vs WI ?

Beleg

International Regular
^

well Inzi scored a magnificent century against the aussies (in australia) during the 99/00 series.

and the karachi win.

but yeah, Dravid, Ponting, Kallis, Lara and Tendulkar > Inzy.

I still haven't made up my mind about Waugh/Flower/Gary Kirsten/Hayden.

what i do truly believe is that Inzy had it in him to be, potentially, a greater batsman than any of the aforementioned names, with the possible exception of Lara/Tendulkar. the fact that the potential never manifest itself consistently is a huge disappointment.

oh and he's one of the foremost match-winners of all time.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Any one else see parallels to Sehwag (raw talent overcoming basic limitations, on their day outshining the most illustrious players etc)?

Overall Inzi > Sehwag, I would think.

Beleg

International Regular
hmm, what are the limitations in Inzi's case? care to name a better player of out-swing?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
hmm, what are the limitations in Inzi's case? care to name a better player of out-swing?
Yeah, one of the very best when it came to playing top class pace bowling.

I'm really not sure why Inzamam isn't at least compared to people like Kallis and Dravid, because IMO, he wasn't too far off them.

Beleg

International Regular
^

Dravid has achieved more than Inzi did. Kallis, purely as a batsman, is similar. Same goes for Ponting.

but at their respective peaks (in inzy's case, not very often), the only person who can compare with Inzy is Lara, IMO. (among players I have watched)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Out of all those great batsman mentioned (even Dravid), I think at their best, Inzy was the batsman that looked like he had the most control, whatever the match situation, when he was at the crease. Inzy always gave that aura of "don't worry, leave it to me".

All great batsman in this thread have that match winning ability, but Inzy seemed to ooze it more than others.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Out of all those great batsman mentioned (even Dravid), I think at their best, Inzy was the batsman that looked like he had the most control, whatever the match situation, when he was at the crease. Inzy always gave that aura of "don't worry, leave it to me".
Hmm yeah, good point that.

jeevan

International 12th Man
In Inzamam's case his lack of athleticism. Most other people with his physique wouldnt even be international batsmen, let alone break into the top 10.

Beleg

International Regular
Yeah, one of the very best when it came to playing top class pace bowling.

I'm really not sure why Inzamam isn't at least compared to people like Kallis and Dravid, because IMO, he wasn't too far off them.
Even accepting what you have written above, how does that translate into a batting limitation?