cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If They were Playing Today

If They were Playing Today

Players from Yesteryears, Greats and not so great ones, How would they fare against the players of today ?

Let's start with two of the greatest Batsmen of their era, Gavaskar and Richards.

Both would be successful IMO.

Richards would especially be suited to today's play. His attacking batting would be as if not more effective in conditions which are more batsmen friendly.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Viv Richards would still be the greatest player in this era, and Gavaskar the best opener in the world.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman

Man that would be a batting line up. Would give the all powerful West Indies pace attack of 70s and 80s a run for their money.

It been mentioned before when Lara and Richards were discussed and who was better. But it would be interesting to see how Richards would go in the same situations and having more ownership placed on his wicket. Would he be as free flowing if he didn't have the starts that Hayne and Greenridge were providing or knowing he had Lloyd to come if he failed. I'm sure he would be success, but it would interesting if he batted the same and how much that burden would have placed on his batting.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman

Man that would be a batting line up. Would give the all powerful West Indies pace attack of 70s and 80s a run for their money.

It been mentioned before when Lara and Richards were discussed and who was better. But it would be interesting to see how Richards would go in the same situations and having more ownership placed on his wicket. Would he be as free flowing if he didn't have the starts that Hayne and Greenridge were providing or knowing he had Lloyd to come if he failed. I'm sure he would be success, but it would interesting if he batted the same and how much that burden would have placed on his batting.
    Viv Richards would have made a lot more runs had he played in a weaker side and had been the only great batsman in the team. In England in 1976 when he was still trying to establish himself in the side and the West Indies were fresh from the hiding they took in Australia he was prepared to bat forever.......and nearly did.

I believe that Viv Richards would be subject to many plans which may result in a bad series or two, but the overall career of dominance would be much the same.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Cricket Champion!
    Richards would have done just as well and I think if he were in the current WIndies team he would have batted more responsively; resulting in that higher average his detractors seem to want.

As for Sunil, I am not quite sure. Whilst the flat pitches would aid him, the bowling attacks are largely better nowadays and the requirement to score faster shift doubts over him.
    Last edited by Ikki; 13-04-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    ★★★★★

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    Richards would have done just as well and I think if he were in the current WIndies team he would have batted more responsively; resulting in that higher average his detractors seem to want.

As for Sunil, I am not quite sure. Whilst the flat pitches would aid him, the bowling attacks are largely better nowadays and the requirement to score faster shift doubts over him.
    Are you kidding me? Gavaskar played in an era against Hadlee, Lillee, Imran, Willis and the West Indians. Bowling attacks nowadays are either inexperienced, erratic or flat out mediocre. The only bowling that has improved is spin, and Gavaskar was a master at combatting that. Are you telling me you would rather be a batsman in the 70s and 80s than now?

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Are you kidding me? Gavaskar played in an era against Hadlee, Lillee, Imran, Willis and the West Indians. Bowling attacks nowadays are either inexperienced, erratic or flat out mediocre. The only bowling that has improved is spin, and Gavaskar was a master at combatting that. Are you telling me you would rather be a batsman in the 70s and 80s than now?
    Gavaskar faced Lillee for one series and completely failed. Never faced Thommo and Lillee together. Faced Thomson and a much weaker attack. Didn't do that well against the Windies in the 80s - when they actually had a good bowling attack - and failed altogether against England. Gavaskar averages 46 in the 80s. Well-enough, not great, against Hadlee and co, actually was very good against Pakistan.

Yes, I would DEFINITELY rather face bowlers in the 70s... about the 80s, it's debatable.
    Last edited by Ikki; 13-04-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Taking the more literal meaning of Sanz’s ‘today’, looking at the very last Test attacks each team of the top eight played with:

Australia
    Lee
    Clark
    Johnson
    Hogg

New Zealand
    Martin
    Southee
    Vettori
    Patel

England
    Sidebottom
    Anderson
    Broad
    Panesar

Pakistan
    Akhtar
    Sami
    Arafat
    Kaneria

Sri Lanka
    Vaas
    Amerasinghe
    Mirando
    Muralitharan

West Indies
    Powell
    Taylor
    Edwards
    Bravo

India
    Sharma
    Sreesanth
    Singh
    Chawla

South Africa
    Steyn
    Ntini
    Morkel
    Harris

How would Viv and Sunil do? Doubt they’d have too much problem tbh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Champion!
    Ooh, good catch. If by "today" the meaning is the immediate today, then yeah, both would do well. If "today" was in reference to the current era, then no, as said above in previous posts.

They'd both average 55+. No Warne would help Viv as well.

And the fact that you don't think Gavaskar would do well in the 2000s era Kaz is ridiculous. He may not average as much as your God Ponting, nor score as quickly, but if Ian Bell and Collingwood can average mid-40s in this time, then Gavaskar will do just fine.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Gavaskar was the perfect opening batsman, superb technique against the new ball and perfectly capable of digging in when necessary and upping the tempo when it was appropriate (despite an obcession in some quarters with his rather odd innings at Lords in the 1975 World Cup.)

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    They'd both average 55+. No Warne would help Viv as well.

And the fact that you don't think Gavaskar would do well in the 2000s era Kaz is ridiculous. He may not average as much as your God Ponting, nor score as quickly, but if Ian Bell and Collingwood can average mid-40s in this time, then Gavaskar will do just fine.
    LOL, Collingwood and Bell are in the form of their lives, so doesn't impress me.

What I was talking about was not regarding his average - in fact, I never said he'd get less than 50? I think he'd average the same if not more. But I do think he would have been found out much more. Whereas with Richards, I think he'd make Ponting look human.
    Last edited by Ikki; 13-04-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Firstly, Collingwood and Bell aren't supposed to impress you, they back up my point that if average to good batsman like those two can average mid 40s in this era, than all-time greats (both Gavaskar and Viv in Benaud's all-time XI) would do quite well.

What the hell is your definition of doing well anyway?

In this post below...
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    Ooh, good catch. If by "today" the meaning is the immediate today, then yeah, both would do well. If "today" was in reference to the current era, then no, as said above in previous posts.
    ... you suggested that the answer as to whether they would do well in the 2000s is a 'no' for Sunil Gavaskar.

Averaging over 50 in this era is doing well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information